LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 76 Small Block Starter
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 am 

For the last year I have to jump the starter with a screwdriver. I replaced it, the positive cable and battery. It worked for about 5 starts and did it again. I noticed when I replaced it that the ground wire that connects to the starter was 1/2 missing. Thinking there may be a short somewhere or an igition issue. Has anybody had this same problem? If so how was it fixed?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am 

What do you mean (specifically) when u say, "1/2 the ground wire was missing"? Are you saying that half the INSULATION on the ground wire is missing? I'm no mechanic, and I know enough to say, if that's what you observed, you have a SERIOUS short on the starting side of your electrical system.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:43 pm 

Post a photo of what your talking about...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:09 am 

Starter should have two wires, correct? A big one and a small one. Small one goes to the starter solenoid "S" terminal and when the key is turned kicks out the bendix to the flywheel, which is what makes the clicking noise when you have a low battery. Big cable goes to fat stud on the starter solenoid which powers the motor. The starter grounds through the engine block where it is bolted. Pics would be great so we could see what yer talking about, unless you figured it out, in which case just ignore me :)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:27 pm 

This is not a ground or a short problem. It sounds like you have either and intermittent open ignition switch to starter circuit or an ignition switch to starter circuit with high voltage drop (high resistance). You need to check the voltage to the small wire while holding the key to the start position, you'll need a couple of people to help with this.

If this was a ground issue (never seen a starter with a direct ground cable) the starter would not work when you "jump" it with a screwdriver.

A "short" is a term used for when the current finds a shorter path to ground, bypassing the load. In this case the load would be the starter, but the side effect of a short is usually a popped fuse if your lucky. If you are not luck smoke and/or fire would be next.

You didn't specify what vehicle you are working with other than we know you have a small block, so we are left to assume a few thing. We will assume this is a sbc swapped LUV, maybe a '76?

More info and pics would help.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

There is a number of potential problem spots. It's obvious that the starter / solenoid is OK.
Is this a cold or hot problem or both?
When everything is hot it requires a larger amount of current and the wires or various switches could have too much resistance for it to pass.
As stated somewhere else on here, if you have volt meter check the voltage. With a fully charged battery you should have 12+ volts on the S terminal when the key is turned, it will drop to approx 9 volts if the starter engages.
If it's an automatic if you run the gear selector back and forth P _ L does that sometimes help it start.
If its a standard, does it have the clutch interlock switch under the dash. You can temporarily bypass this to test.
Pull the connector on the back of the ignition switch, how do the terminals look. Clean or replace.
A temp fix would be to run a #14 wire from the s teminal to a N.O push button switch and then from the switch to positive on the bat. With the hood requiring to be opened from the inside this will not cause a problem with an unauthorise borrowng of the vehicle.

If it is a hot start problem then run the stock start wire to the s terminal of ford type firewall mounted solenoid. Then run a #14 wire from one side, big terminals to the s connection on the starter. Lastly run a #12 wire from the other large terminal to a good +12 V connection. This is actually the fix that GM used for a few years on their trucks that ceveloped a hot start problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:19 am 

I love it when a dork (That would be ME) attempts to assist, and people who know MUCH more than I offer some excellent solutions to the challenge!

Thanks Gentlemen.

MOTT...Are U Listening?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 am 

It happens on both hot and cold starts...both suck pretty bad