LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dex-cool in a toyota
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:18 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Checked the wifes 97 toyotas anti-freeze good to -10 not realy good enough for where we live. Got a receipt from the previous owner(same town) and the mechanic put dex-cool in it. What do all of you think?

Post subject: Re: Dex-cool in a toyota
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:16 pm 
da LUV masta

You could drain some and add more 100% dex cool to protect down to a lower temperature. Otherwise if you flush it out well enough you could switch to standard coolant. Dex cool is supposed to be long life, but if there's air in the system it goes south, no reason to use it if the vehicle doesn't specify and I think only GM specified it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:signiagree GM is the only one i know of that uses dexcool. mostly all imports use the green stuff. if you walk into any auto parts stores, they should carry prestone and that can be mixed with any color, any make any model. .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm 
da LUV masta

I think eln is right about Dexcool and air in the system. You want a good, tight system with no leaks. Also it may not mix well with other stuff. If you trust the mechanic to have flushed the last of anything else out, you might stick with the Dex Cool. Who does the maintanence on it? If you trust it to Iffy Lubes, don't chance them topping up the Dex cool with who knows what. I think a lot of the bad name Dex Cool has are people neglecting leaks and mixing it with other stuff. I don't care what Prestone says, I wouldn't mix any of their stuff with Dex Cool.

Nobody has touched my 77 Luv since it was new but me. It has had nothing in it but Prestone Low Tox for years. My 02 Cavalier came with Dex Cool in it. I ran it about 5 years and carefully flushed it out and went with Low Tox in it too. Both are due for a change now, but I am having trouble finding the Low tox. I may go with Sierra from NAPA.

I am a strong believer in picking one product and sticking with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks guys, thats kind of what I was thinking too. Went to the Toyota dealership and bought oem Toyota red anti-freeze flushed it without the thermostat with the garden hose. Then ran four gallons of distilled water through it without thermostat but with the therm. housing on. Run engine, let cool, drain. etc. etc. etc. etc. Good to 40 below now. 27.00 dollars a gallon for the oem Toyota anti-freeze. I guess a dollar a month is the positive way to look at it. Again Thanks.