LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Welder question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If I were to buy a welder, ( don't even know if I want arc tig mig wire feed etc???) at Harbor freight tools, which one would I want?
Are they any good at all? I know you get what you pay for and all that. I would like to fart around and learn to weld, then do small things like mount a front hitch on my Ford, fix the sway bar bracket on my 4X4, etc, just small stuff.
What amperage/size welder would be best? Are the Harbor Freight welders just junk in general?

Post subject: Re: Welder question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm 
da LUV masta

Yeah, they are junk. I have their cheapie 100 amp stick welder. Still I manage to get a lot done with it. I have had to open it up and redo some of the connections after the wire burned off.

Put your money into good rod, Lincoln 7310. Don't expect a cheap welder to handle much more than 3/32'' rod. Still, that is good enough to weld the common 1/8'' mild steel stock.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have had a Lincoln Stick welder for years and years. The 225 Amp "red box" welder. I've never had a problem with it. I plan to buy the biggest 110 Millermatic wire feed they make when I can...hopefully soon. I have used them and like them alot and by sticking to a big 110 unit I can take it to a friends place and work without having to have a generator or relying on 220 volt. I have alot of harbor freight hand tools but outside of a drill press and metal band saw I don't think I've bought any of their other electronics. Never had a problem with either of them though.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 pm 
da LUV masta

My read on the welders at the Freightster is that I might gamble $99 when they are on sale for the flux core wire fed, but you have to remember you can't really weld much more than 1/8" or 3/16" with one so I don't know it would end up much use for anything but building an exhaust on a truck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I bought a Hobart wire welder (not from Harbor Freight) 3 years ago and it works great.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:11 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Dog trainer wrote:
I have had a Lincoln Stick welder for years and years. The 225 Amp "red box" welder. I've never had a problem with it. I plan to buy the biggest 110 Millermatic wire feed they make when I can...hopefully soon. I have used them and like them alot and by sticking to a big 110 unit I can take it to a friends place and work without having to have a generator or relying on 220 volt. I have alot of harbor freight hand tools but outside of a drill press and metal band saw I don't think I've bought any of their other electronics. Never had a problem with either of them though.

I do quite a bit of welding and have friends that make a living at it. If you are a learner? IMO..Get a good 110V gas shielded welder. i might get bashed for opinion but o well. Stick is old skool when it comes to automotive. NON-AUTOMOTIVE that really needs some strength get a buddy to help you. IMO these days dont let an old skool stick welder scare you away from a mig....They are very forgiving...and the good/powerful ones can stick 1/2 inch..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 am 
Addicted to LUV

I prefer a tig, never tried the HF ones though...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luvit80 wrote:
Dog trainer wrote:

I do quite a bit of welding and have friends that make a living at it. If you are a learner? IMO..Get a good 110V gas shielded welder. i might get bashed for opinion but o well. Stick is old skool when it comes to automotive. NON-AUTOMOTIVE that really needs some strength get a buddy to help you. IMO these days dont let an old skool stick welder scare you away from a mig....They are very forgiving...and the good/powerful ones can stick 1/2 inch..

I do quite a bit as well but I agree with you, I want to upgrade to the 21st century and get a good wire feed. I have used the Millermatic and liked alot. don't laugh but for alot of my automotive body repair work I am still doing alot of BRAZING. I have been doing that for over 28 years. I know, that is beyond OLD SCHOOL.

1981 Luv 2WD
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
da LUV masta

no working with lead on body work would be old school

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

luv75/77 wrote:
no working with lead on body work would be old school

definatly...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I had the same ? but went ahead and got one from harbor freight (90amp flux core) It was on sale plus I had a 10% coupon, its been good to re-learn or should I say teach my self :oops: for an affordable price
someday when I win the lottery I will get a bigger, fancier one

I have done some exhaust's and mild repairs around the garage with it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I will always have a stick welder. There are alot of things I can do with mine that I can't with a wire feed. Or at least not without alotof changes. I can use it as a cutter with the right rods, (and have) weld with stainless steel rods, nickel rods for spring steel and a ton of other applications. Stick welders definitely still have their PLACE. They take more time to learn to use though. I can also use mine to thaw frozen water pipes if I ever needed to. I can definitely weld alot heavier metals with my stick welder than with the 110 wire feed welders I have used.

1981 Luv 2WD
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Dog trainer wrote:
I can definitely weld alot heavier metals with my stick welder than with the 110 wire feed welders I have used.

Most definatly.....but there are migs that can handle that but are not cheap. I personally have the miller 250. It will weld 1/2" with little problem. But compared to the price of a normal a normal stick welder they are really expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I'm reading it all. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

Most HF electric tools - stuff is junk, not all of it.. I have a 110v mig from Tractor Supply. It does ok. It is 110 volt, so I have not done much HD, thick stuff. I never had any luck with stick welders on thin metal-sheet metal. I have done gas on those before, but takes more work to me.I have done 1/4 " with gas.. Thick metal with a small mig takes multiple passes. I was the shop foreman at a shop where we did oilfield and gooseneck trailer manufacturing. Stick took multiple passes too. Big Millers, so I have a preference for Millers. Nothing wrong with a Lincoln or even a Hobart.

So it still comes down to what you want to do.... if it is auto, get some old fenders to practice on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:25 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I have been welding for 9 years and my dad use to own a local sheet metal company for 25 years and we only used Lincoln and Miller welders hands down the best in both of our opinions. I have a small Lincoln wire feed in my garage and it gets any job done not sure what model will have to look but I have built trailers with my dad and dog boxes/canopy's. My dad has a little plasma torch that has a connection on it for stick also really neat but I never have toyed with that one to much he likes 2 in 1 product lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:08 pm 

Not sure if its been listed, or if you've already gotten a welder but, I'd recommend a Lincoln welder to anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

been useing the lincoln 225 I got in 1960 no problem
geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OK. So HFT is out of the equation. That being the case, I will need to save up more money for a "real" welder. :D I'll start reading Craigslist. I'll ask around at work too. Maybe there's one in the back I can get real cheep.

Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Seems like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge arguments. :D
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have never used a Hobart but have friends that have and they swear by them just like I do my Lincoln Stick welder. We get Hobart here at the BIG R and they are alot more affordable than Millers. Just thought I would throw that out there because I'm going to price them today myself. I need one but if I can make myself have patience, it will be a Millermatic. Good luck with whichever one you buy.

1981 Luv 2WD
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk