LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: turning up diesel pump
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:44 pm 

Anybody got an idea of how to advance timing and turn up the injection pump on a 2.2L diesel in my LUV? I want a little more smoke and power in the low end and it would be nice to know when I finally invest in a turbo. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm 

X2 PLEASE HELP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Im not very familure with this engine... so its kind of hard to say for sure... but most diesels you either cant adjust the timing, you dont want to touch the timing (because its as good as it gets).

On the newer trucks you adjust most things by the computer.

The older ones may have an advance/ retard key slots on the cam or crank timing gears.

You can probably use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator... but you will need to check your fuel pressure compared to what the adjustable one will put out.
Asuming that it uses a fuel rail and pressure regulator... if not, they maybe regulated at the injectors, then they would need to be swapped for a higher lbs rating....

When I was turning wrenches at detroit diesel if someone complained about low power and all the checks were good, we would do a little trick with the fuel connections. They would allways turn around and come back to find out what we did... of course the secret was never reviled, but its always interesting to watch a semi do a u-turn, to come back and ask what we did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:58 pm 
da LUV masta

Did I miss the secret trick or are you still not revieling it? Come on, don't tease us... :lol:

Last edited by Eric Q. on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:58 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

It's a different engine, so I doubt it would work.... basicly all it would do was allow more fuel to be used because of some of the restrictions.

Id see if it has a pressure regulator and see what the fuel pressure is suposed to be, then if you can find an adjustable pressure regulator you can use that... some can come completly out, others you have to adapt the adjustable regulator to fit your stock one. Hack it in half and adapt the new one on to it...
It sounds easier than it is to do.

My only chiltons book doesnt have any diesel stuff in it and I dont know anything about this particular engine....

Im just throwing out some ideas for yall... I think I would start by finding a way to allow more fuel to be used, then go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 am 
da LUV masta

erronisme wrote:
It's a different engine, so I doubt it would work.... basicly all it would do was allow more fuel to be used because of some of the restrictions.

I understand now. Thanks.

erronisme wrote:
Im just throwing out some ideas for yall... I think I would start by finding a way to allow more fuel to be used, then go from there.

So then are you suggesting a turbo would be the better 1st option to try? In an attempt to completely use the fuel that is present before trying to add more fuel?

Eric Q.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Im speaking from a totally outside view... because I'm not familure with the engine.... so any suggestion that I can give you will need to verify and do some research on..

if you do a turbo you will need to be turbo savy... if the they had an option for a higher HP with a turbo you'll need to find out what the psi was and the compression ratio and compare it to yours.

Turbo's are usually the best bang for the buck... if you just have to have one then find a small turbo and adjust the wastegate and slowly add the psi and get a pryo guage to keep an eye on exhaust gas temp.

You might be able to bump up the fuel pressure and pick up some HP just by doing that.

Another option is using NOS or propane.... Ive heard ALOT about propane injection and its a huge improvement... kind of like NOS for us gas burners, but its alot cleaner.

If it were me... I would start by looking at the intake and exust, then start investigating on how to get more fuel. Once I found out what it would take to do that... then the turbo.

The reason I would do it in that order is because a restrictive exhaust and intake are simple and you can fab up just about anything for them. Then adjusting the fuel will not only help for the less restrictive intake and exhaust it will also tell you if you can do a turbo.

Its an older engine so I dont know what the potential is and how well its put together. Usually the big factors are compression and fuel, as well as the turbo's pressure.

Post subject: You can adjust both.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am 

You can adjust both the fuel pressure and the timing on the Luvs.

The fuel pressure is easy. There's a locknut and screw adjustment on the back of the injection pump. While the engine is running, break the locknut (It should have safety wire as well) and turn the adjustment maybe 1/8th of a turn. You should hear the engine idle increase if you're adding fuel. If you turn it the wrong way, the engine will idle really rough and you won't have any power. You will get great mileage, though.

The timing is much more involved and involves a dial indicator and removing the timing belt shroud. If you're going to screw with that, I suggest you buy the official Chevy Series 10 (Or whatever series your truck is) manuals. The Chilton manual sucks.

1972 XLCH
1974 FJ40
1967 Chevelle
2004 Sienna (OK. That's the wife's)