LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22769 Sorry Kids, No more Sale! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I'm so happy I don't have to drive that other rig! :lol:
Doubt the luv will be the most comfortable, but I've got bigger, comfier seats in mine.

Loading the Luv full of camping supplies and clothes, and headin' out east!
Seattle to NY!
Having a fellah look at it tomorrow to check for roadtrip worthiness. Gonna' take it easy. 55 mph the whole way if I can manage it. :)
Any Tips? I think i heard somewhere I should buy a spare fan and fan belts, but all that stuff looks ok, I think.... I have some extra radiator hose just in case.
I'm not the worlds best mechanic. I'm hardly functional to be honest... So that admitted, anyone have any hints or tips for taking my luv?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

just make sure you take it easy when you drive, get plenty of rest, and don't push your rig.

its going to be a LONG drive, so make sure you plan everything out, and know where your stops are, where the longest stretches of road are, and STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE. (Trust me on this, i drove from salt lake to Los angeles and back again)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:22 am 
da LUV masta

Take pictures of your LUV in front of landmarks, state welcome signs, and other points of interest... you will be glad that you did.

Be careful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 am 
da LUV masta

If you have a nice, unrusted LUV, it will be a rarity in salty New York. You may want to consider having it undercoated.

Sounds like fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:46 am 
Addicted to LUV

also, take spare fuses and a gallon of water.

maps are a big help for when you want to take small detours. (or GPS for that matter)

beyond that, a jug for some extra fuel ( a 2 gallon is enough to get you most places)

a blanket, a pillow, spare shoes, and a flashlight.

I cannot stress this enough - REST WHEN IT'S NEEDED. BOTH FOR YOU AND THE TRUCK!!!

And take lots of pics and post them here!
(as far as i know, you will be the second person who owns a luv to take it on a cross-country trip)

but, most importantly

HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure you keep a spare fuse set in the truck, just got through installing a couple extra 12V 'lighters' so i can plug in my mini radio transmitter and my phone!
W00! I may have a tape deck on the dash but i can listen to whatever i want! ^_^
Also got a list of things to change before i leave this wee.... next week...

4 new tires would be a good idea... at the very least 2.
front break hoses (original rubbers!)
rear break hose
both rear wheel/brake cylinders
clutch master cylinder & slave
brake master cylinder
thermostat and gasket (too many road trips where the therm siezes half way there.)
upper and lower radiator hoses + clamps... they still look .. ok... but they're the originals!!! and original biter clamps! no way I'm going to attempt the mountain pass pressure change with those bad boys. ..unless... no . no . i should change them and thats that. ^_^
Alternator belt (keep the spare, it's ok, just not perfect.)
and last but probably not least what I may have been mistaking for a rear main seal leak this whole time... VALVE COVER GASKET!

God I hope that ends up being what i thought was the RM seal. I'll post some pics of the leaf springs from a wider angle for ya. I think I just had the camera at a funny angle. :)
Shocks all seem ok.
sooo uhh.... donations? :wink: hehehe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:13 pm 
da LUV masta

theres two spots to stay out of.

west TX on I-40
and I-15 in UT

they have posted 80mph speeds 8O 8O

the UT one has no truck speed limit its ALL 80mph 8O

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

if you plan to take a direct route,

seattle - Spokane - Cour d'alene - Missoula - Helena - Billings - Rapid City - Sioux City - Ames - Cedar Rapids - Chicago - South Bend - Toledo - etc etc

route will take you through
Washington, Idaho, Montana, Section of Wyoming, South Dakota, Section of Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and new york.

If you let us know your timeframe for travel and your budget, we can help you plan out your trip!

( i love to plan out road trips)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

HAHA! NEAT!
I'm going to try to wing this one. It will be a journey toward the east in many respects.
I'm going to try and disconnect myself from the electronic things in my life and 'get back to nature'. all while burning gallons upon gallons of her sweet sweat/blood/dead dinos/lube/whatever the hell oil actually is. Much swinging of Rope and running of kata will be done. I also aim to fit in a couple hour of reading to fill in the cool down time for the truck. I'm doing and having a bunch of work done on it this weekend, the engine supposedly has less than 8k on it, tho' after 5k it sat for 3 years. Hard to believe I've put 3k miles on it already. Guess I drive a lot.
anyway tangent, how far should I drive {all meters and dials reading well} before i take a break?
I did this once before in an old 76 dodge, but that thing ran for a day strait before the thermostat seized up. ^_^;
I figure every 120 miles maybe stop for an hour? maybe I could push it to every 200? I figure going through the mountains will be the hardest part on the truck... y'know and coming down the other side... good thing I'm installing new break lines (how hard are those to find huh?) and the pads themselves look like maybe they were done before it sat for 3 years. pretty beefy considering, I'll likely burn those up so I don't wear the tranny too much. be expensive to replace that. My biggest thing is REMEMBERING to take pictures on the way, I tell myself I'm gonna' then I usually end up neglecting it. So Onward and Forward and hopefully not backward cause for some reason my reverse tail lights don't work. ... by god I'll replace everything else on that truck but come hell if i ever get around to figuring out why those aren't working... you guys like to read too huh?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

When i drove my 80 2wd to los angeles, i only took 4 breaks, two for food, two for fuel.

