LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:47 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hey there guys,
I thought I'd share my other build, no she's not a LUV, but it is a 1953 Holden sedan known as a 48-215 "Air-Ride" which is one of the first vehicles manufactured for Australia, by Australia.
Until 1948 all vehicles in Oz were either fully imported, imported or TKD cabs assembled on locally built chassis. Holden had humble beginnings as a saddlery in the 1800's and later became a coach building enterprise which in turn lead to them getting heavily involved in the automobile industry. Holden gained strength during WW1 producing much needed equipment for the war effort, such as saddles, slings, straps, uniform fasteners etc and their foundries could produce an array of small arms components.
After the war their coach building reputation naturally had lead them into the newly founded automobile industry. However all vehicles manufactured by the then "Holden Motor Bodies' company were on behalf of US & British companies such as Dodge, Chevrolet, Bedford and Vauxhall to name a few. Along came WW2 and due to their now national standing, Holden Motor Bodies again manufactured vehicles, artillery & light armoured vehicles for the allied forces during the entire length of the 2nd World War.
After WW2, Australians wanted to be proud of what they had achieved and accepted that they were far less dependent on the British Empire, and longed for something grand to call our own. Predominantly, we wanted "OUR OWN CAR", so the race was on by local manufacturers to provide the Australian people with just that.
GM had already established a partnership with Holden Motor Bodies, and eventually would own them outright, but admittedly, Holden wold not have ever got to where they were without the investments made by General Motors. Sadly GM has pulled the pin on Holden's local manufacture as of 2017, but the legacy will remain. This is probably best referred to as the series 2 of the "All Australian Car" and it's my real passion.
I'm building this car with quite a lot of modifications, and myself and a few mates with both stock and modified examples had planned on shipping our cars (5-6 of us) to the United States in 2018 to do a driving tour across the country as part of the 75th Anniversary.
Now that GM has made the decision to pull up stumps in Australia as far as the Holden Brand is concerned, our grand adventure kinda seemed pointless, but I am still keen to go ahead with shipping my '53 model over the ditch and doing the tour in it as planned.

I bought one of these in late 2000 after I discharged from the Army, and drove it around for a couple of years. Then took it off the road to do a quick tidy up of the paint for my sisters wedding in 2002. But as I stripped paint back, the old girl had quite a lot of rust in critical areas and that led to a full custom build where I was first introduced to our little LUV trucks. I started a build which was to use a Chevy LUV Chassis as the build platform, but sold it due to relocating interstate.

I sold my classic Holden to keep my now Ex wife happy, but yep,,, shoulda kept the car LOL. In the pic above is my 1st classic Holden that I bought in 2000 (a 1954 or FJ model) beside my mates '49 model late 2001. When I moved I kept the body of the custom build, just sold the LUV chassis. But later swapped it with a friend for a trailer made from a utility version.
I got it back again a few years later but it had been very much neglected. So rather than haul it off to the scrap yard I merged the two as one,,, and I still own this trailer. Here it is a couple of years ago. All I need now is to finish the '53 so I can tow it with style :D

Yep,,, the Dark 54 Sedan beside the white '49 in photo above is now this trailer :D

Here's some pictures of my 'Other LUV' that's not a LUV :lol:

The kids and I drove to Cobar NSW (over 2000km round trip) to pick up my 1953 Holden

This isn't mine, but it's a photo I've borrowed to give an idea of what mine will look like when completed. I'll be doing mine in a Royal Blue with widened stock rims painted gloss black, dome caps, extended chrome lug nuts & chrome dress rims, white walls and a period correct sun visor. Maybe some scrolled pin striping accents? Oh and a BOP-215 themed Rover 3.5 V8 with Offenhauser 2x4 induction manifold, & Offy finned Valve covers, & some custom old skool air cleaners :twisted:

I've added custom tail light buckets in the rear bulkhead to allow fitment of Land Rover 110 series stop/tail & indicators

As I plan on clocking up the miles in this vehicle, I've installed a pair of bucket seats from a Ford Telstar TX-5,,, very comfy :D

I recessed the firewall around 3" to make room for a V8 conversion & it took countless hours getting all the profiles and contours right before laying down a white base coat, then many more hours laying down a mask pattern for the checkers. Here's a pi of me wet rubbing the firewall after the checker graphics had a few coats of clear.

