LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:57 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

I am wanting a donor diesel truck for the engine and tranny to go into my 77. I have been looking for awhile now. Checking classifieds like every day. If anybody has one in the Idaho, Oregon, maybe Washington, or withing 8 hour drive area for a good price please let me know. I cant find nothing local. At least for cheap. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 pm 
Step-side Guru

there was one in la pine oregon for $650
This truck runs great, always starts. It is rough looking, plus some rust. It gets 40-50 mpg, 5spd. Just have to many trucks and i cant drive it. Call 541-815-4078 Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

Is this very close to you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Pu ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:43 am 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

ctmandu wrote:
there was one in la pine oregon for $650
This truck runs great, always starts. It is rough looking, plus some rust. It gets 40-50 mpg, 5spd. Just have to many trucks and i cant drive it. Call 541-815-4078 Thanks

I actually am really considering that one. I hope its still there. I bought a diesel luv in Courde Alane for $100. It ended up being a 24hr drive. That truck is a pile of crap. So on to the next one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:57 am 
da LUV masta

Hi Pee-Roy:

For $100, what were you thinking? lol. How bad was the truck such that you couldn't use the drive train? That's all you are wanting, isn't it? Did you bring the truck home with you? For $100 you will probably be able to use some parts and pay for it.

Regarding the truck in LaPine, $650 seems like a fair price. I paid that much for one that the driver door was munched in on. Like you, I was only interested in the drive train so it didn't matter. On that topic, the picture shows the door not closing very well. You may want to ask about that if you are interested in driving it much.

If you did get the $100 truck, I think there was a craigs list item in the Seattle area that was just an engine. If you're doing the swap into a first gen luv, that's about all you want anyhow since the tranny is weak and should be replaced with a 2.3l gasser. At that point you might consider the 2.3 gasser rearend too. The $100 truck would probably provide you with the misc. stuff you need like wiring, etc. Soo many options.

What's your end goal?

Eric Q.

P.S. If you end up with an extra glow plug controller water temp sensor I could use it. I have mine on a manual override right now and would like to go back to factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

well when i called about the truck he said its 100% complete engine and all the parts. If that was true the 100 bux would be worth it to me. it does have perfect fenders and hood though, powersteering, and a good tranny, rearend, a campershell, good glass, oh and a gunrack. but that stuff i dont need. I just wanted a good engine. My plan when I am done is to put the diesel in my 77. Being different. Good fuel milage. And I like diesels anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:23 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

C201 ISUZU diesel engine complete for parts or run, $95 each. 208-896-4916.

would this work?? I just found this in on American Classifieds. Here locally for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:25 pm 
da LUV masta

For $100 I bet you'll be sorry you passed on it if for nothing other than the wiring and misc. parts that make a diesel function.

Good luck,
Eric Q.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hey pee_roy, right off the bat I have to say your 77 LUV is a nice looking truck and it excepting a diesel engine is even better. If you like diesels then you won't regret putting one in the truck as you'll be getting great fuel mileage and at the same time be an efficient show truck. Your best bet is to go with the Isuzu C223 and 5-speed manual trans. As the replacement power to your gas engine, it all should go in fairly easy. And as far as a C201 goes it will go in like the C223, but it's not going to be a beneficial engine because it's an industrial type diesel (which revs low and is not much larger than the G180 gas engine). Just be patient and look for an 81-82 LUV or 81-87 PUP diesel engine/trans and you'll find one sooner then you think. The Isuzus were the most common diesel pickups out of the bunch, so people have tended to hold onto them (not to mention the engine itself). Good luck and post back here with any other questions or help you'll need during the conversion.

Salvy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

yups. That what I am plannin. I have been askin around here locally to just about everyone. I have heard from several people that there is a farm around here with 8 diesel luvs. 8O I am trying to find out who these people are and try to pick one up from them. If not I hope that one in LaPine stays available for me to get some $ next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I talked to a P'up owner in Bartlett (next to Memphis) TN who has one for sale. He recently had the 5-speed replaced with a very low-mileage one, only to lose a timing belt and damage the motor. These things typically bend or break rocker arms, and bend pushrods. While that's not a cheap fix, it generally doesn't bend valves or damage pistons...the motor should be fixable. Here's what he said about it:
Quote:
I have a '87 Isuzu Pup diesel 5 speed. I neglected to change out the timing belt and it broke after 267,000 miles. My mechanic said that fixing it was hopeless. I'd like to sell it (cheap). How should I go about doing this? Thanks for any input.

Anyway, he wants only $500 for it. PM me if you want contact info.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

well i have a rocker arms and push rods but its quite aways away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

yups. That what I am plannin. I have been askin around here locally to just about everyone. I have heard from several people that there is a farm around here with 8 diesel luvs. Shocked I am trying to find out who these people are and try to pick one up from them. If not I hope that one in LaPine stays available for me to get some $ next month.[quote]
i thouht these were considered crappy back then :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:42 am 

sorry guys, I bought the LaPine special! Rust through the frame in places, sprung passenger door, loose driver's side door pins, dents everywhere, leaking heater core, over 200,000 miles, terribly out of ballance front tires, no rear bumper or any place to bolt one on due to rust..... MAN does she run great! 45 MPG from LaPine to Rainier, about 350 miles. My son's gonna drive her until we can find a spacecab body, then she will be retired. The guy in LaPine said he knew of a good engine in a local wrecking yard that he was sure would be available. I am keeping his info, so keep in touch with me. By the way, Since I promised to treat her with the utmost respect and love, he sold it to me for $550. The tranny and rear end are perfect also, and everything works. Where do you live, Maybe we can team up to go fetch what you need. I live in Rainier Oregon, and I love to travel and explore.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:25 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

you paid 550 for it, it sounds like a pos :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:05 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

8O 8O 8O What? Damn I dont think I have ever seen a luv or any truck for that matter with the back portion of the frame rotten off. Maybe above the rearend and above the front spring purch. Be careful that thing does'nt break in half while your driving it. Now I have seen trucks rust so much under the cab that the start to sag in the center of the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

id be scared to drive it but no pressure man jus be careful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:00 am 

The rest of the frame is box, the ends where the bumpers attach are single thickness. The bumpers from day one were only aproved for 200 LBS tounge weight, not because the bumpers couldn't handle it, but because the frame rails were so light. My first two LUVs were given to me because the front and rear bumpers had been folded under in accidents. It was an easy fix for me, a blacksmith/welder. I bought the truck for the running gear. A solid 2.2 diesel engine alone is worth $500, a working 5 speed tranny for a diesel, another $500, and the wiring harness has so many out of production parts that the components would cost me at least $200 since all 4 glow plugs are working, as well as the entire circuit.
I am looking for an ISUZU SPACECAB, gas or diesel to transplant the running gear into.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:15 pm 
da LUV masta

Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $750 for mine. That's why I think pee_roy should run back and pick up that $100 deal. If it weren't so far from me, I'd go get it. :-)

Spacecabdiesel, if you end up with an extra glow plug controller temperature sensor I would be interested in chatting.

later,
Eric Q.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i only paid 200 4 mine and it only need a carb kit the body had a few dents but they came out sa id say get it to