LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

anyone who has race experience have an opinion on the best material to make a complete frame chassis out of. (strength, cost and weight being factors)
tube steel - square steel, chromoly, aluminum?
thinking over the next couple years i want to piece together a completely one-off mid-engine road car. i need a good project and i figure nothing is more of a "project" than a complete design and build from the ground up.
any input on any aspect is welcome. im planning on going modified V8 anywhere up to a V12. 5+ speed as many gears as i can afford to cram in. maybe 6 speed with o/d or 7 speed? im plan on setting it up to top out at well over 150 the faster i can get it to go the better

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Tube steel is probably the cheapest route. Easy to repair and fairly easy to fabricate with the right tools. Chromemoly is stronger and lighter but has to be TIGed. Guess it just depends on the tools you have or have access to...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luvit80 wrote:
Tube steel is probably the cheapest route. Easy to repair and fairly easy to fabricate with the right tools. Chromemoly is stronger and lighter but has to be TIGed. Guess it just depends on the tools you have or have access to...

any preference or advantage between round and square tubing? i figure the square cant really be bent as well but it would seem like it would be good for areas that are straight or cut to use at 45 degree angles :?:

i have access to pretty much any tools i need but i would prefer to keep it relatively cheap so i think im gonna have to go with tube steel. at least for my first go at it. maybe i can make a second version with better materials once i have a good design built and functioning so i dont waste the extra money on something im gonna screw up :lol:

once i get this whole project started i will have to post a thread on it and let everyone know how its coming along lol gonna be a bit of a wait tho

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Well then the most common thing is 2x3 tubing for the frame and round tubing for the cage...