LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

well, basically, i'm going to be getting a small trailer that i can use to haul scrap to the recycling center.

but, i dont have a plug for trailer lights just yet.

SO, does anyone have some kind of diagram i can use to wire a trailer light plug in?

many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

A trailer on a LUV presents a little challenge because the brake lights are separate from the turn signals. Most trailers have the brake/turn lights combined.

You'll need something like this to start with:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/logic-circuit/p2003583.jcwx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

so i wouldnt be able to just modify the plug to accept individual wires for the turn signals and lights? i had thought about that, but wasnt sure if it was going to be a problem.

the way i see it, i need two wires for each bulb function right?

4 total just for brakes and illumination,

and 4 for turn signals right?

total of 8 wire plug for the trailer. its not particularly large, just a small utility trailer, but i need to have turn signals

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The only other way I know is to add a extra light to the rear of each side of the trailer. I have used the European-6 way adapters before and the work just fine. The adapter-converter is the easiest and probably the cheapest too, unless you have the other stuff laying around. Also remember the little flat 4 way boat plug.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You can use a common ground for all.

So you would need 4 wires plus a ground.

• Parking
  • Left Turn
  • Right Turn
  • Brake

If you use the converter then you would only need 3 wires and a ground.

• Parking
  • Left Turn/Brake Shared
  • Right Turn/Brake Shared

Again, most small/mid size trailers are pre-wired for a 3 wire system with a ground if they are manufactured and wired by a company.

Like PapaG said, you can add lights to the trailer for the brakes and make it a 4 wire system.

Some home-built trailers try to use the hitch as the ground but I wouldn't recommend it. Larger trailers will have larger plugs with more connectors for electric brakes, 12V power, etc. I think the best thing to do is get the trailer and then go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah. i will be picking it up tomorrow, and i will know how it's wired at the moment. hopefully, it won't be a big hassle to get this done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I got an line inverter/4 wire combo from WallyWorld for like $14, and installed it on my father's Toyota. Worked so well, I got anotherone for my Crappysan currently gathering dust on the bedcover of my LUV...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

so i got some lights from State Trailer supply today. got the trailer done, but now i need to figure out what wires to splice into.

there is a junction box under the rear of the bed that i would like to use as the location i do the splicing, but i dont know which wires i need to use. help?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well. got the logic box installed, and wired it according to what my test light was indicating.

i probed the junction box at the rear tail light harness and got flashing at two different spots. (where the flashers and left/right turn signals are)
and yes, they are wired according to what side they light up.

ground is connected, tail lights are connected, and stop lights are connected.

but im not getting anything at the rear trailer lights. they won't light up. i've double checked everything, and still i can't figure it out. what did i do wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ok. since no one has responded so far... here is an update on what is happening.

i havent changed anything, but have found why the lights wont flash and light up.

the tail light wire from the logic box is interfering with the flash and brake operation.

i turn on the lights, and all operations cease.

with the lights off, everything works although it's pretty dim.

AND the emergency flashers are the only function that lights up the brightest.

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hmmm, I'm learning, I didn't know this would be such a problem on a LUV. I have wired alot of vehicles for lights and a few for brakes. You can't just tap into each wire going to LEFT TURN SIGNAL, RIGHT TURN SIGNAL and then Brakes?? I wish I could offer more help. I am anxious to see how this turns out for you.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:47 am 
da LUV masta

I have pulled trailers some, and never gotten the lights right. I think the trouble is you have 3 different functions and the LUV has 3 different bulbs while most stuff combines the brake and turn signal. With your own trailer, you should be able to add a third pair of lights as you have. The truck should have 5 wires, tail lights, brake lights, left turn signal, right turn signal, and ground. You should have 3 pairs of lights or filaments. Connect the tail light to one pair, the brake lights to another and the left and right turn signals each to the correct one of the third pair. Connect all the grounds to the ground.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

go get an inverter its about 2"x2"x3/8" it split the wires
inside so you can use just two lights on a side they work great
I pull a motorcycle trailer all the time.
geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

thats what i bought, but a friend of mine said that it could be a light wire that is grounded and preventing operation of the whole system. i dunno.

the wife an i are headed down to tucson this week, so i will mess with it some more when we come back.

thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm 

You have a ground problem. In your situation, you have a ground that is strong enough to provide some lighting functions but not all. That is know as a weak ground. When you turn the head lights at the same time it creates the maximum amp load of lights on the trailer. If a ground problem exists that is when it will show up. The places to check grounds are:

1. The connector on the vehicle should have a ground wire secured tightly on a clean surface to the frame. A wire attached to the body or a surface with undercoating, paint, or rust can cause a ground problem.
2. The connector on the trailer should have a wire from the connector secured tightly to a clean surface on the trailer.
3. Each tail lamp assembly at the back of the trailer also must be ground. This is done in one of two ways. The first is by a separate wire coming from the back of each tail lamp assembly and being secured to the frame. The second, and most popular, ground is achieved through the bolts of the tail lamp assembly. In this case, the lamp housing must be attached to the frame of the trailer. If the lights are mounted on wood or PVC material, the lights will not be grounded.
4. The last possibility to explore is in the trailer design. If the trailer has a tilting bed, it is possible the ground is not passing through the pivot point resulting in a poor ground.

NOTE: The trailer hitch & ball connection area should never be considered sufficient ground.

This is assuming that all your wires are on the truck and traler are connected right.
I hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah everything is grounded accordingly, and the tail lights are grounded via the mounting bolts. i think i might have bit into a wire with the mounting clips. that might be the issue. i will find out this next monday

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

Almost all lighting problems are grounds ditto on what the guys said... 10 years experience working for a trailer maker in the shop and as the shop boss ... Check the output to the plug with a light. You may need a helper, and test the trailer by its self, using a car battery or some 12 volt source that has enough power to carry the load. You can build .one with a inline fuse for safety if you want too. You can check the plug ground by going through the trailer plug and then a ground to the trailer frame next.Next see if you are getting feed back on the other connectors ports. Use a test light to check for the feed back... If they both work. Check the light bulbs in the tail lights. Usually the are 1157 bulbs. Someone could have put the bulbs wrong at sometime if it has not been yours all the times.. Yes they can force it. If you have side marker lights they can cause you problems too. Take the bulbs out and see if this makes a difference. Even the ones in the tail lights too.

Electric gremlins can be the worst things to trace down, but if the problem is there all the time, you are one step ahead. If everything checks out, but it is only there when both are hooked up... My bet would be the truck. Even though you converter is new, that does not make it a good one.
HTH

I have been on spring break so I did not see your post till now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Did you get it done?

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

no, gotta go pick it up from mom and dad's house. just been lazy.

tomorrow is the day to drink beer and work on the cars.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 pm 

any updates?