LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:07 pm 

Hello again Gentelmen. So I finally have my C223 in my garage and all the neccesary impliments to pull the old petrol pusher out and drop the diesel into my 80 2wd automatic. Before I start yanking things out I thought I would touch base with the guru's the grace LUVTruck.com before I get in to far above my head. Here is a small list of things that have been keeping me up at night, maybe someone can offer some insight.

1. The oil pan on my gas engine is on the driver's side, on the diesel engine the oil pan is on the passanger side.

2. The mechanic I purchased the engine from informed me that the engine came out of a truck with a manual transimission, and since my truck is an automatic, the flywheel may not line up.

3. When pulling the gas engine out, is there anything you folks would reccomend in order to make things less of a hassle. I figure a little educated guidance could save me a lot of head aches.

During this whole fiasco I will also be in search of a waterpump and a glowplug controller (or whatever else I will need for wiring)

Thanks,
-AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

AJ, I can answer most all of your questions and will do so for the three you just posted.

1. Since you are converting an 80 LUV 2WD you need to deal with 2WD oil pans. There are going to be differences between the 1.8 gas and 2.2 diesel. You need to make sure that the C223 diesel engine came out of a truck that was 2WD, to make it a 2WD-2WD swap. If this is true then you shouldn't have any problems with the diesel's oil pan hitting in places where the gasoline's oil pan is clear of everything. The only way you will run into a problem with the oil pan not working is if you are dropping in a C223 from a 4WD truck. That will not work and the oil pan will need to be custom adapted to fit. I know this for sure as my uncle converted a 79 LUV 2WD to diesel back when I was a toddler. I'm pretty sure he converted a truck that was a factory manual trans vehicle too.

2. Given your LUV has an automatic transmission that will not help you out very much if you are dropping in a C223/manual transmission. There is no way you will be able to use the gas engine's auto trans on the diesel engine because of the starters being on opposite sides. The diesel engine had an optional automatic transmission starting in 1983 for the Isuzu PUP and ended in I believe 1986. If you were to happen to find at least the automatic trans from a diesel it would make your swap much easier. But then you must decide do you want to go with an automatic? Chances are the diesel, not being a powerhouse and all, will not get around much quicker with the auto anyways. But if you drop in the C223 with the trans it came with then you won't have much of a problem. The only thing I could think of is if the automatic trans has a different mount on the frame than the manual transmission models. If it's located in a different place, where modifications may be needed, the diesel's manual transmission will have to be mounted in a custom way. I'd imagine if your LUV was a manual transmission model chances are the diesel's transmission would bolt right in place where the gasoline's transmission used to be. I can see the mechanic saying "the flywheel won't line up," because you are dealing with a diesel engine that was in front of a manual trans from the factory and you want to ditch that to go with the automatic. Like I said above it can't happen anyways unless you get the diesel specific automatic transmission.

3. I can recommend something about removing the gas engine when you go to do so. Just a week ago my dad and I attempted to drop in a C223 with 4-speed trans connected into my 1986 Trooper. It's not exactly possible to drop them in as a unit, we had one hell of a time trying to do it. Turns out we had to remove all the frame/body bolts to lift the body up off the frame up front to get the engine/trans lowered onto the mounts. It's highly recommended that you install the engine and transmission at different times and not as a unit at the same time. So I'd say remove the auto trans behind the gasser first and then pull out the gas engine afterwards. It all should go smoothly too given you've removed all the accessories from the engine and under hood area.

Hope this helps you out and good luck with starting out on the conversion project. If you need more assistance I should be able to help. Do just let me know.

Salvy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:38 pm 

Similar issue with my S15 conversion (from gas auto to diesel 5 speed), was the fact that the motor had to be installed separately from the transmission. There is only about an inch between the crossmember and the oil pan. My engine came from an older S10, so for the most part it fit right in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:16 am 

Thanks for the reply's gentlemen. I will have to try to contact the guy I bought the engine from to find out if it came from a 2wd or 4wd vehicle. The complicated part is the engine didn't come directly out of a truck and into the hands of the mechanic I bought it from. Apparently the engine came out of a truck that was going to the crusher, and then was placed in a barn by some farmer. After a mouse made a home in one of the cylinders the farmer gave it to the mechanic I bought it from. After he rebuilt and fired it up I bought it from him.

Long story short, is there any way I can look at the engine and tell what type of vehicle it came out of?

As far as the transmission goes, the idea of converting it to a manual transmmison is a quite intimidating. So I suppose I need to find a automatic tranny that will bolt up. Any insight besides isuzupup.com?

Thanks,
-AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:48 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

AJ, the only way I could tell you if your engine is out of a 2WD or 4WD vehicle, besides a picture or two of the oil pan, is to ask is the pan more smooth or rigid (like with a guard on it) at the bottom? Also, is the oil pan made at a 90 degree angle at some point on it? If it is then that will tell you it's an engine out of a 4WD vehicle because that 90 degree angle is supposed to sit right in the motor mounts and clear the front axle just right. If you were to see one installed in a 4WD Isuzu you could tell the oil pan is just made perfect to go into the 4WD frame/chassis. Otherwise if the pan is smoother looking it will be out of a 2WD for the most part. Are you able to take a shot or two of the oil pan for me? If so I can tell you what it's out of. As fas as any other insight, do take a visit to http://www.4x4wire.com as it's a good website that deals with Isuzus pretty heavily and has its own Isuzu Diesels forum. Hope this helps.

Salvy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:04 pm 

Salvy,

The oil pan is rather L shaped. That makes me think that the engine is out of a 4x4. At this point, it makes me think that it would be easier to find a 4x4 with a manual tranny than trying a 3sp auto that will fit behind the C223, swap the tranny, and modify the oil pan what do ya think? How rare is the tranny that will bolt up and how would I go about modifiying the oil pan? I only have until the end of August when I have to commit to full-time schedule of mountainbike racing and dorm-life.

Thanks,
-AJ

Forum Moderater(s): I think it is appropriate that this correspondence is made within a public post and not a private message. There is a ton of info in the topic that could be useful to random browsers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

AJ, right off the bat it will be much easier to find a 4x4 with a manual trans then looking for the diesel specific automatic trans. The automatic diesel models are very rare and it would be tough to find a transmission to bolt up to your C223 in a quick time period. If you drop in the C223 with a 4WD transmission it will be a much easier job into a factory manual transmission model truck. Since you say your oil pan is L-shaped I'm sure you have an engine out of a 4WD vehicle. This will allow you to bolt it in no problem over the front axle and suspension of a 4WD LUV. Avoiding a modification to the oil pan is a good idea because it is a lot of work and I don't know how involved it is to do. I have replied to the private message you sent me too.

Salvy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 pm 

I can tell all of you right now that LUVdiesel is wrong about the oil pan part. I will tell you right now that I have just competed phase one of my diesel conversion by dropping in the diesel into my 1980 chevy luv 2wd long box. The diesel that I put in came out of a 1982 chevy luv 4x4 and it is a direct bolt in as long as you have the diesel motor mounts, but the oil pan will clear the cross member with plenty of space. It is a little bit of a challenge but it will fit as if it were a factory install. As for the transmission I got a 5 speed out of a 1982 isuzu pup 2wd, and its a direct bolt in as well, although you will have to change the slip yoke on the front of the drive shaft because the splines on the output shaft for the diesels are different than on the gassers. Hope all the helps any further.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

Oh cool good luck with your swap. :D