LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Calculating H.P.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Im hoping that somebody can help me figure out a way to figure out a rough estimate of what kind of horse power my motor is producing? Is there a website that i can go to?

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Heres a link that is EXACTLY what you want...

http://www.bgsoflex.com/roughhp.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks!!! Thats pretty cool. But i thought that the motor could put out more than 242 h.p. I guess i need to throw some more money in to the motor.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:02 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

you may also try the web site

http://www.prestage.com

GOTTA GET A NEW LUV!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: horse power
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:48 pm 
da LUV masta

Hey blue if its not enough SPRAY IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I cant go NOS because the motor never gets above 4000 r.p.m. I'd have to change the axle ratio before i try anything like that. And besides, i'd rather be BLOWN!

Post subject: blown
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:27 pm 
da LUV masta

Yeah ........thats why Ive got a 6-71.Finally built the mounts for my front and mid plates this weekend.Looks great.Cant wait to get it finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:24 am 
that is rear wheel HP
Now for fly wheel HP it depends on auto Vs. stick. What type of rear end aow tight everything is set up
it sounds like you are about 325 HP at the crank. If you are using stock rods I would by care full of NOS
Post your cam specs. on your motor
Cam
heads
compretion
carb
I have a dyno program that has bean good for me and it has been accutate between it and the dyno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have since gotten a program called Dragstrip plus. I fed all kinds of info to it and it gave a rating of 312 Gross H.P., 231 Net H.P., And a 1/4 mile speed of 99 m.p.h. Along with a bunch of other info like 60 ft time, corrected stall calculation and such. It seems like a pretty good program. And it's free for the basic setup. 40.00 for the advanced version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I have a program called Desktop Dyno 2000. Its an engine simulation program. You can basically take any engine, punch the specs in and it will give you hp and torque graphs at certain rpms. Its pretty neat, you can do what if calculations too. Like say you were wondering what type of cam would make your engine more mid range power. Just try a few different cams and there ya go...Instant dyno graphs! Cost me about 60 bucks Canadian. Something too look into anyways...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:25 pm 
http://www.bgsoflex.com/roughhp.html

That website is pretty good! I put in the stock numbers for my Luv, and got 76 horsepower... pretty close to right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Blue Meanie wrote:
I cant go NOS because the motor never gets above 4000 r.p.m. I'd have to change the axle ratio before i try anything like that. And besides, i'd rather be BLOWN!

The fastest car I've ridden in was a small block 400 with NOS. The guy shifted at at something like 5500 RPM and I believe he was running 3.73's. Had something like a 3000 stall too. The car was very tame around town, but when he turned on the NOS and hit the gas, it was a ROCKET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Maybe later on i'll build another motor like a 383. And it will be built specifically for performance, but for now i'm digging the just above stock 400 setup i have now. Even with this setup, i can already see that the truck will need to be modified to deal with more power. Smoking the tires is fun and all but getting pinned in to the seat from acceleration is better.
Initially the idea was to build a V-8 motor at my own pace and eventually upgrade the truck. But i tried to get my nephew in to a Luv truck that would get my Buick V-6 motor setup. Time (i thought) was against me and i jumped at the chance of getting the 400. This put everything in to motion and there was no stopping now. But the truck that was lined up for my nephew was very straight but it had too much rust and it would have taken too much work for him to get things right. With trying to go back to work i was scrambling to get it done. Once the dust cleared, the truck has met my expectations but it also brought out details that now need to be addressed. Once the new job is lined up, i plan to take the truck with me and make some improvements. I cant say that NOS will not be considered with the 400, but i'll need to rework some things to even concider it. Im going to take things one step at a time. The next major items are a posi axle and line lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

bro when you talking nos..jugging it some you talkin going via your motor every fall checking mains ..crank etc....plus its better if its o ringed...400 is a good engine,,,,,mines a 434.......it takes a hell of a lot of money to go fast.not just juice you have to be able to hook it and shift it..look at my pics in GENERAL ..discussion.....15 years and 50 grand can t touch the cost..its unreal......i would stay with what you have when you start juicin it up metal will find its weakest link and its getting fixed every week.......stay stock...and be streetable and have fun..take care long live the v 8 luv.2 big bad cobras with 351 s at the track last weekend going 8 flats......people dont realize how hard it is to hook or go fast.....these are 40 thousand dollar autos....your luv with a few changes could shuck these guys easily.......trust me,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes with the 400 setup, i can already see that the truck needs other mods to be able to use the power it has now. I have 2.75 to 1 axle gearing because i want to be able to drive the truck down the Hwy, keep pace with traffic and not have overheating issues. It does all that quite well. But i must confess, i cant help but wonder what the truck would be like with lower gearing, stickier tires, 4 link...
I guess i built the truck correctly for the Buick V-6 and it was a fantastic setup. I didn't realize how well suited it was until i changed it out to a V-8. Going bigger means the rules have changed and it looks like i will be reworking things to the new rules. But thats all part of hot rodding isn't it?But for now, i need to address certian things that are not performance oriented, for instance my hood. It's ok but i modified the radiator support to fit a bigger radiator and the hinges were eliminated and a hood pin kit was installed. It got the job done but now i want to fabricate some hinges so i can have a working hood again. The pins are a nusance and i have a crack in the hood along with the holes for the pins. So i'd like to have hinges and a cowl induction hood.