LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Chevy Diesel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:51 pm 

well I got my diesel back in the S-10 thats the good news the thing tries to run and does for a brief moment but dies the injector pump doesn't seem to be spraying to much very little fuel and not a hold lot of pressure I don't know much about injector pumps at all but I changed it out with another one I have and it seems to spray a little more but not much the thing still wont run on either injector pump being this is my first diesel truck if any one has any idea what might be wrong with it I would greatly appreciate the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Got it back from where:? Was it running . I don't know much about the Luv- Trooper-s10 diesels. be careful as diesel injection pumps can put out as much as 30,000 psi or more. Not these but it could be 3000 to 5000. I also do not know if the they use a lift pump(a pump between the fuel tank and your IP) but if it does it may be bad.

Check your fuel filter. It should be before the IP. HTats where I would start first. If no lift pump the Injection pump must have a fuel pump built in, like a Staydine pump. If it sat up it could be most anything. The filter is where you need to start If it is the IP you can get it rebuilt in most larger cities, get a rebuilt or exchange, also a used pump.

I know a lot about other diesels, and their are a lot of simular setups.
Olds 5.7, GM 6.2, 6.5 Cummins 3.9 and 5.9. VW Diesels. Big Cat, Detroit, Cummins, Internationals and more.

Let us know what you find. I bet it is the fuel filter...
RIchard

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

PapaG wrote:
Got it back from where:? Was it running . I don't know much about the Luv- Trooper-s10 diesels. be careful as diesel injection pumps can put out as much as 30,000 psi or more. Not these but it could be 3000 to 5000. I also do not know if the they use a lift pump(a pump between the fuel tank and your IP) but if it does it may be bad.

Check your fuel filter. It should be before the IP. HTats where I would start first. If no lift pump the Injection pump must have a fuel pump built in, like a Staydine pump. If it sat up it could be most anything. The filter is where you need to start If it is the IP you can get it rebuilt in most larger cities, get a rebuilt or exchange, also a used pump.

I know a lot about other diesels, and their are a lot of simular setups.
Olds 5.7, GM 6.2, 6.5 Cummins 3.9 and 5.9. VW Diesels. Big Cat, Detroit, Cummins, Internationals and more.

Let us know what you find. I bet it is the fuel filter...
RIchard

Richard

That's what i was thinking, probably clogged to hell. And no they don't have lift pumps.

Post subject: Mine does
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:02 pm 

I seem to remember seeing in the service manual that there was a lift pump at the fuel tank, but I wouldn't swear to it.

My pickup has an aftermarket lift pump on it (It came with the truck). I accidentally disconnected it a few months ago, and the truck ran without it. It did tend to starve under load. When I hooked it back up it ran great.

If you have an electric pump sitting around, you could try it. The injector pump may not be drawing enough fuel to create any pressure. You could also have clogged injectors or, as stated above, a dirty filter.

Your injector pressure could also be set too low. If the safety wired nut has no safety wire on it, someone probably adjusted it, and they may have adjusted it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

This could be a simple as a clogged screen on the pickup tube in the tank.

Jack

Post subject: diesel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:59 pm 

when I put the engine in I replaced all the filters, I removed the pickup screen just to be sure, I tried an electric pump just to be sure and still it just barely sprays out the lines when I unhook them from the injectors, it didn't suprise me that the pump was bad that came off the orignal motor (the one with the hole threw cylinder #1) there were lots of things rigged up on it but the other motor I got the junk yard said it ran so I supprised me that it didn't work so I'm not sure what to do I think I'm guna pull the injector pump off and take it to a diesel shop and have it checked over a place close to me said they do free estimates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'd rule out air leaks first. I recently changed my fuel filter, and I accidentally cross-threaded the drain valve on the priming pump. Same symptoms as you describe. It was sucking air in at the filter.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Are you 150% sure that youve got the pump timed properly???

Sure there could be a fault with the pump, but id be more wary of the injectors being shot. They shouldnt squirt fuel out, they should spray a fine mist.
Theres no point spending money on fixing up a pump without being sure that the injectors are it tip top shape.

You shouldnt need a lift pump when the motor is running. Nearly all pumps will draw their own fuel from the tank, the lift pump/primer pump is there to get the air out of the system.

But still i cant see any harm in using a low pressure electric pump at the tank to feed the fuel up.

The symptoms do sound like an air leak in the system.

A temporary electric pump to feed the fuel up will promote any air leak youve got in the system as a fuel leak after a short time.

cheers, Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.