LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

I woke up this morning after a restless night, and while sitting on the king's private throne, I had a miniscule epiphany.

The Luv truck has seen its' share of engine swaps and transmission combinations. That got me thinking about what OTHER engines have yet to be used or possibly even considered for use in our trucks.

I've been told that Inline engines are not high RPM engines in that they should not be operated at high revs for long periods of time. V-type engines are more suitable for this type of work, but the fact is that they are just not as efficient as other engines. Inlines produce more torque, while v-types do not, and while there are many advantages to BOTH engine types, it makes me wonder why there aren't more V-4 engines available.

Lets face it, while the wimpy little inline 4 that came with our trucks is a bit underpowered, but it does a good job of doing what it was intended to do: move us around; Get us from point A to point B and back again. I know alot of hondas and toyotas have inline 4s, but recently i've read and learned that they have begun offering these cars with V-4 engines.

Scat offered V4 engines that were tiny terrors. (i think they were putting out somewhere between 280 and 300+ HP) Ford made V4s for some of their european vehicles.

(sorry its been a long post, but bear with me im almost done. I'm also writing this at 3.30 in the morning and im running on 5 hours of sleep)

so my question comes down to this, where can i get my hands on a V4 to install in my truck, and would this be a good move? I want an engine that has decent power, can be used for longer trips at higher speeds and that is still more efficient than a v6.

Any thoughts?

Also, i thought this article was interesting : http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/c ... 47885.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:04 am 
da LUV masta

Buick and Oldsmobile 215 aluminum V8 from 1961-1963. They weigh only 320 pounds.

Someone mentioned this on a thread a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

but its a V8? it may be light, but i would imagine that it would still use more fuel than a v4 wouldnt it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

Scat V4 engines, while they are cool, they can be expensive and finding parts is tough.

Here is one for sale. Mostly 1/2 of a Chevy V8

http://www.americansandassociation.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=220350&sid=5da67eadb39f3703ecb81c6b54534f94

Originally around about $20k or more.

There is a lot more information on them than there was a few years ago.

This engine will be shorter than a in line 4 cylinder engine.

Last edited by PapaG on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

fuel economy is all subjective.

A properly built high horsepower engine can be great on gas if you keep your foot out of it. works for me... I get around 26 highway on the way to work.

I understand your desire for a "Scat" V4 but I will have to reccomend aganst it. these were purpose built racing engines in the 500 to 600hp range, and have no provisions for the standard install. Unless you have dry sump and heavy fab experiance you will not enjoy the engine too much. But I have one I will sell you if that interested.
I can host pictures when I get home.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

well, im not looking to catch a demon and chain him under the hood to power my truck, im just looking for something OTHER than an inline or a v8 to swap. im thinking about a 2.8 v6 and since its GM made, it would definitely present an opportunity to swap a T5 5spd. of course, this is all dependent if its even possible to install on a 4by chassis.

ps, i only mentioned the scat because it is of v4 design. besides even if i did end up swapping for a v8, my foot is feather light! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:04 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the GM 2.8 was a decent V6 but way underpowered for what it was.

It will take some messing around with to make the numbers you might want. I built one a few years ago for a friend, end result was 331 hp and a decent 24mpg highway in a fairly heavy 84 cherokee. so not a bad choice.... but there are better options.

Im sure by now everyone is tired of me pushing the turbo buick idea, but it works.... and im quickly picking up speed to take on the fastest V8s here. I picked up this SFI turbocharged buick 3.8 for 500 bucks last week. With time it wont be long before this stock block, pistons and rods, are making 400+ hp.

what about just another 4cyl? maybe a hopped up 2.5, or 3.0 GM iron duke.... they can make the power if you pay attention to what your doing, and a t5 will bolt right up to it....

in the end, it all boils down to budget and the desire you have for your particular chosen combo. But remember, the more oddball of an engine you choose, the more experiance its going to require to make the power, reliability, and a good source of parts. My shop specializes in Oddball engine performance builds - feel free to hit me up if I can help.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

an iron duke you say? i like the sound of that.

