LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Headlamp swap~
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Has anyone swapped out the outdated and dim headlamps that came on these beast's~ like an HID/LED set up? eBay is showing a lot of 7" HID/LED's under a Chevy luv search but for different makes/models in their descriptions. Wondering if there is anything special needed to run HID/LED lights? thanks all~

Example~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-ROUND-H6024-DIAMOND-CRYSTAL-HOUSING-LED-HEADLIGHT-/270874211794?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ALUV&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f115c75d2#ht_7907wt_1297

Post subject: Re: Headlamp swap~
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:30 am 
da LUV masta

Something like that will work, but the problem with a lot of the ebay stuff is it is really cheap quality. If you look closely at the pics in the link you posted, you can see that 3 of the LEDs aren't lit up. So even the one they used for their ad was already bad. Those still use a regular light bulb, but have a LED ring around the outer part that will probably have to be wired up separately. They usually only come on with park lights. LEDs don't project very far. So chances are, you'll look cool driving down the street, but won't really have any better visibility while driving.

As for HID, thats a whole different ball game. Stay away from the HID conversion kits that aren't really HID. Usually they're selling a colored bulb like you can by the hyper whites or ones with a purple hue at autozone, and calling them HID. Real HID (High Intensity Discharge) makes light by arching across two tungsten contacts inside a gas tube. It requires a bit of voltage to make this happen, so every real HID kit will have ballasts in the kit. If you see one that doesn't come with some sore of wiring harness that includes ballasts, its not real HID. You can definitely convert an older vehicle over, you just have to pay a little extra for the real deal.

Basically with ebay it comes down to getting what you paid for. I bought a set of "projector" headlights for my car off ebay one time and they fogged up the day I installed them and washed my car. i was able to send them back for a refund, but they were shitty quality.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:04 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks Iceman, the info is much appreciated.

http://www.customhid.com/CHEVROLET-HID-Kit/LUV/1980

I found these but I don't see the housing.

80 only had 2 headlights, I have a '76 w/ 4 headlights. Would I get 1 set of highs and 1 set of low's, or 2 set of low's...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I was looking at the ricer shelf at Pep Boys the other day and saw many headlamp bulbs ( for the newer vehicles) that were fake HID's. The package read "HID blue color". And "DOT approved". But they were bulbs only with no ballast box. :roll:

I have installed the best most expensive regular bulbs for a few vehicles and really like them over the cheaper ones. You know, I think it's the Sylvania headlamps, and there are standard, a little better, and the best. The best is worth the $30 they cost.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I was doing some research a few months ago and the HID kits on this site came highly recommended: http://www.ddmtuning.com/. There are tons of 7" h4 projector housings on ebay they would work with. This link will help for a clean/reliable install: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2632686. It's something I'd like to do some day, but it's low priority.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks all for your info~

I have done a lil research myself today an after talking to a rep from http://www.customhid.com, I think I know what one needs to do a HID headlamp swap.

1st~ http://www.customhid.com/CHEVROLET-HID-Kit/LUV/1980

2nd~http://www.racinglab.com/sealed-beam-c03035.html

The rep told me I would need the sealed beam headlight w/ removable bulb (#2)
NOTE** I have a 76 luv with 4 headlamps, which measure @ 5.75", later model Luv's with 2 headlamps measure @ 7"? (don't quote me, I have not measured a later model Luvs headlamps)

Kinda pricy, especially if you have to buy 2 sets of each, but I'm willing to bet worth every penny. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about upgrading there headlamps.

I will be placing my order for these as soon as my wife lets me~

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You may want to consider upgrading the alternator while you are at it...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

You mean to tell me the stock alt doesn't put out enough juice...? Lol, you bring up a good point~ I didn't think of it but now that you mention it...

I have a new alt, but it's a stock alt. I was wanting to do the 3wire swap origionaly, but i needed a daily driver. As far as the 1wire goes..., I have read mixed pros and cons and personally will go with the 3wire when I do upgrade the charging system.

Thanks for all the input and info~