LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: AT HOME FRAME PULL???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 am 

anybody ever successfully pulled their own frame? local shop wont take the job because they arent confident itll pull back true. also the shops in my area are really bad about only wanting big money jobs so i think i wanna give it a try myself. its a 92 GMC Sonoma GT. i have an extra frame but would like to keep the original because they only made 806 of these trucks and want to keep all the vin #s matching. my frame is true from the front horns til dead center of the cab where it has a pretty bad kink then its true again from the start of the bed to the rear bumper mounts. my truck sits almost 3 inches higher on one side because of this. i have nothing to lose so if i bend it the other direction or hurt it some other way im not worried about it. looking for any advice or old school techniques.

Attachments:
File comment: i have put a different bed on it it but you can tell the direction and force of impact from this photo
IMAG1682.jpg
IMAG1682.jpg [ 753.67 KiB | Viewed 15361 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:25 am 

The only way to do this right is to take the whole thing apart.

Make a cheap chassis jig. I have made them with unistrut.
You can use the extra frame and create reference points.
This will require heat, leverage and clamps.
It can be done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:46 pm 

i like the way you think!!! i get so tired of hearing its gonna be "hard". i guess my idea of hard is quite a bit different than others cause just about every "hard" thing ive done was better described as "time consuming" and those people are described as "lazy". 90% mental 10% physical i always say.

i need to put another rear cab skin cause the current one is beyond repair, body mount bushings, and a crap ton of other small "time consuming" things on it. itd be easier with everything off anyways. right now all of my major projects are on hold cause i am in the process of moving back to east TEXAS. good news is that ive already rented a 6000 sq ft shop with a built in apartment there in Greenville so i will have all the space i need to work on my personal projects INDOORS!!!!!!!!!!

another thing tell me about this unistrut you spreak of.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:07 pm 

Take a look here
https://www.google.com/search?q=unistru ... 20&bih=971
You can get it in all kinds of dimensions, Make stand off's, They sell feet and even rollers for the frame..
Best thing is it bolts together then.. When your done.. Stack it in the corner for use at a later date.

Here is a simple one I made from scrap.
http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthrea ... 044&page=2
http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthrea ... 044&page=6
http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthrea ... 044&page=7
http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthrea ... 044&page=8

Don't let them tell you it can't be done.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I would never use heat to pull a frame. You will change the temper of the metal. With all the body shops I work with I have never seen heat used.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:57 am 

A small amount of heat is perfectly fine. Especially with a torch. I'm not talking turning it to molten steel.
Put on a little heat, manipulate and let it cool down naturally. Your risk is higher making a heavy pass with a welder than a little heat from a torch.
There is no real "Temper" in these chassis.. Not like your thinking. If there were. They would shatter.
A chassis is designed to flex.

A "cold" pull can sometime be the worst thing you could do. When you make a cold pull the metal that is bending becomes hot from the friction.
The surrounding area is not normalized because it happens so fast. This can create a fracture that you wont see.
That is until you put a load on it later. By then.. Its just too late.

I know I'm a new guy here and I'm not here to argue.
There are a bunch of s10 guys running my products who can vouch for that.
I do know chassis and I do know steel. Most importantly, I would never tell anyone to do something that would put their life on the line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am 

i thought that might be the case for cold pulls cause one of the shops said theyve pulled them in half before the kink would let go. i generally go by the moto "if you want it done right do it yourself" but ive never even seen a frame pulled in person so ill be winging it and going off SOLID advise like yours. someone whose done it and properly understands the mechanics and what it takes to make it happen. ill keep you posted and may have to refer back to you if that cool.

saw all the work into the purple truck. are you a machinist or do you just have alot of tools for your personal projects?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm 

Sure.. Fire away. If I can answer honestly you can bet I will.
Some of the guys here know me from the other site. They know I would not steer anyone in the wrong direction.

I'm an Electrician by trade but, I have been fabricating and machining my whole life. (Well, back to when I used to break my BMX frames jumping and had no one to help fix them)
I'm 45 now so, I have a little experience.
The drive to build and fabricate on my own is why I have so many tools.
I have a machine shop next to my warehouse/shop.. They come over to use my tools all the time.. lol

Anyway.. If I can help I will. No problem at all.
Thats what we are all here for right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have seen it done properly many times. The computer knows the correct measurements, the frame is pulled cold over a long period time, not big yanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 pm 

Well, There you go.
It works both ways. So, Its a matter of preference then.
I've done it my way plenty of times.
You've seen it done plenty of times.
One method takes time and attention to detail.
The other uses a computer with some presets.

I would like to see the computer controlled units you speak of..
All the ones I have seen.. (Quite a few) use a ratchet effect to shock the frame.
I can say I have ever seen one that used a straight on "brute force" pull.. Especially over a slow period of time.
That would be murder on a motor.
I have friends that work at all the major dealerships (Chevy,Ford and Dodge) and a couple that own collision repair shops.
All of them are ratchet type. "Hydraulic bumps if you will".

