LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:36 pm 
Feel the Steel

Sold my suburban less than 2 months ago and bought this.
Quickly de-grandpa'd it into this.
Which must have pissed of the God of the Elders as a 70ish year old lady did this today in front of my work as I watched and she ran.
Called the cops and they came out picked up the front half of her car laying on the ground and started to look for her by following the trail of debris. About 10 minutes later a guy I kind of new walked in and asked who owned the truck. So I told him me and he said, well my wife just hit your truck. As I am talking to him the police call and say the lady called them and told them she hit a truck and the officer was a half a block from finding the car when she called. So I asked the guy what happened and he said she was counting change on the console and swerved into the back of my truck and didnt want to stop as she was wearing pajamas. :roll: Her car is pretty F'd up worse than my truck (most of her car went under my truck). The only thing I can be thankful for is I ALMOST drove my SS to work after lunch, if she would have hit it, and as hard as she hit the Silverado, I would be very depressed person right now. So Yah I get to deal with insurance comPAINies and not have my truck for a couple of weeks, but I think the worst part will be driving it until everything gets settled to get it to a body shop. Sorry, real crappy day, had to vent, thank you and please drive through. :wink:

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Quote:
You cant have anything nice anymore

Yep.

On a related note, this is why I don't understand buying some $80k car to drive around on the streets with people that think it's more important to count change in their ash tray than to watch where they are going.

Still, what are you going to do? Drive a POS all your life?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Feel the Steel

Ok, question time, has anyone had to fight the other persons insurance company? I am asking as they sent this fat slob to estimate my truck, the first thing out of his mouth after being 3 hrs late for my appointment was how he didnt want to do this job anymore. Well he looked the truck over, was to fat to look under the truck and took pics of the underneath by holding the camera upward by his knees. He was here less than 10 minutes, said he would send in the pictures and his estimate. I get up the next morning and have the estimate in my email, for $2100. I figured it was going to be around $3000. So I take it to 2 seperate body shops and tell them nothing about the other estimates, one was $3889 and the other was $3875. I couldnt even fix the truck myself for the check they sent me today. Do I need to get my insurance company involved or have one of the body shops fight it out with them? Never had this problem before. A new bumper is around $750 and a bed side is $950, that takes most of the money right there, after paint and supplies, there is no money left for the 12+ hours of labor, both shops said pounding out the dent is not the way to go with todays paper thin sheetmetal (and I thought the LUVS had thin panels :lol: ) The topper was, the first shop I took it to, has on their board they do not accept estimates from this insurance company and when she seen the guys name on the quote, the first thing she said was "Oh not this @sshole".
Anybody else get lowballed like this?? Thanks

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've only had to deal with one insurance company for something like this. I called the office, told them I had two estimates. They wanted to argue, and I told them the next call they'd be receiving would be from a lawyer. They immediately changed their tune and I got my check.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

drummerforhire wrote:
I've only had to deal with one insurance company for something like this. I called the office, told them I had two estimates. They wanted to argue, and I told them the next call they'd be receiving would be from a lawyer. They immediately changed their tune and I got my check.

This should work. WHen they tried that with me before, I politely reminded them that I was not insured by them. And they were going to have to satisfy me...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:30 pm 
Feel the Steel

Cool! 8) Thanks, guess I will give them a call on Tuesday, I have an OSHA inspection at work next Friday (day before I start vacation) so that will help put me in the mood to rip some @ss! :twisted:

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm 
LSX LUV Owner

I've only had to deal with one insurance company. It was when I had my first luv when I was 16 and got hit in school parking lot. They kids insurance told me to get a quote and send it in. So I went to the priciest body shop in town. Got quoted like 1500$ to fix the lower part of bedside and a new wheel. I sent it in and shortly after got a check. Easiest deal ever. I bought a new wheel, semi straightened out the bedside and re flat black'd it and pocketed like 1200$ lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 pm 
Feel the Steel

Well, didnt realize till Sunday, there was a check in the mail from them on Saturday for the $2100, called my insurance and they said dont cash the check till you get the price worked out and they would get involved if needed. Called the bodyshop as I havent been able to get a hold of the guy there since Thursday and was told he called the insurance company and they are waiting to hear back from them (friggen holiday weekends). The other 2 times I have been hit in Colorado, it worked like you mentioned Wicked but craphole Wyoming isnt the same story, thats how I got my roll pan smoothed, tailgate shaved and cowl hood.
So the waiting game continues ............................................................ :evil: Drives me nuts to drive a crunched vehicle.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You set them straight?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 pm 
Feel the Steel

Not yet, I am waiting for the body shop and insurance company to hash it out right now, 2 weeks ago had and OSHA inspection I had to get ready for, last week I was on vaction and went to Denver to watch my Steelers lose (brother maybe trashed his transmission going about 90 miles out, we had to limp it back and get my moms tahoe and start over, came back on tuesday and went to Billings Montana and proceeded to cut my eye with a T-shirt (freak accident) and have pretty much been down not being able to see with that since Thursday, finally went back to work today and now the insurance company wants MORE pictures of it?? I dont understand. So almost a month later I am pretty much still at square one. The body shop does have a new takeoff bed (11 years old) that is in perfect shape that we are going to use instead of fixing my bed and hopefully save me some cash to pay for my ER visit, just have to find a bumper now.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

They "want more pictures" so they can act like they found something the adjuster missed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm 
Feel the Steel

Well, three months later I finally got the other half of my money this Saturday, the truck has been fixed for over a month and a half. Was great I had to float about $2000 of my own money for a month till I got the check.
Summary = if someone hits you, hope they dont have USAA insurance. :egeek

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It sucks you had to go through this. The way i do it is I sleep with my agent and all vehicles are in her name too, this speeds up the process :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 am 

I feel your pain. My truck was backed into on my way to vote. I still made it in on time to vote, little good that did! Anywho, still waiting for the bodyshop/adjuster the insurance company sent me to, to come up with the repair total. It's about $600 at least on cladding alone. Bodyshop can't find a replacement bed panel anywhere. Thing is, I already have a clean, rust free bed I want to use. I just want them to cut me a check so I can get to work on this thing. Only truck like it in town, and the lady managed to hit it! :evil:

Attachments:
2012-11-06 17.04.54s.jpg
2012-11-06 17.04.54s.jpg [ 345.95 KiB | Viewed 10712 times ]
2012-11-06 16.52.46s.jpg
2012-11-06 16.52.46s.jpg [ 345.97 KiB | Viewed 10712 times ]
2012-11-06 16.53.00s.jpg
2012-11-06 16.53.00s.jpg [ 364.29 KiB | Viewed 10712 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 am 
Addicted to LUV

is that a Syclone or a lookalike? 8O i have only ever seen one in person

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 am 

love4theluv wrote:
is that a Syclone or a lookalike? 8O i have only ever seen one in person

It's a Syclone, sy1177. I also have a '92 ty, ty0167. It's cheaper to buy the real thing than to build a clone. There's a few sytys in your neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm 
Feel the Steel

Man, not a Syclone!! She should serve jail time for that!!! :evil: Good luck on replacement parts, I know they are near impossible to find anymore (cladding, looks like she only got the top of the fender piece I hope). I did the same thing as you are going to, the bodyshop had an 11 year old take off bed in their yard that was perfect, so we used that and that took care of the couple of dents the other side had before I bought it. Good luck with your battle, I am very jealous you have BOTH a sy and a ty, and how come it is always a Ford or Dodge that hits a Chevy???

ps LOL on the vote comment.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

that are jealous of chevys ability to make cooler vehicles so they sacrifice themselves to take us down with them :lol:

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 pm 

TILTED wrote:
Man, not a Syclone!! She should serve jail time for that!!! :evil: Good luck on replacement parts, I know they are near impossible to find anymore (cladding, looks like she only got the top of the fender piece I hope). I did the same thing as you are going to, the bodyshop had an 11 year old take off bed in their yard that was perfect, so we used that and that took care of the couple of dents the other side had before I bought it. Good luck with your battle, I am very jealous you have BOTH a sy and a ty, and how come it is always a Ford or Dodge that hits a Chevy???

ps LOL on the vote comment.

Funny you mention jail time. The lady that hit my truck is actually a retired LEO and the mother of the newly elected county Sheriff. She was leaving the restaurant after celebrating her son's win when she decide to not use your driverside mirror and back into my truck! Her son the Sheriff was still inside and was the one who called the accident in! She was so embarrassed and kept apologizing. She was actually nice, I felt bad for her!

You won't hear this too often, especially from a syty owner, but this wreck worked in my favor. Truck spent some time back East and the bed has the rust cancer to prove it. The previous owner, the one who painted it the Volkswagen Platinum Gray, replaced the tailgate, both fenders and hood. The bed was next on my list for replacement. The accident expedited and financed the bed replacement. :D
Bodyshop is trying to figure out how to repair the bed. They want to replace the whole panel but can't find one. I have a bed I want to use, few dents and dings but no rust but I don't think the bodyshop wants to prep and paint a whole bed. I think they will make the estimate for straightening the panel. I'm sure it take plenty of labor time to do that. I bought a whole s10 minus the frame and drivetrain for $300, I think I'll come out ahead on this. I may do the repairs myself, use some of the money to invest in a good compressor and tools. I don't care if I end up spending a little more money. 8)

Don't be jealous of me, pity me. Syty ownership is mentally, physically and financially draining! But I drive one and I feel the boost kick in or when someone comes up to you and asks "Is that a Syclone or Typhoon?", ownership is worth it! Syty ownership doesn't leave me with a lot of money for the LUV project. Eventually the sytys will be "done" and I'll focus more on the LUV. I actually contemplated putting together a turbo 4.3 with my extra syty parts, but it would end up making the LUV a maintenance whore like a syty so I'm sticking with a simple V8.

Back on subject, kinda, I got a call a few hours ago from the lady's insurance company! The are admitting fault 100% and even apologized and said the lady is very sorry. I am currently working with my insurance but I wonder if I should deal directly with her insurance? I was told by my insurance that my premiums would not go up if I went through my insurance. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 am 
Feel the Steel

Do you plan on taking it back to black again? The guy that painted it silver should serve jail time too! :lol:
With my accident I talked to my agent and he said it was better if I didnt have to involve them but they would get involve if I ran into trouble with thier company. Going new bed vs fixing the old one only saved me about $200 as the bodywork labor went down but the paint supplies and prep went up and the bed cost more than just a bedside.
I know what you mean about a maintence whore those trucks are, my SS (same motor without all the goodies) has been nothing but trouble the last 10 years, everytime I get something fixed, something else breaks. :evil:

Gratuitous fixed pic. 8)

RIP R.J.B.