LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

OK, I know I'm chiming in late too, and I hate to be the spoiler, but if you've got a 4wd, your choices are VERY limited.

The front differential intrudes into the oil pan. In fact, the oil pans on 4wds are different than 2wds. They have a cutout on the side to clear the front differential.

Also, the front differential is on the right side, which is different than most 4wd transfer cases.

This means your not likely to fit a different engine/transmission without significant front end modifications.

I've asked the question about getting more power into a 4wd, and I've searched this site, and I've only seen it done 2 ways:

1) Hop up the Luv engine. (That's what I've done, taking my truck from "I'll get there someday" to just plain slow.)
or
2) Take out the front end, swap in a solid axle, and then have the freedom to put a bigger motor in.

I always thought the Chevy 2.8 could somehow be shoehorned in but I've never tried to take it on, and don't know of anyone else that has (while retaining the stock 4wd front end).

If anyone's done it, I'd be interested as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

1okey2go wrote:

The front differential intrudes into the oil pan. In fact, the oil pans on 4wds are different than 2wds. They have a cutout on the side to clear the front differential.

This i know well. when i when to california, i forgot to swap the pan on my 2wd engine, and i couldn't figure out why the engine wasn't fitting. pulled it out again, swapped the pan. :lol:

Im still thinking beyond doing an engine hop up. i want to swap to a V type engine at this point, but am still open to something that will work you know?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Figuarus wrote:
1okey2go wrote:

This i know well. when i when to california, i forgot to swap the pan on my 2wd engine, and i couldn't figure out why the engine wasn't fitting. pulled it out again, swapped the pan. :lol:

Im still thinking beyond doing an engine hop up. i want to swap to a V type engine at this point, but am still open to something that will work you know?

lookup what the dimensions of a few engines are and break out the tape measure to the engine bay lol

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Back in the OLD days there was a KIT so you could put a V6
out of a mec. capri in a 4x4 luv.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

ahh back in the day :lol:

honestly with a bit of fabrication to the oil pan and new mounts most swaps wouldnt be too difficult. just gotta re-shape the pan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 am 

a volvo 2.3 turbo motor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Ok I know this is a late chime in and I know you've already sold your truck but I just thought I'd throw in my $.02. First off I4's are actually good at turning high RPMs because there are only 4 pistons moving in one direction instead of 6 or 8 in almost opposite directions. I4's are EXTREMELY easy to balance, most are balanced well from factory already, so they will turn HIGH, HIGH RPMs. Look at Honda's V-TEC at stock in 1989!!!! the redline was 8 grand and you can easily take that up to 10 or even 12 with somebody that knows what they are doing. Although you would have to have a cam that could make power there.

Second, STAY AWAY FROM ROTARY!!!! Unless you plan on spending every day maintaining them then leave them alone. Yes they can last a while but if even one little bit of maintenance is missed then you have a blown engine on your hands.

If you want to go with an oddball engine go with tbe Toyota V8 found in the Lexus SC400. Yes I know it's a V8 but one that you won't really ever see in a LUV. They are only 4L and are easy to mod being Toyota. Also, (Don't quote me on this) I'm pretty sure Toyota has some 4x4 transmissions that will bolt up to it. The main downside to this is that it is EFI :? But it would make a hell of a 2wd truck!

Another good swap would be the 4BD1-T. It's a good 3.9L turbo diesel that there are quite a few upgrades for plus (here's the best part) adapter plates are sold to bolt it to ANY Chevy transmission that will bolt to a 350 4.3 V6 etc. etc. I personally eventually plan on doing this swap into a 4x4 LUV hopefully relatively soon.

This was just my $.02 of advice consider it almost worthless :alcholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am 
Addicted to LUV

not at all, its good info.

i've never had a rotarty engine to work with, but due to it's simplicity and high power output,i figured it would be a decent candidate for a custom luv.

i do plan to get another Luv in the future, but with the baby coming, it will be a bit before i do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

If you do plan on going with a rotary go with the 93+ RX7 rotary. There are NUMEROUS upgrades for it and the stock twin turbo Type R version puts out 261 hp and 217 ft/lbs of torque. If you can get the one from Australia it put out 274 hp and 263 ft/lbs of torque. It's easy to up the boost on these and get an easy 300 hp and 275 ft/lbs. Like I said the bad thing about them is they are extremely temperamental and HIGH HIGH maintenance. You can pick up an engine and transmission combo for about 5 grand that has less than 60k miles on it. Just don't plan on making it your daily unless you have a backup car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

4bt will not fit under the hood as the turbo pipe runs over the engine... Need a good size engine bay, tall one.

