LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 am 
da LUV masta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 pm 

Someone needs to find a wrecked lambo or ferrari and swap in a v10 or v12. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm 

rondog wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Saturn Sky Red Line Turbo 2.0 Turbo 4 Cyl makes 260HP 5sp transmission RWD. That would make a neat Luv setup.
Automatic or manual.

I keep telling my son to have OverHaulin take my 78 from me and put his Chevy Cobalt set up in it. He reminds me that his is front wheel drive. But the Saturn and Pontiac 2 seaters are rear wheel drive, and other than many electronics to deal with, will run very well.
His Cobalt SS is supercharged with a 5 spd manual, and had about 205 HP brand new. He has done all kinds of upgrades to it since.
But a turbo 4 banger,- trans, and rear end out of a Satern or Pontiac 2 seater, in a LUV would run real well I think. And they get killer mileage too!

yeah, the GM 2.0L direct injection turbo LNF platform(08-10 cobalt ss, hhr ss, 05-09 solstice gxp & sky redline) was my plan for my 4x4 luv...just had no cash to put it in action.
but in the cobalt ss and hhr ss stock form they are detuned to 260hp/260tq to the flywheel = 240/240 to the whees on the fwd f35 tranny. but, a tune +charge piping and exhaust(turbo back) + minor mod to the intake and your at 300+hp 350+tq to the front wheels....you could always get crazy and p&p the head and build the engine, slap a bigger turbo on it, and push 500+ hp the the wheels too(still only a 2.0l) that will be capable of getting 30-35+ hwy mpg IF you can stay off the boost haha
my cobalt(05-07) has the supercharged 2.0L lsj platform rated at 205hp/200tq to the flywheel...almost all of them were underrated though and mine put down with only an intake 215hp/ 185tq the the front wheels theres a lot more info about these two engines, the lsj has a lot of potential though, supercharged, turbo, twincharged...so far twincharged has the highest recorded power so far though.
heres our dyno number thread if anyone is intrested http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194257

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I am chiming in a little late on this post, but wanted to add my thoughts however you may take them.

The original suggestion was for the 215 aluminum v-8 which was a solid motor but can be difficult to get parts for. If you are looking for a different v-8 and parts availability, look to the range rovers. The 80's and 90's ones had v-8's with fuel injection and parts can still be had for them.

The 2.8L is a solid motor if you get a later model which has a few design improvements. These can be stroked to a 3.1 and there are performance parts avaiable for them. There was a member on here who stuffed a 2.8L efi/T5 into a 2wd.

The buick v-6 is a solid option but has been done a lot.

The SBF is a good choice with it's front distributor and small size. Not that common of a swap either.

I could go on and on and people can correct me or add on, but it all boils down to you making that choice and working towards it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:52 am 

im goin with the 2.2 s10 motor and slapping a turbo kit on it that should be 200 plus to the wheels and still get good gas mileage plus the t5 will bolt right to it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 am 
da LUV masta

Have you looked at some of the DOHC inline 4's? I had a Grand Am with a HO Quad 4 and it would run all day at 80. The Ecotec my Cavalier has now isn't a bad engine, smoother, quieter, better millage, even if it won't lay rubber in third gear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:11 pm 

feliciano wrote:
im goin with the 2.2 s10 motor and slapping a turbo kit on it that should be 200 plus to the wheels and still get good gas mileage plus the t5 will bolt right to it

a 2.2 @ 200hp on a turbo would only be around ~5psi...could use a really small turbo and spool very fast and and have boost thru most of your rpm even...or run 7-12 and have ~250hp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

someone brings an interesting item to my attention.

Mazda rotary engine.

how feasibly would this be? i know a trans adapter would be in order, but as far as the technical possibility is concerned, what would be the disadvantage of this vs a conventional engine?

i know it's been done, but how? using mazda drivetrain? what if i want to retain my 4wd? 8O

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I am sure there is a person/company that can make a adapter.

