LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:21 pm 
hey everyone
my name is charlie and i am looking at possibly buying an 81 luv diesel and im just trying to do some research on them. the engine has 98ooo miles on it. is the 2.2 diesel like others that will go for well over 200 thou? i know this may not be a subjective group that im addressing here, :wink: , but is the luv diesel a good, dependable, easy to fix motor? what are some common problems with the motors and truck themselves, and are there any trouble spots i should look for while considering this truck? it generally looks like its in pretty good shape, so i would just like to have an "expert opinion" and possibly some tips or advice while i am looking at this truck. anything you all have got is greatly appreciated. thanks a lot. ~charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:37 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Well, back in my day I had a little 82 LUV i used to run around in (check the sig.) BUT YES they are very good motors, the only real problems with the truck were replacing the water pump, rotors, trans re-build and rear axle swap. W/ only 98k on it, it's worth it, expect about 36-38 MPG out of it IF it's a 5spd, if it's a 4spd then you might touch n' pass the 40 mark. The 5spds start going out past 180k n' up, however mine started whining at 138k b/c, well, that's how I drove it, it started it though back in the 120k's but it was very faint.

Oh and about the motor running over 200k on it.... well, I've got an 84 auto w/ 307k on it now, still runs and drives like a charm, no probs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:20 pm 
hey thanks for the reply. when you say rotors im assuming you mean warped brake rotors? also, waht goes wrong with the rearend? any warning signs i can look for back there externally? sounds like the truck might be a good buy...im looking for a reliable vehicle that can haul a little and get good milage. anyone else got anything??