LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Head Gasket Please Help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:30 am 

I got the head off my buddy's 93 2.6l isuzu pickup this evening and found one bad spot in between the number 3 and number 4 cylinder (see pic below). Any input on this would be helpful, every head gasket I have done in the past the gasket gave out on the outside. When we pulled the plugs, plug #1 was white and crusty like it was burning antifreeze and the others looked fine. Also the pistons have some wear on them (see pic number 2 below) and the valves looked to be inprinted on them like they have been hitting the piston for a while which is no good. What could cause this the valve hitting the piston? A thin head gasket or a previously milled head that had too much milled off? Any input on these matters would be much appreciated. Also, there is a spot on the head that has some pits in it. Considering all the above info, I am thinking that we are going to have to find another head.........

Attachment:
head gasket.JPG
head gasket.JPG [ 126.66 KiB | Viewed 2770 times ]
Attachment:
piston.JPG
piston.JPG [ 121.5 KiB | Viewed 2770 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 am 
da LUV masta

In my experiences, I have seen head gaskets blow out in between cylinders like that. They don't always blow to the outside. So that doesn't really indicate that anything is necessarily wrong. Second, I don't really see in the pics where the valves have been hitting the pistons. I have had engines where the valves have hit the pistons due to things like timing belts breaking, improperly adjusted valves, etc. In both cases, the valves bend very, very easy. So if the valves are coming in contact with the pistons at all, chances are they are damaged and are not going to seat in the head properly. They may or may not be visibly bent. They may look fine, but be bent just enough to not seat properly. Have a machine shop check the head for any problems like bent valves, or warping. If the head is good to go, then your valves are probably not hitting the pistons. I have never seen an instance in any engine where the valves could hit the pistons without immediately damaging the valves and making the engine inoperable. The pistons would also have pretty noticeable damage. I don't see in the pic where the valves are hitting. I just see the relief cuts in the piston that are supposed to be there.

How this helped you out. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

are you talking about the two impressions on the left side of the picture of the piston? that's normal. your pistons are designed that way. not all pistons are designed or cast the same. the regular 1.8 luv engine has just a circular dimple while some chevy and ford pistons are flat. i know that some honda (most) pistons have the same impressions due to the design of the engine. it's called and interference engine design. thats why whenever you blow a timing belt or chain, it is so crucial to make sure none of the valves are bent or damaged in any way.