It was mentioned her before about the iron duke 3.0 GM 4 cylinder engine. It bolts up to a standard GM trans (350,400, 700R4 etc). I that have that engine in my 19 foot deep v open bow heavy boat and it puts out 165 HP with a 2 barrel carb. I will say it moves my boat better then the inline 6 in my previous boat that was the same size and weight. If you are going into a 4X4 H.P. is good but torque is equally important.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

feliciano wrote:

The connecting rods had problems after Isuzu introduced their own turbo version of this engine, and it did not have nearly that much power. Isuzu beefed up the rods after buying back a lot of motors. Add enough boost to get 200 hp and you won't have it very long.
RooTBeeR wrote:
a 2.2 @ 200hp on a turbo would only be around ~5psi...could use a really small turbo and spool very fast and and have boost thru most of your rpm even...or run 7-12 and have ~250hp
I don't know where you're getting your formula--but the factory Isuzu turbodiesel was around 75 HP, if I recall correctly--and the max boost was more than 5 lbs (can't remember the exact specs).

Maybe it was a bad assumption on my part--but I assumed by "2.2 s10 motor" he meant the Isuzu diesel...was I wrong?

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i know the all american guys are gonna hate me for it but bear with me lol

the nissan RB series 4 cyl engines are great and the aftermarket support is amazing

Mazda 13B rotary engine. dual rotor, 1.3L, small, light weight, incredibly powerful, common. (rx7 engine) 5 speed.

i have been debating between the 13BT and a 4.3... alone with every other engine under the sun,. for mine

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm no expert but I would think a rotary in a 4x4 would be a poor choice (although a rotary street truck would be cool).

Typically you want torque for a 4x4. A rotary engine can be thought of as a large-bore, short-stroke engine. A large-bore, short-stroke engine is more of a HP/RPM motor and is generally less torquey. Looking at miscellaneous dyno charts, rotary torque output is about 25% less than it's horsepower, which is quite a bit less than a typical piston engine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:51 am 

heres an idea, why swap the motor at all, you could get 350 pistons or ford 2300 or any pistons for that matter that are bigger than the 1.8, bore the block out to make them fit and i beleive crower has some connecting rods for it, thts my plan for my truck after i get all the kinks out of it and its estimated to take it from the 75-80 hp to almost 200 with that one little thing, get a mild little cam for it, headers bore the intake and exhaust valves out (i done tht to the max :P) have the head shaved and you will have you somemore power.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

IF a rotary truck was so great, Mazda/Ford would still sell them...
Nissan Z/24 is what I have in a Nissan truck, it sux!
And lastly, just to really crap in the cheerios, you can bore/stroke/piston/turbo a v8 as easlily as the 4 banger and go faster...

Don't mind me, just strirring the pot...Image

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:14 am 

tht is true he can bore/stroke/turbo a v8 just as easy but if you recall he said not your usual swaps, every has throw a v8 in these hogs and dont get me wrong im all for it but he is tryin to stay clear of a v8 so it would be easier to bore his 4 banger because he already has it and could immediately start on it,right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

I vote the Subaru flat 4 turbo motor then, it is built with a turbo from the factory, wicked power with minimum upgrades, but for the record, a turbo'ed v8 ain't your usual swap...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:
I vote the Subaru flat 4 turbo motor then, it is built with a turbo from the factory, wicked power with minimum upgrades, but for the record, a turbo'ed v8 ain't your usual swap...

:signiagree
i know there is someone on the site doing a subaru engine swap into is luv.
if i had the money to buy up one subie 4 cyl it would already be in my truck! those engines are animals and they run forever. and they sound amazing going down the road... even better in a luv.

twin turbo v8 would be epic in a luv tho.....

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:18 pm 

im likin the twin turbo v8 idea :ebiggrin :o :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

part of the reason i was thinking about the rotary is it's power output to weight ratio. also, it's simplicity is appealing to someone like me.

i figure since i'm mostly into the trails in 4 low anyway, and im geared pretty low, torque isnt a big issue or rather, it's not a major concern to me so long as i have the power to back it up. Since it's mostly on the street that i drive the truck on a bit more power on the pavement is nice too.

i'm also thinking about the S10 2.2, but i dunno if it's worth it. i know if i can't get this issue with the driveline corrected, i will just go with a SAS. using the S10's 4.3 and 4by xfer should put me in the ball park of where i want to be.

but since i had recently seen a thread around about a rotary in a luv, i figured i would ask about it for a 4wd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:

Don't mind me, just strirring the pot...Image

:lol:

stirred it you have!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next