LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm 

I just got a 79' LUV from my gf's Dad. It has the 1.8 liter engine and I was thinking about switching out for a diesel. How could I get one and is it worth it?

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:06 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

more info on the truck? Is it a 4spd? etc?

You'd have to get the engine and trans out of whatever truck you get the motor from, you'd either swap out the front bellhousings so you retain the better built 4spd, or just swap the trannies, swap the rad. to the larger 2 core or a 4 core from a auto diesel (doubt you'll find one) You need a diesel trans starter. uh... flush out your fuel lines & tank unless you want a 500lbs+ paper weight, all the fittings, filter setup, lines needed, wiring harness & dash cluster is different, swap em', actually the whole nose to cab harness is different i beleive due to emissions crap. uh.... i'll think of other stuff later.

ta ta!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:13 pm 

It is a four speed, has the 1.8 ltr, Do you think it is worth the conversion, or should I just put a bigger gas engine? Cause it sound like it would be a pretty expensive job. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:00 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

tharlanjr wrote:
It is a four speed, has the 1.8 ltr, Do you think it is worth the conversion, or should I just put a bigger gas engine?

I dont follow your logic. Even the bigger 2.2L C223 diesel would be a step backwards in go over the 1.8L petrol.
So why a bigger petrol motor???
The only reason to go diesel i could see would be fuel economy.

Theres lots of bigger petrol motors you can fit look here, http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?t=11237 for one option. Isuzu pickups and troopers are another.

tharlanjr wrote:
Cause it sound like it would be a pretty expensive job. If you need any more info just ask. Thanks for the help

Anything diesel is expensive.

An easier fit than the C190 or C223 found in Luvs and pickups would be the 4FB1 1.8L Diesel motor out of an I-mark. They have the starter motor on the same side as a petrol and will bolt up to your existing gearbox. But its a trade off as you would have to make engine mounts to fit the motor in a Luv.

Cheers, Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm 

I am looking to give it a little more towing power and climbing power. I drive up a good chunk of hill to get to my gfs house, and the little 4 banger is too slow. I am used to my Jeeps 5.2 V-8. And with gas at 3.00 a gal and my jeeps 13mpg anything better helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

And a bigger eng. means less mileage, even in a LUV. So it's one or the other.

That's a pretty nice truck you have there. I noticed the Ca. plates, so you are in Lakeside Ca. down near San Diego, right? Your LUV looks to be a 1980. If you change engines you will also have somg referee stuff to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:44 pm 

Yea, Its in East County San Diego. My LUV is a 79 so I will have to do all the smog crap. But I was thinking if I get a diesel engine nothing huge, shouldnt it have more power and still get decent gas mileage. I dont want a power plant or nothing, just more than what i have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It all depends on the engine choice.
I would suggest you talk to a referee before you make nay decisions and make sure you'll be able to pass smog and register it next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

tharlanjr wrote:
I dont want a power plant or nothing, just more than what i have.

Well thats not a bolt in diesel. The only bolt in suggestion i could make would be a C223-Turbo diesel out of a Trooper, but you will need the 4 speed diesel box to go behind it. You have to modify chassis crossmembers to fit a 5 speed 4x4 box in where a 4 speed came from. The 5 speed box is approx 6 inches longer and mounts in differently with a longer front tail shaft.
The latter 2.5 and 2.8L diesels in the pup and trooper are a different series motor and were all fitter with 5 speed MUA (latter series stronger box) but i think the same bellhousing as the C233.

A 5 speed would help your economy. You could also fit some larger diameter tyres (i think you have already) if they will fit as it does the same thing but makes 1st gear higher. Youve got low ratio :wink: .

If you fit in an Impulse EFI motor along with all its gear you will see improvements in power and economy and the driveability and reliability (if you do it right) should be better too.

I dont know the economy figures on the EFI G200 and the EFI 4ZD1 but the 4ZC1-Turbo got about 10L per 100kms. So thats about 2 1/2 gallons per 60 miles so about 24-25 MPG. They were geared to run at about 3000rpm in top gear at 65mph. Thats the same as my pup with a 5 speed and 4.555 diff and std size tyres, from what i can work out.

