LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1990 Volkswagon Fox
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:10 am 
da LUV masta

My mom just bought this car for $50 bucks. The fuel pump wasn't working and I told her I could probable fix it for her. I was counting on it having a wire loose under the car or something. I was wrong.

It's getting no power at the fuse panel. If I run a hot wire to where the pump wire goes into the back of the panel it'll work, but I don't know where power is supposed to go into the panel so I don't know where to test it to see if it's getting power. Anyone happen to have a diagram for this car? My Chilton manual that says it covers this car doesn't have a diagram for it and there is no Haynes. Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

All I can say is good luck. Some friends of mine had one of those and fought fuel pump problems the whole time they owned it. I'll see what they remember about it. I would think you should be looking for a relay somewhere that controls the pump, but I have no idea.

Post subject: the fix
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:14 pm 
whell from what i understand the feul pump is getting no power so here's a quick 10 dollars or less fix (if the feul pump is electric and works). when my uncles mustang done that(damn Fords lol) all i done was go to wal mart and buy a toggle switch and some wire 14 guage speaker wire works run a constant hot to the toggle switch and a hot from that to the feul pump so when you get in the car you might have to flip the switch or you can find a accessorie hot like for the radio don't use the radio it messes up the radio and just run a wire from that to the feul pump . if you can't find which wire on the feul pump is the hot take off the feul pump andplug the lines so nothing gets in themtake the feul pump and run a wire from each wire then touch them to your batteryif you know any thing about wiring it won't work if the ground is touching the hot and the hot touching the ground if that made any since.

well i hope that helped if not tell me what i got wrong and i'll give you something about that

glad to be help if any rigging stuff up ain't the best but it works

"REBEL BY BIRTH, SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:24 pm 
da LUV masta

I would just toggle it. But my mom is 62 years old and I know for a fact that she's NEVER going to remember to shut it off, and the idea of the thing pumping gas to a burning engine and roasting her alive in an accident because I wanted to take a short-cut kinda gets to me. I was hoping to find the safe route on this, gotta take care of the old folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm 
she's just a little outta my league i could fix it right but it would take me a while just trying to help the idea wityh out the toggle switch would work be cause it would be just like the regular way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Just wire it to an accessorie wire, so when she turns on the key, the fuel pump will come on, and when she shuts it off, it goes off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It could be oil pressure related. Some vehicles are wired to allow the fuel pump to work if there's oil pressure. No oil pressure equals a motor that cant be fried. I dont know if VW cars have this feature or not but it's something that i would look in to.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:16 pm 
Yup.....Blue meanie has a good point there because that is exactly how the chevy vega was wired, which was the first car with in tank elec fuel pump, as I recall.
but ya know, even though vega did that as a safety feature to keep from blowing a motor, i still somehow managed to blow not one but TWO vega motors, and this was back when they werent very old LOL :lol: 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:09 pm 
da LUV masta

Well, I found, and bypassed the pump relay and it worked, so I think that's the problem right there. Bad news is this little 1" by 2" box with 5 little prongs coming out of it cost me $35 and it's special order so I won't get it 'til the August 10th.

When I bypassed it and started it up it ran kinda crappy, and if I took the oil cap off, it would stall. Sounds like oil pressure related to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:44 am 
da LUV masta

Got the relay and lo and behold it runs, but I put new wires and plugs on it before I got it running, according the the chilton book I have it's all hooked up right, it's running like crap. It idles really slow and rough, when you gun it it runs fine til you let go of the gas, then it stalls out and catches right before it dies, and idles like crap. What do you think? Plug gap, wires crossed. I pulled all the wires off with the car running and I couldn't sense a change with any of 'em. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:33 pm 
8O .....sounds like a night-mare to me, but then I dont know alot bout VWs, wish i could help.Have had a few of those foxs around but ended up selling everyone one of them "as is", now have a chance to buy two more for really cheap but i said "thanks but no thanks" 8) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:18 pm 
da LUV masta

Put a new rotor and cap on it today, inspected the old one and found out that it had been put on wrong, kinda lopsided and the rotor had been digging at the side of the cap under the number 3 wire. Put the new one on and it seems to be turning fine. :D

Found a cracked vacuum tube a couple inches after the vacuum advance going into the carbon canister. Threw a new one on there and it's running pretty good. :drinking:

now I've just gotta find out why the pass rear brake light and parking light goes out with the headlights on. 8O

Gonna take it into my emmision guy next time I get a chance and see how it does on the smog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:31 pm 
Well I be daggum 8O Sounds like you pert near made a car out of it after all 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:37 pm 
da LUV masta

Don't go jumpin' to conclusions, it's still got it's fair share of problems. The right blinker light on the dash blinks normal, til you step on the brake, then it flashes faster. Weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:46 pm 
8O.......OMG sounds like its got Yugo-idis, cause both my yugos do that :lol: LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:13 am 
da LUV masta

Ok, I had the thing going great, except for a little stumble when you let off the gas. So I tracked down a diaphram fuel regulator not attached to the vacuum system. Had to splice in on another vacuum line (which as far as I can tell is the only one). But it was under the intake so I had to remove the battery. Took ten minutes. When I put the battery in to start up, it doesn't start. Cranks and cranks, and cranks some more, but nothin.

As fas as I can tell now all of a sudden the fuel pump isn't running, (again) and there's no spark to the plugs. Between my truck being broke and this car, (which is my backup) being all screwed up, I'm thinking about bying a bike, and two sticks of dynamite.