The vehicle design is the 1st without a full chassis in Oz, but the front frame (fx) was renowned for twisting and cracking as it was only designed for a 131cu inline six that was a scaled down version of a Chevy side valve six. So here I've boxed in the 'C' sections and installed end caps and other re-enforcing plates to reduce torsional flex for the V8 conversion.

In this photo, I've stripped and cleaned the Rover 3.5 V8 and set it in the engine compartment for mock up. The Rover engine will be dressed as a BOP-215 (which the Rover V8 is descended from) then bolted up to a TH700 auto and narrowed BTR LSD differential.

The Rover timing cover/water pump housing was the ugliest thing I've seen strapped to an engine and the water pump & shaft protrudes wayyyy out the front of the block, almost 1/3 the length of the block???
So I have replaced it with a Buick 300 Timing cover that I got shipped from the US of A, and I still need to source a compatible water pump that is as short as possible. The ridiculously long Rover water pump can be seen sitting on top of the engine valley.

I had originally planned on fitting a 304 Holden 90% V8, but modification laws in Australia now limit the cubic capacity to well below the 304, so I then installed an L67, but I really dislike how they sound, no matter what you do with exhaust, they still sound like a Commodore in my opinion :? Plus I really wanted to have it as a V8, so I sold the L67 and all the conversion gear and sourced this 1983 Rover 3.5 litre V8 and the TH700 auto with all the necessary adaptor hardware.

Thanks for looking, I'll add more photos as I progress with the build. But I have to wait around 6 months due to the a new bolt in front end that I'll be using is awaiting approval for street use. So in the mean time, I decided to get stuck into the LUV build.

Cheers,,, Sherro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:52 am 
Addicted to LUV

that is one good looking old holden I am loving that checkered firewall! cant wait to see where this build ends up.
the bop based rover engine should do pretty well in there now that you beefed up the frame a bit, gonna be one good looking machine when its done I hope you end up bringing it to the states for a travel trip, would be sweet with the matching trailer cruising down the highway

any idea about how much the car weighs? im assuming the engine swap will probably shed a few pounds over the older iron parts

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 am 
Addicted to LUV

Cool build...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:05 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

love4theluv wrote:
that is one good looking old holden I am loving that checkered firewall! cant wait to see where this build ends up. I hope you end up bringing it to the states for a travel trip, would be sweet with the matching trailer cruising down the highway

any idea about how much the car weighs? im assuming the engine swap will probably shed a few pounds over the older iron parts

Cheers, it's been a long road with this build, and yep that firewall was a real head%#@! to get it looking right.
I haven't weighed the vehicle yet, but here's some photos of specs pages out of an old workshop manual when in the original factory form.

I'm still in the planning stages of the tour, but my daughter is currently studying film & television, event management etc and suggested we make a documentary on the planning, preliminary stuff and of the highlights of the trip. It ain't gonna be cheap, but I'll be looking at getting funding from the gov for the doco sides of things,,, they have funding programs available for cultural or historically significant film projects, and this will cover both :P It'll all be in the wording of the application I spose?

But so far we're looking at getting the car/s shipped to LA then head off at the start of July, then head south west through Texas, make our way east, catch up on some dirt track speedway, head north to NY and Detroit to call in on GM Headquarters (the original prototypes were hand build there), then zig-zag west again.
We'll try for parts of Route66, Grand Canyon, Vegas, Some old time diners etc, Bonneville Salt Lakes for a race meet, Historic Drag Racing in San Fran, Mt Rushmore naturally, and maybe Sterges? Other things we want to do I call in on some of the world famous hot-rod shops like Coddingtons, Chip Foose, So-Cal, Even Jessie James of 'Monster Garage' creed LOL,,, We're open to suggestions, but it's planned for 2018 to coincide with the 75th Anniversary (29/Nov/1948 was their official release date)
It'll be a trip of a lifetime, and I expect it'll take about 3 months? We'll be aiming for maybe 3-4 cars (or more if we can round up other enthusiasts) in various stock or modified form and I'm really excited to make it happen :P

I never even considered taking the trailer over there as well??? Now that's a fresh idea I like :P

