LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Head casting #'s for 350
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 am 
O.K. Not sure about the head casting numbers on my 350. I went and had the engine dyno tested and the h.p. rating is 390. If i change the heads.....what should i change to for a bit more h.p.??This is the # i have now. 462624.....75-86...350/400......76cc chamber, 2.02/1.6 valves......any thoughts would be cool 8) Thanks....... :idea:
I have also had people tell me that these heads are crack prone. Is it because of the castings? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:29 am 
Japanese Redneck

I have never run those before but i do know you should stay away from 882 castings. I have cracked at least 2-3 of those heads. Port design is like crap on those heads too

Everybody seems to like the late model Vortec heads and say they make more HP than camel humps do. However I believe they require a different intake manifold or require you to modify your standard SBC manifold.

my favorite GM cylinder heads in order would be:
292 Turbo (rare)
461X
993 (these are Hecho in Mexico and are very heavy duty casting)
all of these heads with the exception of the 993's and 041's will have a smaller combustion chamber and bump your compression up quite a lot. For example, with a 76cc head if you have 9.5:1 and swap to a 64cc head it will bump it up to about 11:1

I would get a set of one of the heads listed above and have them bowl blended and put a good multi angle valve job on it. OR
go out and hunt arond for a good used set of Dart iron heads. you can get a set complete (may need a valve job and springs) for about the same price as rebuilding a set of Factory heads, PLUS they come with screw in studs, stainless valves and guide plates and flow about 200cc right out of the box. I have bought 2 sets of Dart heads in the past, used but ready to run for $450-500/ pair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:33 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

yep he is right the Vortec heads make a lot of power but you do have to get a intake for them. Edlebrock is making a rpm air gap for the vortecs. we dynoed 2 engines this week with the vortec heads and rpm air gap intakes. the heads and intakes were the only changes made to these 2 over the last time we built and dynoed them. they made right at 115 hp more this time. the 1 st one has no port work and made 510 hp the second has a small pocket porting done and made 527 hp. I think that is a great deal when running on a dirt track. Plus they are not that expensive even ordering them new .

GOTTA GET A NEW LUV!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:45 am 
Cool 8) Thanks for the info :) . I have a edelbrock performerrpm intake on the engine now. What intake would be best for the vorteck heads ? Spanky , thats a big improvement in h.p. WOW...Do those heads have stainless valves? Dirt tracker ...cool....stock cars ? You running a borg warner T-10 tranny? LUVSADRAG , you have anymore info on the 461X's....?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

i have 2 sets of the 041 one on my truck the other in storage both were ccd out to 68cc combustion chambers. the chambers look like the 461 but i think there a little deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:53 am 
Japanese Redneck

461x heads are "camel hump" heads. They are 64cc chambers, originally off of mid production 327 motors. they came with 1.94/1.50 or 2.02/1.60 valves. they are pretty heavy duty casting. have never cracked one before. you can safely port these heads to about 170-190cc on the intake but thats is where most aftermarket heads start off though. you can also deck the chambers down to 58cc without having to "spot face" the intake manifold. I dont really have much more info on them than that. I just know that they are good heads and I have put them on a LOT of motors. probably the most out of any of those other casting numbers I listed. hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:50 pm 
The 462624 heads came stock on a 80 vette.....but i have heard that they are crack prone...I just need a strong head to run at least 410 to 425 hp.the 461X sounds good ....but what about tru-porting..?2.02/1.60 valves are what im running now.....so basicly they are the same head.......but just a stronger casting..? I have a rpm edelbrock intake now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:35 pm 
Japanese Redneck

The port design on the early 80's heads were also poor. flow is bad and the port design also contributes to their weakness. you will not be disappointed with any of the heads that I listed. all are good casting and are tried and true for years in the world of hi po chevy engines. the 993 is a very heavy duty casting. However, these days... as much as you spend on rebuilding a set of factory heads, you can get some iron Darts for a pretty good price and they require no porting, already have screw in studs and guide plates and are a good casting and port design for sure.. just some food for thought but its getting hard to justify rebuilding/tricking out a set of factory heads with the decent price of aftermarkets these days.

I had a local shop do up a set of 461 (non x) heads for a friends 350 motor. They did a full port job and opened the intake runners up to 170cc. blended the bowls, deshrouded the valves. put a 7 angle valve job on it, basically did them up real nice. put them on a mild short block with a solid half inch lift cam and 11:1, 780CFM carb. that put a 64 nova in the high 11's with no traction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:53 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hey LUVSADRAG, do you know what heads came on a Stock '66 Chevy Pickup with a 283 SBC?? My LUV truck isn't here and i would like to know what kind of heads the engine has.....Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:56 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hey LUVSADRAG, do you know what heads came on a Stock '66 Chevy Pickup with a 283 SBC?? My LUV truck isn't here and i would like to know what kind of heads the engine has.....Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:38 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Its hard to say... there were a few different castings on that motor. this is a good site to ID chevy casting numbers
http://www.mortec.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

by the time you get a set of heads done right mag,milled,good valves etc. you would be better off buying a set of sportsmans 2s or something similar. they flow better they have thicker decks and you can get them in the combustion chamber size of your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:47 am 
Japanese Redneck

exactly