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:38 am 

:popcorn:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I can't find the exact model used at my friends shop but similar to this. Again, do it your way but to be certified by all major manufactures you will need a machines similar to this.

http://193.44.3.121/se/car-o-club/boi/pdf/428.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have pulled a few frames...ok more than a few. Anchors in the floor and cold pulls has always been my way. No Jerking or shocking and always going slow. With that said I am sure "some" heat would be fine as I have also cut out complete sections and welded in new pieces I have fabricated myself back in place without problems. The main issue here is if you use heat do not over do it. If you have the ability I would try cold and slow first. That's my two Lincolns. Good luck.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:23 pm 

I think we are getting off the subject here.
The thread reads "At Home Frame Pull".
It has nothing to do with any certifications.

With your limited knowledge in metals, your the last one to be judging anyone's skill set.
(Yes, I went through and read all your post Karl... Here and other sites. You should be well over 100 years old with all your experience and everything you have done!)
Myself.. I'm not buying it.
As a matter of fact, from this point on I will treat any advice you have as second hand.. Something you read.
Others should do the same. Its possible you have some "nut huggers" convinced.. Not me.

As an administrator on quite a few boards, I usually do a little digging before I accept people for membership.
It's my preference.. I don't think members should have to put up with e-bullies and know-it-all's.
You my friend fall into a couple of different categories.

You have the guys who think they know everything but only really know what they have read. Check!
You have the guys who use Google to answer all questions but spew out the answers as if it just rolled off their tongue because they have done it so many times. Check!
You have your basic trolls. Check!
You have the "old timers" that have been members for so long.. They just naturally have a sense of entitlement.. "Look at my post count! How dare you question me?" Check!
You have the guys who go out of their way to help and give complements. Check!

Karl, You could be friend or foe?
At this point, from everything I have read. Sometimes your helpful, sometimes your just an ass. I could sway ether way. I'm a forgiving guy.
You definitely have not accomplished everything I have read on this site. Nor your cardomain account.
Please read Dunning–Kruger effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
To me, you are transparent.

Very rarely do I get irritated. The things I have read and the way you treat people is uncalled for.
Reading between the lines. Somebody is living a lie.

Just be honest, Do the best you can and treat people the way you want to be treated.
It's not that bad.

I hope you can change but, The odds are against you.
Your 1 year younger than I am and I know.. Old habits are hard to break.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm 

Dog trainer wrote:
I have pulled a few frames...ok more than a few. Anchors in the floor and cold pulls has always been my way. No Jerking or shocking and always going slow. With that said I am sure "some" heat would be fine as I have also cut out complete sections and welded in new pieces I have fabricated myself back in place without problems. The main issue here is if you use heat do not over do it. If you have the ability I would try cold and slow first. That's my two Lincolns. Good luck.

Excellent reply!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Diabolical wrote:
I think we are getting off the subject here.
The thread reads "At Home Frame Pull".
It has nothing to do with any certifications.

With your limited knowledge in metals, your the last one to be judging anyone's skill set.
(Yes, I went through and read all your post Karl... Here and other sites. You should be well over 100 years old with all your experience and everything you have done!)
Myself.. I'm not buying it.
As a matter of fact, from this point on I will treat any advice you have as second hand.. Something you read.
Others should do the same. Its possible you have some "nut huggers" convinced.. Not me.

As an administrator on quite a few boards, I usually do a little digging before I accept people for membership.
It's my preference.. I don't think members should have to put up with e-bullies and know-it-all's.
You my friend fall into a couple of different categories.

You have the guys who think they know everything but only really know what they have read. Check!
You have the guys who use Google to answer all questions but spew out the answers as if it just rolled off their tongue because they have done it so many times. Check!
You have your basic trolls. Check!
You have the "old timers" that have been members for so long.. They just naturally have a sense of entitlement.. "Look at my post count! How dare you question me?" Check!
You have the guys who go out of their way to help and give complements. Check!

Karl, You could be friend or foe?
At this point, from everything I have read. Sometimes your helpful, sometimes your just an ass. I could sway ether way. I'm a forgiving guy.
You definitely have not accomplished everything I have read on this site. Nor your cardomain account.
Please read Dunning–Kruger effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
To me, you are transparent.

Very rarely do I get irritated. The things I have read and the way you treat people is uncalled for.
Reading between the lines. Somebody is living a lie.

Just be honest, Do the best you can and treat people the way you want to be treated.
It's not that bad.

I hope you can change but, The odds are against you.
Your 1 year younger than I am and I know.. Old habits are hard to break.

Mike

I don't need to prove shit to you. Some have meet me in person and know what is real.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:54 pm 

But, did they actually watch you do any work or did you just show them your truck?

Like I said.. It could go ether way.. I really don't care.
I would prefer to be friendly with you but, I wont tolerate BS.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Again, I don't need to prove anything to you, like I said some have been to my house and know the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:09 pm 
Feel the Steel

Diabolical wrote:
I know I'm a new guy here and I'm not here to argue.

So far you are the one here that started doing this, Luvr8 has posted nothing but positive help on this topic, if you disagree with it, that's fine and state your case but your calling him out with your "limited knowledge"e post is unacceptable. Lets get back on topic please.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm 

The "Limited Knowledge" is factual based off his reply.
You don't have to like it. Just like I don't like someone giving false info to people.
Because I'm a new guy here.. Am I expected to accept it? That cant really be the rules?

I AM NOT here to stir up anything. I think I have been pretty helpful.
Don't expect me to tolerate a bullshitter because I'm new.
I wouldn't expect it on my forums.

Mike