We'll definitely have to catch up with some of you LUV boys while over there. Perhaps we can get a LUV Truck support vehicle crew LOL :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

the list of spots to visit sounds about right, Sturgis is more or less dead for most of the year, its packed as full as it possibly can be during bike week and a bit before and after but not much there the rest of the year but the black hills of south Dakota where Sturgis and mt rushmore are is a beautiful part of the country to visit

im sure you will end up meeting a few of us along the way there are tons of members on the west coast in CA, OR and WA, and plenty of misc classic car shows and meets you can stop at on the way.
would be really cool if you were able to get the govt to sponsor your trip even in part for the video

the list of specs that car came with really makes you think of how much cars have changed since that was new, all of the fluid capacities seem to be really small compared to modern, and a 132ci engine with 22hp? I thought a stock luv was gutless! its the sae hp that is the measurement we traditionally use when rating cars isn't it? if it makes 60 it is still pretty gutless but a lot less so. for some reason I pictured it being 3000lb+ 2200 really isn't that bad at all, with the new engine and such it may even come down to 2100-2150

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I am 50 miles North of Los Angles. We have a awesome dirt track here is Sprint cars, midgets and a few other classes. Feel tree to contact me when you find your way to the states. We ship Helicopters all over the world, I assume your cars will be in containers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like a great tour of the US auto scene. I hate to break it to you but Boyd Coddington died in 2008 and his shop is long gone. As for Jesse James he closed up shop a couple years ago and moved to Texas. Chip Foose is doing fine though. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Luvrv8 wrote:
I am 50 miles North of Los Angles. We have a awesome dirt track here is Sprint cars, midgets and a few other classes. Feel tree to contact me when you find your way to the states. We ship Helicopters all over the world, I assume your cars will be in containers.

We're still quite a way from working out how to get there car/s there at this stage. First thing is to get the car finished otherwise it ain't happening :lol: But I'd say they'd be shipped over in a container?

The main aim of the tour is just to see the as much of the country as possible and keep a lot of it based around car culture where possible, but being ex-military I personally would like to see some of the famous sites from the Civil War, Independence and the like as well. One thing I really want to do though is get to Bonneville for part of the race season and get in on the action :)

I've been to a few speedway events here in Oz, and used to race 1/4 scale RC Dirt Modified,,, my 11 year old boy got involved too, but due to political crap going on in the club I told the to stick it. I've still got the mine & the boys cars, but we haven't used them since February :(

A mate up north has been to the States a few times and told me when I get there I should try & get to some of the Speedway events in the South East, apparently they're pretty insane :P But seeing them wherever over there is fine by me & I'd be happy to get in touch before we head over. I'd love to see some Nostalgic speedway racing if people still drag out their old timers for exhibition events?,,, that would be a buzz

Here's some photos of early speedway racing in Oz with FX & FJ Holden's for you. Some tracks they'd reach speeds in excess of 120mph. Not that fast by today's standards, but in these old clunkers??? That's pretty brave stuff :lol:

Last edited by Sherro57 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

love4theluv wrote:
the list of spots to visit sounds about right, Sturgis is more or less dead for most of the year, its packed as full as it possibly can be during bike week and a bit before and after but not much there the rest of the year but the black hills of south Dakota where Sturgis and mt rushmore are is a beautiful part of the country to visit

im sure you will end up meeting a few of us along the way there are tons of members on the west coast in CA, OR and WA, and plenty of misc classic car shows and meets you can stop at on the way.
would be really cool if you were able to get the govt to sponsor your trip even in part for the video

the list of specs that car came with really makes you think of how much cars have changed since that was new, all of the fluid capacities seem to be really small compared to modern, and a 132ci engine with 22hp? I thought a stock luv was gutless! its the sae hp that is the measurement we traditionally use when rating cars isn't it? if it makes 60 it is still pretty gutless but a lot less so. for some reason I pictured it being 3000lb+ 2200 really isn't that bad at all, with the new engine and such it may even come down to 2100-2150

Yeah pretty amazing isn't it? The older generation,, Baby Boomers in particular all claim to have been conceived in the back of one of these old girls LOL,,, my parents generation all claim to have had one as their first car, learnt to drive in one etc and quite a lot to claim they were actually born on the back seat of one :P Not unlike LUV owners, you need to be a little on the eccentric side to own one of these old Holden's though :lol:
They have had several cult followings over the years, but remain a Classic Aussie Icon and even the beat up ones still draw crowds wherever they go.

