LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:47 am 

pee_roy,

If you are still looking, I have an 82 LUV diesel for sale w/canopy for $500. It runs great and I am not too far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:18 am 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

ok u definently got my attention! 8O I am still interested. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:27 am 

Of the three LUVS I have had, this one is the first with a working Glow plug circuit. I wired in a spring loaded toggle switch, some 8 guage wire from the battery to the switch, then directly onto the bussbar that connects all the glow plugs. The light and timer for the circuit still work, so I simply hold the switch from the moment I turn on the ignition until the light goes out. I hold the switch for 5 seconds in warm weather, 8 seconds in medium weather, and 15 seconds when starting in North Dakota in winter at 35 below 0!! Sometimes it takes a few cycles to stay running, but so far I only blew out two glow plugs, and they were both AC delco, and they have that tendancy anyway.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:40 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

scored one for me!! Whent and bought the one from DMZ. Drove it home with no problems. But it poured tons of soot the hole way home and the valves were tickin. I already adjusted the valves, polished the valve cover 8) , and leaned out the injection pump. Thats why it didnt get as good fuel milage as i excpected. Drove it and its a lot peppier now. I dont know if the valves have been adjusted for a while... Also lots of soot gunk in the valve train. Going to put a little diesel fuel in the oil and run it for a little bit and drain it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

spacecabdiesel wrote:
Of the three LUVS I have had, this one is the first with a working Glow plug circuit. I wired in a spring loaded toggle switch, some 8 guage wire from the battery to the switch, then directly onto the bussbar that connects all the glow plugs. The light and timer for the circuit still work, so I simply hold the switch from the moment I turn on the ignition until the light goes out. I hold the switch for 5 seconds in warm weather, 8 seconds in medium weather, and 15 seconds when starting in North Dakota in winter at 35 below 0!! Sometimes it takes a few cycles to stay running, but so far I only blew out two glow plugs, and they were both AC delco, and they have that tendancy anyway.
Terry

so you manually opertate the glow plugs or does it do it autmatically with the light or u just let go of the switch when the light goes out?? What kind of glow plugs are the best for these???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:44 am 

I let go of the switch when the light goes out.
I have had the best luck with the Borg Warner glow plugs. Although I hear the Beru plugs are as good or better.
On the Isuzu Pup forum they give all the exact details about voltage and how to bypass the fast start relay by simply leaving the ignition on with the clutch depressed, but neither of my problem LUVs has ever had the secondary circuitry working any better then the quick start relay, so I just use the medium gauge wire, and discipline myself to never run the juice to the plugs longer then the reminder light on the dash says. The toggle switch I use is spring loaded and only stays on while being held. feeding the whole buss bar that connects all the plugs with a single medium gauge wire seems to cut back the voltage enough so that no more then the appropriate juice flows through the plugs. This is an assumption on my part since I am basing my observation on the fact that the light on the dash seems so well timed with the amount I need to hold my toggle. Any less time and she just won't fire off, any more time and I burn my #2 plug. I don't really understand why #2 burned out first, and I have only done this twice so maybe it was co-incidence. I learned the hard way when my first truck was borrowed by my wife and she left the switch on for 100 miles and burned out all four plugs, NOT to use a toggle that stays on by itself. I use a 50 amp so that it is stiff enough to take effort to hold it on, and large enough not to break if I hit it with something while puttsying around. The blank spot next to the headlight on switch is easily drilled out and makes an ideal spot for the switch so that it can look stock. I have been running two of these trucks for a total of 100,000 miles with this set of plugs and this switch set-up. One of these days I am going to mount up a set of spare plugs in my extra head and hold the juice to them with my whole set-up just to see how long they can take the abuse before burning out. Of course I will use Delco Remy plugs for my experiment so that the effects are actually visible.
Terry
Terry[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:09 pm 

I have an 81 4x4 diesel is in the classified section of this forum if you are intrested

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 pm 

I have an '81 diesel Mikado longbed with 106k miles and everything works except the windshield squirter and the fuel gauge that I will sell for $1995 since I no longer use it daily. Actual fuel usage 37 mpg empty. New glowplugs this month. Location Oriental NC. Email direct kj4jk@arrl.net.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 pm 
Feel the Steel

pee_roy wrote:
scored one for me!! Whent and bought the one from DMZ. Drove it home with no problems. But it poured tons of soot the hole way home and the valves were tickin. I already adjusted the valves, polished the valve cover 8) , and leaned out the injection pump. Thats why it didnt get as good fuel milage as i excpected. Drove it and its a lot peppier now. I dont know if the valves have been adjusted for a while... Also lots of soot gunk in the valve train. Going to put a little diesel fuel in the oil and run it for a little bit and drain it....

Guess people cant read this (from over 2 years ago!) :roll:

RIP R.J.B.