LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm 

Alright so I'm building a 350 for my LUV. The engine i aquired is from a 1991 GMC, just a plain old 350 TBI. I'm converting over to a carburator setup and I'm starting to see that these 87-95 engines are a bit devoid of parts. Its my understanding that there were some minor changes made to the heads that makes the 86 and prior intakes not fit, but are the 96+ the same story. Also curious about header fitment for these as well. I've never really dealt with later model small blocks so im kind of lost on this one. Any help is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i don't have a smallblock but I have a 4.3 :lol:
in 86 the changed to roller lifters and a one piece rear main seal etc
in 96 they changed to the vortec heads so intake ports changed size, different manifold bolt locations and number of bolts.. etc... totally different setup you can put the 96 heads on a pre 96 block with the right intake I did that on my 4.3 with a 91 block and 97 heads with an edelbrock intake

header fitment is going to be difficult there are very few that will fit and clear, only ones I have heard of are the block hugger type and the oe rams horn type info about both can be found on the site if you search

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Not all one piece rear seal blocks are equipped for the factory rollers, and some will not accept them. The earlier intakes will fit your existing heads if you slot the center 2 holes on each side of the intake. Plenty of you tube videos to glean for that. The plugs on the vortec heads in the center are moved somewhat. My project truck I am working on now had a set of headers on a 80's 305, but I had to move the center tubes on the driver side when I put the same headers on a set of vortec heads on the current engine...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 pm 

Thanks for the advise guys. After a little research on my engine i discovered that the heads on that particular engine are worthless for building with haha. So Im most likely going to upgrade to the vortec heads, which will increase my options a lot.