It all comes down to the faith you have in your engine. If you KNOW it's in good shape, you can go 300 miles a shot or more. (I did this from SLC to around Cedar city. AND i still had 5 gallons of fuel in a jug in the rear!)

I say, drive for about 3 hours, take short breaks to stretch out and give the truck a break. The only reason to let the truck cool down for more than 15 minutes is if it's overheating. Excessive cycles of heating and cooling is only going to hurt something in the long run.

Just some suggestions to keep in mind

Spares to carry:
belts
Fuses
bulbs
Oil ( whatever grade you are running in it at the moment)
brake fluid (small pint of it)
Coolant (either in a gallon jug or at least in a liter bottle)
FUEL - There are long stretches of highway out there that are void of fueling stations. A five gallon jug will increase your range by about 125 miles depending on how you drive, a two gallon jug should be the MINIMUM you carry! (this is assuming you get at least 25 mpg. I was getting 27 on my trip to LA)

Tools to carry
pliers (needle and regular)
Metric deep and short socket set WITH ratchet
Screwdrivers (#2 philips, #3 Philips and flathead of two sizes)
Jack and lug wrench(or tire iron)
wood block
small shovel
rags

Things that you should consider carrying:
Maps,
Flashlights (trust me on this one)
water (or a container to obtain some)
a pellet gun and ammo(just for critter defense in case you decide to stop at a campground)
small knife for whatever situation may arise.

it sounds like alot, but most of that stuff will fit in a small corner of your truck bed or behind the bench seat (assuming you have one)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Figuarus wrote:
When i drove my 80 2wd to los angeles, i only took 4 breaks, two for food, two for fuel.

It all comes down to the faith you have in your engine. If you KNOW it's in good shape, you can go 300 miles a shot or more. (I did this from SLC to around Cedar city. AND i still had 5 gallons of fuel in a jug in the rear!)

I say, drive for about 3 hours, take short breaks to stretch out and give the truck a break. The only reason to let the truck cool down for more than 15 minutes is if it's overheating. Excessive cycles of heating and cooling is only going to hurt something in the long run.

Just some suggestions to keep in mind

Spares to carry:
belts
Fuses
bulbs
Oil ( whatever grade you are running in it at the moment)
brake fluid (small pint of it)
Coolant (either in a gallon jug or at least in a liter bottle)
FUEL - There are long stretches of highway out there that are void of fueling stations. A five gallon jug will increase your range by about 125 miles depending on how you drive, a two gallon jug should be the MINIMUM you carry! (this is assuming you get at least 25 mpg. I was getting 27 on my trip to LA)

Tools to carry
pliers (needle and regular)
Metric deep and short socket set WITH ratchet
Screwdrivers (#2 philips, #3 Philips and flathead of two sizes)
Jack and lug wrench(or tire iron)
wood block
small shovel
rags

Things that you should consider carrying:
Maps,
Flashlights (trust me on this one)
water (or a container to obtain some)
a pellet gun and ammo(just for critter defense in case you decide to stop at a campground)
small knife for whatever situation may arise.

it sounds like alot, but most of that stuff will fit in a small corner of your truck bed or behind the bench seat (assuming you have one)

Nice check list! I've got pretty much all of that sans pellet gun or bench seat. I've got 2 larger bucket seats from what I believe is was an S-10, the previous owner bolted them in with some new holes. :) on the plus side, they are super comfy, even if they can't recline in the luv. I'll probably packed completely full as I'm taking everything i still own with me. I made a hammock to sleep in a month or so ago. tested it out today and yup, I can sure fall asleep in it, without even realizing it in fact! ^_^ good hammock, I suggest you all get 1000' spool of .550 paracord and knot yourself up a hammock, totally worth the 8-12 hrs it took me to make it big enough to fit me. but i digress...
changed my valve cover gasket and all the rubber pieces that go with it the other day and my god the engine got quiet, that certainly was the bulk of my oil leak, had to be(guess I'll find out soon enough). radiator hoses and cleared out the drain paths under the wipers and behind the front quarter panels, took a picture of one side, once i can figure out my phones method, I'll post the picture i took, sure was a lot of dirt and pine needles crammed in there, no wonder i was leaking water in to the cab when it rained hard. (Seattle, rain, yeah...) also put on one of those Kevlar reinforced V belts on the alternator, kept the older one, it wasn't in real bad shape but about as good as you can imagine sitting under the hood with no movement for 3 years.
Currently I've got a guy changing master and slave clutch and master break cylinders, wheel cylinders and front break hoses. (things I'm not terrible privy to repair.)
also I seem to have a bad relay or something when i turn on my high beams I get them on one side but not the other, followed wires but i can't seem to locate why the high beams are only working on one side, the bulbs are both good and I have spares now ^_^ heh.
Thanks again for the break advice and check list, Figuarus.
Knowing the engine has less than 8K on it right now makes me feel pretty good about the trip, I'm out of here once I get the call that the work has been completed, then I can start posting pics of the trek!
Too bad my bobcat isn't going to enjoy the ride as much as I will, ^_^ I'll post pictures of her too!...
One last mention, someone ran a 4 trailer connector through the slot for the spare tire release so i had to rewire that, and low and behold, there an old BIAS BELT tire in there, that simply won't do (could you imagine driving with 3 radials and 1 bias?). Bought new rubber on all 4s ($300 later, woof) and had them switch the bias for one of my better looking rear tires. Wow new tires and alignment makes a big difference on those little trucks doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:57 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Update: Massive delay...
mechanic that was supposed to take care of my brakes/clutch cylinders drug his feet to no end. Had my rig 3 days and did a whopping hour and 15min worth of work on it.
F Him.
Currently waiting to hear when my hoses are done so i can take it up to a shop to have the clutch stuff replaced. Sometimes, it doesn't pay to try to save money.
I swear to god I will get on the road eventually, hopefully not too late to miss any more deadlines.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

