LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Ok guys, overall, which is harder to do, suspension lift or body lift. Me and a friend had this argument, im saying body is harder, but he still thinks suspension is the harder of the two to do. What do you guys think... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:31 pm 
depends on what you're lifting. if you have a straight axle toyota, the suspension lift would probably be easier since it's just 4 leaf packs. just unbolt them from the hangers and the axle and put the new ones in their place

as for something with IFS like a luv or trooper(or later toyota 4x4) a body lift is definitely easier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

We are planning on a 1971 Dodge Power Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you are buying a kit for both, the suspension lift will go in faster. (Assuming you don't have some IFS setup like on a newer truck, a problem you won't have on a 71 Dodge)

Body lifts are maybe not as technically difficult, but there is just a lot of work involved. You have replace every body mount with a spacer, and take care of any little issues you have created like shifter bind, steering collumn, brake/fuel lines, gas tank filler neck. Just putting in the spacers (on a LUV we're talking about 16 or so, dunno on the Dodge) takes a fair amount of time.

Look at it this way: Its easy to jack up the frame and work on stuff attached to it for a suspension lift. Try to find an easy way to jack up the body without lifting the frame to put in the body lift. (And you have to do it without destroying wiring, brake lines, fuel lines, linkages, and the body itself)

On something where you have to fabricate suspension lift parts like swapping a straight axle into the front of a LUV, you are in way deeper than any body lift. If you have a kit or have thought out what parts you are using, the susp lift will take less effort, its the building it from whatever you have available that would add time and effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Awesome, thanks guys, that helps with the decision! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

how can u expect anyone to concentrate with that lovely avatar you have there......yumm.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

:lol: :lol: Isn't it great! And the best part, the more I post...the more I get to see it!!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:20 am 
:drinking: Who?......what???? where???? Someone posted????? :scrambleup: :lol:
Later
Husker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:59 pm 
power wagon suspension is set up the same way as a toyota...all you'll probably replace are leaf springs, shocks, shackles and u-bolts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:04 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

K Awesome, i think i found everything out i need to. Have to find a place to buy springs and all the goodies, then build this thing up and were gonna have one hell of a machine :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:15 am 
da LUV masta

when i was up at shiloh ridge offroading about 6 months ago. i saw a luv for sale. (kinda wierd cause i had completely forgotten about it until today) but anyway it was a 4x4 and had a small block chevy in it. it had the stock axles and about a 6" body lift made out of what looked like 1" pipe. it looked so unstable. i bet the body would sway bad going down the road. it also had 32" or 33" tires on it. the truck looked good, but it all looked rigged. the filler plug for the front axle was missing and i think the front drive shaft was gone too. i wouldn't have been suprised if the front axle was torn up. would have been a nice truck, with a good lift and stronger axles. i can't see going to the trouble of a v8 swap, then making a body lift, and using the stock axles. could have thrown in a set of toyota axles and a toyota suspension lift and had a real nice truck. but anyway not real sure if this has much to do with the topic, i saw the post on body lifts and it made me think of that truck.

"A man who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt a man doing it."