LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:58 pm 
da LUV masta

Can anyone tell me the pain free way of synchronizing dual weber sidedrafts? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Never mix "Painfree" and "Dual Carbs"......EVER!!
:lol:

I had a friend with dual carbs on his '32 Model T roadster, i think he spent all his spare time trying to syncronize the two holleys on it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:44 pm 
Feel the Steel

Have someone else do it!!! :lol:
Sorry, had to but I dont think there is any real easy way but trial and error!

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:46 pm 
da LUV masta

thats what I was afraid off. I was going to buy a set of carb synchronizers and try that. I may just stick with my single downdraft and save up my money for a SR20 swap. I also have the stuff to swap over the EFI. I have a intake manifold off a 280Z, I just have to cut the last two cylinders off the manifold to make if fit my car, and then get a 4 cylinder ECU. I don't know, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

For some crazy reason the words BIG HAMMER keep comming to mind !!

GOTTA GET A NEW LUV!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

I know someone that's pretty good at it. Lemme ask him if he can post a quick procedure here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:21 am 
Hey Iceman, Ben said you needed some dual carb help, if you have any other questions email me and I'll see what I can do.

Let me see if I can help. I am guessing you have a pair of DCOE carbs right? If the carbs are in good shape it should be pretty painless. Most sync problems I have ever had were due to linkage problems.

Two very important steps, first off, you need to take the carbs off and set the butterfly with a feeler gauge, .003 works pretty good for this. Looking at the carb upside down, you will be checking the side that is OPENING. Adjust the butterfly to where to where the feeler gauge just slips past the butterfly and the side of the carb. This ensures the carbs are opened up exactly the same. When you are done, put the carbs back on, but don't put on the linkage.

When you are putting on the linkage, DO NOT adjust the screws to the carbs. Adjust the LINKAGE to fit the carb. Sloppy parts get thrown in the trash here, another big problem with dual carbs. If it is loose and sloppy, you will never be able to sync them right. When you finish putting the linkage on you must make sure when you move the throttle, the carbs open up at the SAME time. EXACTLY. This is where 99% of all dual carb complaints are. If they open at different rates the engine is trying to run at two different speeds. Not possible as long as your crank is one peice, on a side note, I did that once, and it sounded like a chain saw. haha. Expensive. Additionally, I move the linkage wherever the throttle hooks up, just to take into account flex of the throttle shaft, and whatever else is hooked up to it. When you get this perfect, you should be done.

An engine with two carbs will always need more attention, checking the linkage, throttle, idle jets, and making sure the valves are adusted the same, anything to make sure the motor runs smooth.

Once you learn to go duals, you'll never go back.

Brian

Last edited by wsuwrhr on Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:29 am 
What is up with the two post deal? There is no way this is my second post.
Damn I have to post once inawhile,

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:35 am 
da LUV masta

Hey Thanks Brian. I will give it a shot and let you know if I need any other help. The carbs are for my 510, and they were on it before. The guy who had the car before me took them off and put on a single weber downdraft for fuel economy and easier street driveability. They sat for a long time, so I am going to put new seals and gaskets in them. Then I am going to put them back on. I have no experience with dual carbs, I just know that I want some power out of this thing.

The carbs are 40's, and they supposedly made some pretty good power on this car.

I have heard that the off throttle response is horrible, as well as running half throttle, like driving through town. I have heard that if I make some kind of airhorns or velocity stacks for them, it will help that alot. What are your thoughts on that? Is there anything you have done in the past to help this?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Thanks to you too Ben. I appreciate the help. :D

Later,

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

alot of vw and sandrail shops sell a sync tool for the dellortos and webers pretty cheap about 25 bones. that will help with getting them dialled in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

From what Brian has told me, that sync tool is not the way to do it.

But I'm no expert.