Cheers, Bob.

Post subject: More HP from the diesel?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:08 pm 

If you're looking for more HP, you won't get it from the 2.2 diesel. The 1.8 gas has 75HP/88lb/ft, and the 2.2 diesel had 58HP/93lb/ft. The turbo diesel would be an improvement (80/127), but good luck finding one.

The real advantages to the diesel, as I see them are:
1) They just keep running. I have 270k miles on mine, and it still passes emissions with flying colors.
1.1) The 1.8L gas engines were prone to head gasket leaks between cylinders. The diesels didn't have this problem.
2) Economy. I get 35MPG out of a stock 4x4. Supposedly running a K&N and a 2-2.5 inch exhaust improves this a bit, but YMMV.
3) Novelty. People are really surprised to hear a diesel in such a small truck.
4) Mosquito abatement. Idaho leads the country in West Nile virus cases, so I'm doing a public service when I floor it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nice LUV and welcome to the site. As far as converting your LUV to diesel it's good to say that you have one of the best or the best candidate for the conversion in that you have the 4-speed manual transmission, the year is close to 81 (first year diesel was an option), and the C223 will bolt right in. Can't beat that. That's why converting these older LUVs is still worth it and you won't spend that much money especially depending if you get the powerplant with its transmission for a good price. They pop up on EbayMotors from time to time and can be had for $500 or less on many occasion. From the looks of your truck I'd say that it would be really cool to see that nice of a truck have a diesel engine. Good luck with it.

Scott in Boise wrote:
4) Mosquito abatement. Idaho leads the country in West Nile virus cases, so I'm doing a public service when I floor it. :wink:

Scott, that's a good way to put it and I totally agree with you on that well put statement. And I also agree with your list of advantages for having the diesel. Fuel mileage is real nice, the 1.8 gas engine will have problems in the top end sooner or later, and taking the lovely sound of diesel clatter over more horsepower is the way to go!

Salvy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:14 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

It wouldnt be that hard to fit a turbo up to a diesel motor. Simple fabrication skills will make you a manifold.

Youd have to get the pump and injectors done up and recalibrated to suit turbo. Probably a good idea anyway due to the age of the motor.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

You can swap to a Toyota Transmission, Use Acme Adarters and use any VW 4 Cylinder gas or Diesels including the TDI's 4x4 requires a Toyota 4x4 setup. I am not sure if the transfer case is on the same side. A 22R transmission is the one you want. They also make one to fit a Toyota Automatic.

If you feel really brave, there is the Cummins 4bt 3.9 l. engines out of Fritoes bread trucks. 100-120 HP depending on if it is intercooled or not, Almost all have turbos. Engine is TALL Weighs around 700 lbs 8O
The 4bt is used in a lot of Jeep conversions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:14 pm 

Will the 4FB1 work in my 78 LUV 2WD? or is this swap best for the 81 & 82 4X4 models? I currently have the stock 1.8 gas engine, with a Toyota 5-speed manual transmission.

My priorities are: lower emissions and longer vehicle life over more power. What would be my best choices of diesel engines? So far from what I've read, It seems that the C223, 4FB1, and 4JB1-T are all good possibilities. Someone also suggested a VW TDI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

DrStrangeLUV wrote:
Will the 4FB1 work in my 78 LUV 2WD? or is this swap best for the 81 & 82 4X4 models? I currently have the stock 1.8 gas engine, with a Toyota 5-speed manual transmission.

My priorities are: lower emissions and longer vehicle life over more power. What would be my best choices of diesel engines? So far from what I've read, It seems that the C223, 4FB1, and 4JB1-T are all good possibilities. Someone also suggested a VW TDI.

You probably shoulda started your own topic for this, since your questions are somewhat different from the original poster, and the topic is six years old.

However...the 4FB1 will probably be the easiest to do, although I don't know what it would take to mate it to your Toyota transmission. The C223 will fit, and others here have used it. The 4JB1-T won't even fit in a 2nd-gen LUV without a body lift of about 2". Folks are using VW TDI engines in a lot of applications, and there's an adapter plate for the Toyota transmission (acmeadapters.com).

Jack