LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

So my dailey commuter is a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer. I bought the car a year old in 2010. Even though I waxed my car twice a year, in the last 4 months the clear coat on the roof is started to peel, and now also on the tops of the doors. I called main office to see if they had any recalls, but they are none for the paint . The warranty does cover the paint up to 5 years or 60K miles. Mines got over 100K, so that's out of the picture.

So would a paint shop just remove the clear coat and paint over the existing paint, or do they paint the base layer and clear coast?
What's ball park for cost go?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Sometimes the clear coat can be sanded off and new clear coat applied. The color is normally just in the base coat on factory paint. The shine, UV protection is the clear coat. It you plan to keep the car for several more years, it might be worth the cost. The clear coat must be removed. The only way I know is to sand the clear to remove it. If they do not sand through the base I think that would be ok.

My 95 Chevy 3/4 ton truck I have let go too long on the roof. I have rust on the roof where the base is no longer there. The hood and fender tops the clear coat is gone. I have not checked into the cost to fix it. It has 315K miles and somewhat rough as it has been used as a work truck. I need to fix the a/c, rebuild the front end and other things. It has pulled a large gooseneck trailer at least 1/2 the time.

Cost depends on where you live. This time of year I think could be a slow time of year. When I turned wrenches at dealerships, this is a very slow time of year. Money is being spent on a lot of other things. This will continue past the first of the year and longer. You may be able to get a deal if you work at it.

I am no longer in the auto buizz. Luver8 still is in the business work at dealerships I think. He is in California. You may be able to find a painter that does work on the side but check with people he has done work for. He should not have a problem giving you some names of people who he has done side work on. He is the generic term, could be a she too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:19 am 
Addicted to LUV

Hey Papa G,

Thanks for the info. I may start with just some quotes from local shopes, just to see what they charge. Hopefully they can just sand the clear coast off and not have to redo the base.

I'll message Luver8 and see if he/she can help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Luver8 is a guy. The he/she was about a painter. I do not know any women painters, but I am sure there are some. lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

I checked with him, they don't do that at his shop. I did have a shop that did just my bumper from a small accident. However it was taken care of a few weeks after it happend, and the peeling has been going on for over 4 months. Plus the shop I had it done at, no longer is there. D'oh!

I'm going to ask my local shops though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I just sent this to you in a PM. When fixing a scratch you would sound out the scratch, apply base and then re clear the complete panal unles you know how to burn in clear. Peeling clear is down to the base, you can not sand the base then clear and have it look right.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the info. Its good to know an idea of what labor is beign involved.

"When all else fails, follow the directions".