LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1987 GMC S-15
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I scored on a old S-15, it has a V-6 that has been rebuilt when the guy put it in he smashed the transmission seal on the input shaft. Looks to me the best way to get at it is to yank the motor. My question is this. This thing has been sitting for about 4 years because it spewed tranny oil when started. So what do you suggest I do to get the old girl back on the road, with out doing any further damage to it sitting so long? Mace

Post subject: Re: 1987 GMC S-15
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

Mace wrote:
I scored on a old S-15, it has a V-6 that has been rebuilt when the guy put it in he smashed the transmission seal on the input shaft. Looks to me the best way to get at it is to yank the motor. My question is this. This thing has been sitting for about 4 years because it spewed tranny oil when started. So what do you suggest I do to get the old girl back on the road, with out doing any further damage to it sitting so long? Mace

i would run new fluids, draining the tank wouldnt be a bad thought.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

Post subject: 1987 GMC S-15
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Mace wrote:
This thing has been sitting for about 4 years because it spewed tranny oil when started. So what do you suggest I do to get the old girl back on the road, with out doing any further damage to it sitting so long? Mace

are you saying it spewed tranny fluid BECAUSE it's been sitting for 4 years? like all car basics, the best thing to do is make sure to run all new fluids in the engine, tranny, differential(s), cooling, brake, etc.

a bottle of seafoam in the tank with some higher octane gas won't hurt, and will clean the CRAP out of the fuel system. Same with the oil (only pour about a third of the bottle in the crankcase) use a QUALITY oil filter like a Wix filter. Change fuel filter and air as well. Spark plugs, and wires should be in the works as well.

don't skimp on quality. get stuff with lifetime warranty on it. especially if you intend to keep the truck for any given amount of time. I recommend using Valvoline oil. ( i am philosophically opposed to using Castrol. it's a BP product)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

Figuarus wrote:
Mace wrote:
This thing has been sitting for about 4 years because it spewed tranny oil when started. So what do you suggest I do to get the old girl back on the road, with out doing any further damage to it sitting so long? Mace

are you saying it spewed tranny fluid BECAUSE it's been sitting for 4 years? like all car basics, the best thing to do is make sure to run all new fluids in the engine, tranny, differential(s), cooling, brake, etc.

a bottle of seafoam in the tank with some higher octane gas won't hurt, and will clean the CRAP out of the fuel system. Same with the oil (only pour about a third of the bottle in the crankcase) use a QUALITY oil filter like a Wix filter. Change fuel filter and air as well. Spark plugs, and wires should be in the works as well.

:signiagree
check the fluid level in the diff as well while your at it. you cant be "too careful" with used vehicles before you take them out :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

Sentence before the one that is being quoted in the original post stated the front seal was fubar'ed at installation...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Well thanks for the tip's haven't gotten over to pick it up yet weather has been a bitch. Single digits temps, and wind blowing 40+ MPH. typical Wyoming weather. Not familiar with "sea foam" product, will check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Mace wrote:
Well thanks for the tip's haven't gotten over to pick it up yet weather has been a bitch. Single digits temps, and wind blowing 40+ MPH. typical Wyoming weather. Not familiar with "sea foam" product, will check it out.

seafoam is sold at the (schucks,checker, napa, etc) and probably most other auto sales places, its basically an internal engine cleaner. it will make your exhaust smoke like no other for a bit while it burns off all of the garbage and deposits from your engine. but once it runs through that engine will be clean as new inside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yes, many many people with smaller cars swear by it, and in my experiece, it has cleaned the CRAP out of the engines ive used it in.

ideally, you wan to run it in your oil at least 100 miles before your oil change, run it in your gas tank with minimum 89 octane gas, and down your brake booster line to clean the crud off the intake and exhaust valves. When you pour it in that line, use a funnel and pour slowly. use only 1/2 to 1/3 of the can and have someone rev the engine to keep it running. It WILL smoke like nothing else, but you just can't argue with the results.

i used some in my last motorcycle to clean the crankcase (had brown aluminum. you know what i'm talking about) i ran about 1/4 of the can in the oil for about 300 miles (almost one tank of gas) drained all the oil with the engine warm and installed a K& N oil filter.

1,000 miles later, my oil and casing was STILL clean! :ebiggrin