LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Welder question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I've got a Lincoln 220V (crackerbox) stick welder and it has always been solid. I got a cheap used Lincoln 110V wire feed from craigslist and I'm still learning on it using fluxcore wire. I got this one to someday replace my floorboards. It seems to me they overlap in uses, but they do have different ranges of uses and steel thickness's. You should probably decide what you need to use it for the most and go in that direction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

just bought a harbor freight flux core wire fed and it works for the small stuff i do, paid 109.00 and got a two year replacement warranty with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

CT'S LUV wrote:
just bought a harbor freight flux core wire fed and it works for the small stuff i do, paid 109.00 and got a two year replacement warranty with it.

OK it's been a couple years. I still have not bought a welder. How's that HF one working for you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i got a nice lincoln 110v 125a mig with a cart, tank, reg, full spool etc for 250 off craigslist and i love the thing
i havent heard much bad about the hf wirefeed my buddy uses one for work with sheet and very light plate, says he wouldnt trust it for anything needing to be real strong but a 90a 110v isnt made for something real strong anyway

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

rondog wrote:
CT'S LUV wrote:

OK it's been a couple years. I still have not bought a welder. How's that HF one working for you?

I bought the HF 90 amp unit about 3 years ago for $89 on sale. I am a beginner for sure but it seems to handle everything I have thrown at it. It is for light jobs only, I wouldn't weld any frame or anything major. I would throw out the wire that comes with it and buy some Lincoln wire the same size. The HF wire splatters really bad. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:44 am 
Addicted to LUV

If i was to buy a new welder today this would be it . Reasonable price . Good reviews . Has reasonable priced aluminum spool an option . For around $500 you can weld both steel and aluminum . Lots of Youtube vids for it . Italian made and i beleve the eastwoods id a rebabge and it can be bought cheaper under prodigy brand name . May be wrong on the name though :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400669849853

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I picked a Lincoln 170 at home depot. Its a 220 box but its not that hard to wire in, all you need is a 30 amp circuit. I used to have a Lincoln 110 and while it was ok for sheetmetal it really wasnt much use for anything else. Save your money and get one with enough balls to do the job and you wont be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I pretty much know nothing about A/C power. I have a 110/30 amp plug on the side of the garage for RV's to plug into. Can I have that converted to 220?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you know what you are doing. If you are not sure, hire it out...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

No way would I do it my self. I was just surprised to know that the 110v/ 30 amp line could be converted to 220v.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

OK , The welder i posted was based on 110 volts only . If 220 is avalible i would have a different choice for sure .

In my case 220 volts is not avalible without replacing the service/breaker panel , riser has to be extended , new riser wires , hole through the roof .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I weld a lot in my job and I talked my boss into buying a small 110V stick welder from NorthernTool.com a couple weeks ago. I know, I'm still on my stick welder kick but I like them alot. Since this post started I have also gotten a nice wire feed welder from Hobart. I shied away from the millermatic for my own reasons.

I work in a feed plant that goes from the basement to 7 stories up and we have no 220 wired in except in the shop so that's why I asked for a 110 volt machine so I can take it with me all over the plant. Now I'm going to get some negative comments here but stick welding has it's place especially in my environment. Anytime you weld you should do so on clean (non rusty, non painted, no contaminants) metal. Well that doesn't always happen where I work and can't. A wire feed welder is not very forgiving in this situation. Metal needs to be clean (practically new) for it to perform right. I can stick weld over a lot of other less than desirable situations. OK, I'm getting long winded here. The 110V stick welder I'm talking about is literally the size of an old school lunch box and has a shoulder strap to carry it. It is capable of using 1/16th, 5/64th and 3/32nd electrodes and I have used them all. It maxes out at 90 amps which is fine for welding up to 3/32 rods and welding metal from lightweight sheet metal up to 3/16 steel...and I have used it on 1/4 inch thick walled pipe. If you are going with a wire feed, they are all good, Miller, Hobart and Lincoln. I like the Hobart I have and for the price you can't beat it. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200512862 Hopefully this link will take you there. If not go to Northerntool.com and search arc welder. It's the 110v one listed at $179. I use it and can speak for it on applications that I listed above.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Were doing an add on to the house. I had the electrician run a 220v 30amp wire and outlet into my garage. I talked with a fabricator/welder buddy who said to get a Lincoln weld pak 180. This one http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Eq ... lectric%29
Seems to sell between 6 and 7 hundred dollars.
I'll let you know when I get one so you can watch for the news story about the guy in Whittier who burnt his house down playing with his new welder. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That is the one I have, I got mine off Craigslist...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

the Lincoln 180 is what my chassis shop / fabricator uses .