Stergis was just a suggestion by someone I know,,, some say hell yes, some say where??? But yep,,, awesome country so I've been told, and there are so many places we could end up visiting,,, whittling down the list and adding here and there will go on for some time yet until we sort out some sort of itinerary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:50 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

LUVTRKR wrote:
Sounds like a great tour of the US auto scene. I hate to break it to you but Boyd Coddington died in 2008 and his shop is long gone. As for Jesse James he closed up shop a couple years ago and moved to Texas. Chip Foose is doing fine though. 8)

Yeah I knew Boyd died a few years ago, but I thought his shop may still be open?,, well I guess we can scrub that one off the to-do list :P
I heard Jessie James had moved to Austin, TX a while back, but someone told me he'd opened up another shop and was trying to keep it a little more low key, and wanted to get back to grass roots fabrication and custom work?

Again, we're still throwing ideas back n forth with each other on the USA super tour and where, what & when. Well the when is some time in 2018 :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Boyds wife tried to run the shop. It did not work out. It will be great to watch your builds. I used to hang around a site for all the stuff you Aussies went though to get modded cars on the road and legal. Boyds son started the wheel business. Jesse James is near Austin. His speed shop is in Austin... but he was doing some things out of his home shop. That was a good show for awhile till all these stupid reality show people got hold of it.

Come down to Texas and we could have a mini get together.

Was the L67 you were going to use the, supercharged version. Ours is hard to use, because the intake on the supercharger is setup for FWD...I was looking on maybe using one in my Luv till I saw the problems in using it in a RWD car. But of course you guys use it in a RWD holden. Some folks were buying the superchargers off the Holdens and having them shipped to another colony state. lol USA.

I don't understand why GM is moving away from Holden. Shoot 1/2 the car designs that they have used lately were all Holden. I wonder what Holden will use for engines? GM has not made the smartest moves for a number of years. They sound like VW of America. VWoA really sucks for us long time VW people. Do not ask how many of those I have owned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

PapaG wrote:
Boyds wife tried to run the shop. It did not work out. It will be great to watch your builds. I used to hang around a site for all the stuff you Aussies went though to get modded cars on the road and legal. Boyds son started the wheel business. Jesse James is near Austin. His speed shop is in Austin... but he was doing some things out of his home shop. That was a good show for awhile till all these stupid reality show people got hold of it.

Come down to Texas and we could have a mini get together.

Was the L67 you were going to use the, supercharged version. Ours is hard to use, because the intake on the supercharger is setup for FWD...I was looking on maybe using one in my Luv till I saw the problems in using it in a RWD car. But of course you guys use it in a RWD holden. Some folks were buying the superchargers off the Holdens and having them shipped to another colony state. lol USA.

I don't understand why GM is moving away from Holden. Shoot 1/2 the car designs that they have used lately were all Holden. I wonder what Holden will use for engines? GM has not made the smartest moves for a number of years. They sound like VW of America. VWoA really sucks for us long time VW people. Do not ask how many of those I have owned.

I'm appalled at this whole GM/Holden situation. And as a former business owner myself, I can totally empathise with GM. For the nearly 20 years, the Australian Government has been pouring millions, if not billions of dollars into GM Holden annually to keep the manufacturing plants in operation. We saw the demise of Valiant (Chrysler) in the late 70's along with BMC (British Motor Corp) who manufactured Morris, Leyland, MG and Bedford, then the old Valiant (Chrysler) plant was re-birthed as Mitsubishi Australia,,, that was a deal between the Japanese & Australian Governments, but this also went south a few years ago after Gov funding stopped.
All Mitsubishi do here now is assemble imports and some R&D. Ford has been designing, manufacturing here for as long as anyone can remember, and have a massive manufacturing plant outside of Melbourne, but they're about to close up shop as well. Toyota also had a big operation going here for quite a while, but that's been reduced to partial assembly of imports. And with the big names in car manufacturing all going, there are literally hundreds of smaller businesses across the country that provide out sourced contracts for the car manufacturers will undoubtedly be forced to close up shop as part of the domino effect. Things are going to get scary here in the next couple of years.

I blame the unions. They have had a big influence on much of Australian manufacturing and many an industry over the years, but they had massive pull in the Holden, Ford, & Mitsubishi plants. The lowest wage earner in the Holden manufacturing plant had a take home wage of twice to three times the average Aussie wage for unskilled labour, then take into account supervisors, management & executive's wages/salary's and the production costs based on wages alone were way beyond acceptable to expect to make any profit.
I have never been a fan of unions, sure there was a time when they forced greedy business owners to lift the standards of working conditions, and give workers fair financial reward for a hard days work and keep things far for all. But they have long since bullied employers, employees and State & Federal Government with thuggery, piquet lines, and boycotting to squeeze every last drop and more.
They make me so angry because it they have killed off Australian manufacturing because it has become so expensive to actually employ anyone anymore,,, then Government want to keep the jobs here, so give financial assistance to the company to retain the jobs, then the company gets screwed by the unions again, and it's back to square one. Eventually the Government says enough is enough,,, no more funding coz we as a country can't afford it (and they're right) so the unions go back to complaining that Corporate organisations take their manufacturing or whichever service they provide to another country, and surprise surprise, the unions blame the government for abandoning the working class and allowing another Aussie Icon to shut it's doors?

Grrrr,,, :twisted:

Anyway, I think I've had more than enough Lamenting on that topic :roll:

I'm really excited to head over there, I've got family scattered all over the US and Canada, and I've only met a small handful of them. But yes, I'd be keen to catch up with like minded people in my travels. And Texas is an absolute definite. It's still quite a long way off before I'll be making the big tour of US of A, but there's also a tonne of planning and preparation to sort out :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

With out getting way off topic, I agree with the union things too. Toyota does just fine building trucks in Texas as a non union factory. We are a right-to-work state, so unions can not force themselves on anyone. Not meant to piss off any union folks.

I am and will always be a car nut. I figured out the car site- at least the cars that I followed. Morris Minor's. VW used to do the knock down cars and vans too. I understand the BIG money the out of country companies can bring. But I understand about wanting your own cars. I love the ute's. They were going to bring one here as a El Camino. The had one decked out as a SS model, it was sweet.

Heck South Africa was still building the VW MK1 cars till a few years. Whoop a real rabbit.
Big bullet for Holden to bite is cars, engines and transmissions. I wish them luck. I would bet a Japanese Company comes in or VWaG or even Fiat... It is not going to just disappear.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I am a big fan of Mitsubishi, in fact I worked for them and became a "Factory Trained Master Mitsubishi Tech". My favorite car, and my wife's favorite car was the Diamante, built in Aus. She was pissed when they stopped offering them in the U.S. in 2005, we gave my dad ours and bought a new 2004 model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Luvrv8 wrote:
I am a big fan of Mitsubishi, in fact I worked for them and became a "Factory Trained Master Mitsubishi Tech". My favorite car, and my wife's favorite car was the Diamante, built in Aus. She was pissed when they stopped offering them in the U.S. in 2005, we gave my dad ours and bought a new 2004 model.

When I was in the army, my best mate and I discharged around the same time, and he moved back to Adelaide in South Australia and got a job with Mitsubishi. He worked on the assembly line for a couple of years assembling the Mitsubishi Magna & Lancer. They were both sold locally and imported to NZ and the US, but the Diamante was badged as Magna over here? Pretty nice cars though, especially the ones with all the bells & whistles & full leather optioned version.
He had a pneumatic press crush his hand pretty bad around 1997 & was off work for a while, and then shortly after returning to work crashed his motorbike & busted up his legs, so he got laid off.
After that he moved interstate & got himself a heavy truck licence and got his plant operators tickets, and now owns a small firm doing earth works and civil construction.

My Dad has just sold his 100 series Toyota Landcruiser as he was sick of the over heating problems it was having, and ordered himself the latest Mitsubishi 4x4 Triton 'Crew Cab'

Another friend of mine recently sold their Mitsubishi 4x4,,, I can't think of what it was called, but one of these part soft roaders, Outlander I think it's called, but they sold that for another Mitsubishi, this time they went for this sporty looking V-RX (Sports version of what you guys called Diamante, last model before production ceased),,, real sleek looking thing, big alloy wheels, big brakes, lowered, body kit, sunroof and all the appointments',,,, it goes like a rocket :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Haha,,,
I just found a link to an old Aussie classic movie. I haven't seen this in quite a few years, and it's probably Australia's version of "American Graffiti" A bit of a dodgy film, typical of the day, but all you car guys out there will probably enjoy it. It was filmed in 1977 in and around the inner suburb of Bankstown "The FJ Holden" movie

The film goes for a bit over an hour and a half,,, the link is below,,, enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xk54a0p1qw