LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:39 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

This might sound a little weird to some but its not very often I can get help from another person while working on my project. Also finding when the piston is at top dead center isn't the issue but knowing if it is on the compression stroke is. I know about using the finger over the spark plug method until it blows your finger off will tell you its on the compression stroke. The issue with that is I cant turn my motor one handed while my finger is on the hole and I cant reach the ignition switch and bump the starter with finger over the hole either.

So I am not sure if this will work or not but I was thinking about using my compression tester in a position where I can see it from the point of being able to twist the key switch and bump the starter until #1 is on the compression stroke. once I know its on the right stroke I can get it close and then manually align the damper to the timing tab which were verified to be correct.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

Use a whistle.

Get a piece of hose big enough to stick in the spark plug hole, stick a whistle in the other side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I guess I will have to dig through my sons toy box. If a whistle will work I am assuming I compression gauge should also indicate its on the compression stroke.

BTW what ever happened to all the knowledgeable people that were here 8-9 years ago. This place is like a ghost town.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It will. But a whistle is a little more convenient since you just have to listen rather than look. You can also use the starter instead of a breaker bar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Good call. I will have to go on a whistle hunt. I haven't seen one in years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:42 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Wire up a push button switch to the starter solenoid. That way you can bump the engine over and get it right where you want it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

i put a screw driver in the hole and watch it get pushed up to TDC. To know if it's the compression stroke, remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

rondog wrote:
i put a screw driver in the hole and watch it get pushed up to TDC. To know if it's the compression stroke, remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing.

Thats all fine if there is a distributor and you aren't trying to see if its 180* out. My goal was to find the compression stroke with no distributor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Then pull a rocker cover off and look at the valves. I could have found TDC in the time you have posted all of this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I didn't know you had an incomplete, non running engine here. There were no pictures to show me this.
I was trying to save you from having to take the valve cover off, but seems that might be the best way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Luvrv8 wrote:
Then pull a rocker cover off and look at the valves. I could have found TDC in the time you have posted all of this.

I had already found it before I posted this. I was just thinking about if what I had originally posted would work or not. What's your deal why do you have to be such a dick anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

Because of your replies to others. Look at them from this thread and the I want pictures of your headers. Do your own homework, then ask for pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:35 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

You are right sorry for asking at place that's here for people that share a common interest to share information. May the people who have all the information keep it secret. This used to be a good place with good people who like to share there information and help others. Next time I would like to compare what I have to others or ask a question I will deal with it on my own. I'm sorry the few remaining people here are too good for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

75 V8LUV wrote:
Thats all fine if there is a distributor and you aren't trying to see if its 180* out. My goal was to find the compression stroke with no distributor.

75 V8LUV wrote:
when if someone could post a couple of decent pictures of how these parts fit in the truck so I can say oh shit look at that a glass eye in a ducks ass could tell there is no way in hell those factory made off the shelf parts will fit.

Just my .02. The internet is is hard to discern the intent of what is posted at times, but both of the above statements that Luvr8 referenced come across as rude. Both the people who posted prior to these replies did not know what you were working with. While I won't speak for everyone here, I will say after reading the first quote I did not want to take a lot of pics, host them somewhere, then post them here. Also why I didn't attempt to assist in the thread here, which you dinged Rondog on when he was trying to help. I also think Luvr8's first reply here was on the same level as the ones quoted above. If his offended you, you may see why some took exception to yours...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:26 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Quote:
Just my .02. The internet is is hard to discern the intent of what is posted at times, but both of the above statements that Luvr8 referenced come across as rude.

Not trying to be rude at all and I get accused of it at home all the time. Its just the way I talk and word things sometimes. I am sorry if you think I am rude as my intentions are good. I know I am not liked here anymore so I will delete my account here and will not come back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:48 am 
Feel the Steel

:roll: :lol:

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I stand by my post, wire in a remote switch then you can hold your finger over the hole all by yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

frige wrote:
I stand by my post, wire in a remote switch then you can hold your finger over the hole all by yourself.

This is normal procedure for a lot of mechanics, I know, it's hard to believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
frige wrote:

This is normal procedure for a lot of mechanics, I know, it's hard to believe.

The buddy I pit crew for has a button permanently installed in the fire wall on each side of the car. Extreme for a street vehicle maybe, but really nice to have on a race car.