LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm seeing coupons for $15 oil and lube jobs. I can't buy 5 quarts and a filter for that. I know they try to up sell you on other stuff and all that. I know how to say no. My main question is the coupon price is "conventional" or "bulk" oil, not name brand bottled oil. Wouldn't the bulk oil still be a major oil brand, just delivered to them in a drum instead of bottles? Is this "cheaper" oil OK to use? Is it inferior oil?

I'm looking for input from people who have worked at these places or mechanics who would know, rather than opinions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

They buy in bulk. It doesn't even come in drums in some shops. A truck shows up and pumps from a tank onto a tank in the shop. I am sure the have to upsale to make any money.

I just went to the Toyota dealer Monday morning for an oil change. I got 7 qts of 0-20 oil, a canister oil filter and the truck was washed. I paid $29.95, don't know how they made any money.

Last edited by Luvrv8 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

I just called the Motor Man radio show on KABC. I got on air, and he said stay away from bulk oil. Only buy the good stuff.... then he went into a promotional speech for the brands that sponsor him, and then came back to me to say you don't know what could be in that bulk oil, don't use it.
That show is too sponsored to get any real answers any more. What a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

I know at the dealers I used to work for we called it a "ad loss leader". Basically we lost a few bucks on the oil change but would upsale brakes, cabin air filters and anything else we could get. The dealer just tried it to me as usual. They said I needed a cabin and engine filter. The total cost was 1.5 hours labor and close to $100 in parts. I asked how could either filter be dirty, I changed both in the NAPA parking lot in less then 5 minuets for $30 in parts just 10 miles ago. The same reply they always give me is "we just go off off mileage".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I'd always double check everything after going thru a place like that.

The work going on is usually fast pace & things are often forgotten or over looked all together.

but the temptation is there cause its border line cheaper & little quicker but just easier w/ no mess.

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

When I have used them, they keep pushing for me to go relax in the waiting room, but I stand just outside the shop and watch them. lol they hate it.

I found a 4 quart jug of syn. 5-30 in the garage that my son doesn't want, so I went and bought one more qt., and a filter. Guess I won't be lazy and go get dirty. I'm hard enough on the poor little minivan, I guess I could at least feed it good oil. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have always wondered what kind of quality oil those places use. Granted in huge quantity they COULD get the good stuff for that cost but I don't trust it. That and the nearby cheap shop uses Pennzoil and i have been advised by several people to never use it so... diy oil changes for me at least..

+1 on the upcharging. My mom has one of the grand prix gtx's with the 5.3 ls4 and paddle shift auto... sweet car... had the famous factory recall on the ignition switch.. they were looking to add on new front discs and rotors and a bunch of nickel and dime b.s. it didn't need... those gtx rotors are huge, vented and cross drilled they wanted something like 600 bucks. Told her hell no get it home and i will look at it... got it home front pads are at 3/4 still and the discs are fine no gauges or bad uneven wear.. even with it damaged its $17ish a piece to get them turned at the machine shop.. they will take you on a wild ride with the upcharges!

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The quickie places are the same as the dealer on my Lexus LS460L on price. I let the dealer do it for a $100 since it's a pain to pull all of the panals off the bottom of the car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 am 
Addicted to LUV

I worked for a place years ago that also dealt in bulk oil. It came in on a tanker, stored in gigantic tanks, and left our terminal on a bobtruck and was pumped into bulk tanks on the customers site.

It was all brand-name stuff. Nothing fancy, but not "Great-Value" generic. Bottom line, all these oils are required to have certain amounts of additives in them, and they're all "good enough." Anything beyond this is just personal preference.

Lately, I've been using the Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic. 15,000 miles or 1 year between oil changes. It costs about $50 for a DIY change.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 37.28 KiB | Viewed 12884 times ]