LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A word to the wise...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well, I just traded my bike for a 69 Impala, and turns out the guys who sold it to me didn't legally own the car.

The woman who sold the car to them forged the REAL owner's name on the title and sold it to them. These guys in turn, traded me for the car.

Now, here's the kicker. I called the rightful owner (out of stupidity, or conscience or something) and told him i have the car. While he is not mad that i have it, he is mad that his baby was sold illegally and couldn't find the car. (his aunt refused to tell him)

Now, i guess i have to file a civil suit in order to get my bike back , or at least to get it to the car's rightful owner as a trade ( he is willing to take the bike as a trade)

The rule of thumb here kids, is to MAKE SURE ANY car you intend to buy from a private party has a clear title, or at least run a vin check with the DMV. :? :x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

You know, it used to be once in a while you came across these asshats.

Lately it seems to be happening more and more. It's kinda sad that we're devolving as a society.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

I can tell you from a similar experience that you are better off insisting that you both go to the DMV and do the title work immediately . This will eliminate most of the BS and ensure that in 90 days or so you get the correct paperwork . When buying the S-10 I talked to a couple of with trucks . One important question was " You have a clear title in your name Correct ?" This shutdown 80% of my truck deals . Even the truck i bought had a title that the new owner dated and signed & dated the front where he was surpossed to to show ownership and accidently signed & dated the rear at the same time . The DMV tried to fine me $856 for not transfering the title . I had to get a witnessed statement of fact from the previous owner to get htat taken off . Title work sucks .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 am 
da LUV masta

Look into a repo company since you have a breech of contract. Also how did the guy lose possession of the car? Maybe he is scamming you and there is more to the story? Don't give up the car that easy, get your bike back and let this guy sue those guys for the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

I got off on a rant , but im with Fred . Something sounds fishy . if you talked to this guy and he knows you have the car and it was taken from him illegally , the cops would already be involved . If you have all the paperwork and there is nothing filed about the forgery with the police then he is allowing the car to go . I would already have the police involved if it was me . I would file the paperwork and get it titled n my name before he changes his mind and reports it stolen or just comes and gets it and files for a lost title . They all may be scamming you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I knew of a guy that sold his car to someone. He told them for half the money he would leave the car and the keys, and then come back with the pink slip the next day for the second half. The catch is, he would show up that night with a spare set of keys and take his car back.

He did this to several people, over and over.

Eventually someone took a bat to the back of his head.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:30 pm 
da LUV masta

@ 20 years ago I sold a Pro Street 69 Camaro to a friend. He was making payments on it. We agreed that he could make payments and have possession of the car as long as it stayed in the state of Ca and I kept the title till all payments were made in full. He had a house in Ca and one in Az. He made one payment and then took the car out of state. I found out about it as soon as I went to get the next payment. I went out to Az to repo my car. He was installing a BBC in it. I gave him a courtesy call and told him I was an hour away and I had reported the car stolen and I was showing up with the Marshals. Anything done to the car when I got there was now confiscated and became mine and any and all payments made were now forfeited. He pulled the motor out and had my car ready to pick up. Now I had the Marshal meet me there, but they were there to keep the peace and could not get involved in a civil matter. Since we had a deal and there was a breech of contract, I could not report the car stolen, but he didn't know that and since the Marshal was there he fig it was true. I had to notify him he no longer had permission to have the car, once that was done I could repo the car. If he choose to not surrender the car then I need a court order from an Az court. He knew we would settle this out of court so it all worked out and I got my car back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i did some more talking with the guys who sold me the car. i guess the old owner had known about the sale since vic (the guy who sold me the car) said the aunt had a list of things that needed to be taken out of the car.

vic has a point though, if it's a simple case of the guy not getting paid for the car, then it is indeed a family matter that i don't need to get involved with. beyond that, i will just go to the DMV on monday (if i have time) and get the car titled in my name and that's that. if he wants to take me to court, so be it. i will charge him for all labor and tow charges that were incurred. (we strap-towed it, but still, it was my time and that of my father's)

this still pisses me off and although i do have the car in my possession, i fear that someone will end up coming by to take the car.... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hotrod80 is right.
Do a title transfer with a lean on it, with you as the lean holder if it is payments. If it leaves his yard it can be reposed with out any troubles. Most documents can be found on line free.

You can not beat all people who are out to screw you, but you have to act as if they are. I used to just buy something and have the "owner" sign the title... I have not done that in a while...Always know where they live.

I did work with a guy years ago, that bought his truck from a New Car dealer. It was used. He was getting some body work done on it and the cops took it and said it was stolen before someone sold it to the dealer. He still had to pay on the truck till it was paid off. He left before I knew if he sued or not.

I can always have a few biker friends come with me to fix things. It is nice to have friends.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:lol: thats ONE way to get things taken care of

well went to the DMV a week ago and just got the title in my name.

SO

Guess who is the LEGAL owner of one 1969 Chevy Impala 2 door sportcoupe?

That's right. THIS guy! :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The guy with two thumbs?

LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Glad to hear that all worked out!
I've never had issue with bad titles, just cars with lots and lots of reports on the titles.
(accidents etc.) It is a shame sociaty as a whole is taking a nose dive.
I blame freemasonry :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I blame pop music and canada.