so you haven't said why you're taking this trip yet. you off to new york to see about a girl or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The southern way's I-10, deserts and such are hot right now... Drive your truck like it wants.... The Rockies can be a 3itch. You can always pretend it is a aircooled VW... Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. Freeways may be your friend... gives you the right lane. Be safe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you are gonna be close to Great Falls MT, send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer. Sounds like a good time, have a good trip.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:04 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

W00000!!!!
ok. long story short. The Luv made it from one end of the country and back again!
Wish I would have checked these posts earlier, I was near greatfalls at one point. Avoided the lower states all together (did those in a 76 dodge maxivan couple years ago). It was fucking hot everywhere!
New generator in Kansas, got some bad gas in Idaho (careful where you fill up in that state), and the points fused together as I was going up the last mountain pass, those were the only big delays. If my laptop's HD hadn't died on my half way there I'd have been able to check the replies. But now that I'm home the Back up HD is in and here I am! Back in Seattle!
Gotta do some tunning up, the new points I put in arnt at the perfect Gap, just in so i could get it home, and I had to adj. the carb to super rich so the bad gas didn't continue to stall out the engine. oh did I mention the carb is now leaking as well?
So, all and all that song Truckin' by the dead is pretty approptiate "what a long strange trip it's been"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

good gas in idaho is hard to find.. i hate geting gas at maverick . its like 20% water.lol

but my s10 likes its go fig.

4.3l V6. 5 speed MT 2.55 in the back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

glad you got home safe. so how long were you gone? what'd you do? :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Dry it's been a long couple months. I've been homeless and then not, then working A TON, then NOT it's kinda neat to be back on the site tho'. Even tho' I'm still not terribly stable. ^_^

To answer your q/t I did lotsa stuff. mostly drove the luv too long and too hard i think, but She held up very well and sans a fuel issue (pretty sure its fuel) I'm having, she'd still be up and running. I still haven't gotten my pictures off my camera yet. Guess that's where my priorities have been since I got back. I'll get around to it eventually, but I've got a lot of studying to do this summer so i hopefully get this job that will provide me adequate funds for updating the luv :) Ultimately I'd like to make her a convertible of sorts XD

Oh did I mention I had my bobcat (grey kitty so cute) with me the whole time... Pregnant...So now I have 2 cats ^_^ since I had a preggers kitty i think it prevented me from doing a lot of things I wanted to do, I was in such a hurry to get her to a stable place so she didnt have kittens in the luv... that'd been messy. Thats why I pushed the luv too hard on the way home.
My current issue is either a dead fuel pump or possibly a stretched timing chain. I just don't have the money to trouble shoot it atm. (anyone wanna buy a unicycle?) working on that tho' :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:38 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

ok as promised.. a couple pictures of my trip
:)
This is the best I've got that was on my phone. My camera is still floating around in a bag somewhere in the closet ^_^ but those are mostly pictures from inside the truck, taken of the beautiful scenery I saw on my way.

Attachments:
File comment: At a campground in West NY state (awful place, I won't name it, they don't deserve publicity), Parked next to my grandpa's WW2 cabin tent purchased from the military at the end of the war.
Photo0814.jpg
Photo0814.jpg [ 299.97 KiB | Viewed 8903 times ]
File comment: My little Bob cat, braving the wide open country on the top of the passenger seat. (where she rode most of the trip)
Photo0878.jpg
Photo0878.jpg [ 193.35 KiB | Viewed 8904 times ]
File comment: Vinnie's pizza on the way OUT of NY state (thank god, I don't think I'll be going to NY ever again) Excellent pizza from this little mini-mart/pizza & ice cream shop.
Photo0817.jpg
Photo0817.jpg [ 407.29 KiB | Viewed 8904 times ]

Last edited by bobcatluv on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.