A Mercedes 4 cyl diesel might work. A VW TDI would work. I know a 350 5.7l olds diesel will fit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:signiagree
high maintenance... BUT there are less moving parts to replace when they fail and as long as you dont run it on the redline constantly it will last you a lot longer.. if you buy a used one get the apex seals replaced to save yourself the headache later.

i had a buddy that was running a 13BTT twin turbo dual rotor RX7 engine and 5 speed in his datsun pickup and it destroyed the majority of the 350 V8 mini trucks around here. those rotaries are light AND powerful and they sound mean when you rev them up. great combo in a LUV.

but the 5 grand is a bit steep 0.o check out ebay i know you can get a full RX7 engine/trans/ecu/harness combo for less than half of that.
badass rotary luv burnout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhE2ZmvzUE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

A 4BD1-T will fit under the hood you just have to have at least a 2" body lift. And yea I know the 5k was steep for the RX7 but that was maximum for one and usually includes larger turbos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 am 

Im sure people are going to slap at me for it... but buddy and I are talking swaps for my luv, and its looking like a dual overhead cam ka motor. Then adding a turbo, possibly twin not sure yet. I want to keep weight down as much as possible, thus the 4. Cyl. And once all the wrench time is done should be quick as hell.
:eugeek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

tucson80 wrote:
Im sure people are going to slap at me for it... but buddy and I are talking swaps for my luv, and its looking like a dual overhead cam ka motor. Then adding a turbo, possibly twin not sure yet. I want to keep weight down as much as possible, thus the 4. Cyl. And once all the wrench time is done should be quick as hell.
:eugeek

a KA sure as hell beats the stock g180 X^D cant slap ya for wanting some real power :lol:

the KA series engines are sweet and they can handle a LOT of power/ and you can find a rediculous amount of aftermarket parts for them. you shouldn't have a problem finding one from a 240sx that is already setup for turbo. i would recommend that route over buying a non-turbo and adding a turbo to it because the engines that aren't designed to run turbo are just that... not designed to run a turbo and often have different internals that wont handle boost well and blowing a piston or rod SUCKS!!! and in the end it will more than likely be cheaper that way with a lot less headaches

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The 4bt is the Cummins Engine. The exhaust to the turbo goes over the valve cover. I do not know much about the Isuzu engine. But I do know the Cummins engine founding member of the yahoo group and the swap site. I have done swaps with it and the International Hs2800tdi,PowerStroke (no longer available) from Brazil> It was a great little engine.
Sorry if we were talking about different engines. old age does that to you. 8) Looks like a lot of info on the Isuzu engine. Looks like both were in MD trucks and industrial too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm 

I Like the idea of a Rotary, they should be simple, easy to maintain and a VERY good power to wight. for the Subaru engine people (Dad has owed over 13) if you want to spend $$ http://www.xcceleration.com/sti.gt35.race2.kit.htm and get 800HP that 200HP a cylinder. allso both of these should have almost no vibration. i personally want an air cooled straight 4 Duitz Diesel in a LUV. lots of torque, same HP, good gas mileage, industrial design, never brake down. Wankel Proof of concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ITy_E0JLg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Haha, love it. I'm hoping to get my private pilots license soon.... Was that a Cessna?

2002 Mazda B4000 4x4
1978 Chevy LUV - Sold :(
1990 Kawasaki EX500
2008 Yamaha TTR230

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i would like to find a way to adapt the mazda 13btt twin turbo rotary to my 4x4 luv... what thickness of an adapter plate would i need to make?? i will keep the stock 4 speed or a trooper/pup 4x4 5 speed if i go that route. someone mentioned that there was a adapter plate made to hook a 13b rotary to a luv trans... anyone??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

If the 4bt is to tall why not jus put a tall cowl hood?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

158luv wrote:
If the 4bt is to tall why not jus put a tall cowl hood?

OR re route the pipe? hell to put a 4bt in my luv i would plumb that intake pipe through my firewall and out the other side :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next