LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:32 pm 
Well i have this toyota 4runner and it overheats now and then. It seems to run good but I checked the timing the other day and found its advanced about 20 degrees or so, possibly more. So my question is, why would it be advanced so far? When i set it to factory spec it wont run worth a shit...it will backfire and wont even go up the smallest incline. I was told that the head was redone awhile back...he said 90k mi back. But i'd hate to think it was run this long like this. I was thinking maybe the timing chain was off a tooth or two? Any thots guys? Thx in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

the chain thing could be a possibility.... however I would be looking to see just how much was milled off of the head.( this puts the cam and crank closer together...chain the same length) . also you may want to look at the balancer to make sure it has not slipped and giving you the worng reading with your timing light ....

later Spanky

GOTTA GET A NEW LUV!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:14 am 
I agree with spanky, check the specs of the head, and your balancer... We had that problem on my sisters 87 toyo pickup... It looked about 27* past, but it was actually where it was supposed to be..... As for the heating thing, check your thermostat... Your cooling system may need to be flushed if it hasnt been since it was new.... We flush out our '90 4runner every 20k, it becomes alot after 297,369.2 miles...... I am assuming you know how to check your thermostat, so I wont try to act like im smart...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:13 am 
I replaced the thermostat already. Strange thing is, when it overheats it doesnt show on the dash always...and when it does its already well over the point where it should be on HOT and the needle just jumps. The guy i bought it from said he flushed the system but I dont know....maybe i'll just do it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:09 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

nate with the guage acting like that it sounds to me as if it was not full of coolant. the sending unit has to be in coolant before it can read what the engine is doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm 
the radiator is full of coolant.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:29 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

then look at the water pump to make sure the impeller has not rusted off