I've no idea what it actually is, but the name sounds....kind of erotic :lol:

i dont mind a 4 cyl swap, but like i stated earlier, the point of the swap (in my case) is not increasing horsepower, but to increase available stock power and mate it to a reliable transmission ( yes i know there are some of you out there that dont like the T5, but i love it and it hasnt given me problems in the past)

is that 3.0 a v6?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Figuarus wrote:
an iron duke you say? i like the sound of that.

I've no idea what it actually is, but the name sounds....kind of erotic :lol:

actually im right with ya on the erotic part! LOL.... but its the stock engine used in thousands of S10s..... yes they are notorious for being piles of shit... but can be turned around with lots of love and some time.

Figuarus wrote:
i dont mind a 4 cyl swap, but like i stated earlier, the point of the swap (in my case) is not increasing horsepower, but to increase available stock power and mate it to a reliable transmission ( yes i know there are some of you out there that dont like the T5, but i love it and it hasnt given me problems in the past)

is that 3.0 a v6?

The first pic was a 2.8, and the last is a Buick 3.8 V6 out of an 84 Ttype Riv. the cool part, is that the later supercharged buick V6 also has a 60* bellhousing.... which makes mating up to a GM T5 a piece of cake.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Saturn Sky Red Line Turbo 2.0 Turbo 4 Cyl makes 260HP 5sp transmission RWD. That would make a neat Luv setup.
Automatic or manual.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

well, now that i have the plans to get my 4wd, i dont know if the plans i had to use an s10 v6 will work.

if i decided to change out the engine, i would imagine i would also want to change the transmissions and transfer case. unfortunately, im not very skilled in 4wd systems. any thoughts on what to do?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

It would be a bear to drop in a V8 or even a V6 with a 4wd and leave it looking stock or even remotely stock at all. Oil pan and from diff would be only two issues. Now if you are looking to just keep the Luv body and drop it on another frame that can probably be done alot easier. There is a guy here in GF that has done that and he runs Mud Rally's with it. 383 stroker with something like 18-44's or bigger on the axles and it screams. I guess all this goes out the window if you are planning to lift it through the roof or even swap front axle assembly with something else. I mainly want to keep mine looking the way it is so I'm pretty much stuck with the normal 4 bangers that swap easily. I have considered dropping in a 2.6L and adding a few goodies to it. Still might happen.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have thought of the 2.8 V6 swap or the factory replacement 3.4 (40 more HP)using the 700R4 and an early 208 transfer case. And yes these motors are not the big hp power plants but that changes when you install them in a much lighter trk then the POS S10s.

There is also the 3.0 GM 4 cyl. that in marine application was 140-160 HP and standard GM bell housing bolt pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

well, like i has originally stated, anything stock from another truck is going to make a HUGE difference when installed into our little trucks. some of us are used to underpowered vehicles. others are used to having more power at their command.

i just want something that i can ALMOST drop in with minimal fuss. i dont mind dropping in a v6, i just need some direction since this would probably be the first engine swap ive done that wasnt a stock replacement.

you mentioned a 700r4, and t-case.i don't mind going auto, but i would PREFER to remain a manual trans. this is why i had already thought about that 2.8 and a T5 setup. i have a lead on a 2.8 v6 from an s15 jimmy that one of my neighbors wrecked.

when the components are chosen, i have considered a SAS since i dont think that the half shafts are going to hold up under the power being placed on them.

please, keep the comments and suggestions coming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 am 
da LUV masta

well if your wanting OUT SIDE THE BOX ideas........
how bout a isuzu 4JB1-T, I-4, 2.8L, Turbo Diesel engine, from Japan.

about $2,500 to get one.

i know from a person that put one in a pup that they need a 2"~ body lift for the hood to shut.

there around 85~HP or around 105~HP with a inter-cooler, and about 170 torque with out the cooler.

trubble is every one ive seen has a 4X4 trans that comes with it, this bell housing was NEVER SOLD IN THE USA.
87 is the last diesel year, and 88 was the first MUA trans year.

its a isuzu MUA trans with the starter on the oppest side of the gas engines. :!: :!:

HO yea, ill add its competly 100% computer free, good at starting in cold temps, and good with BIO fuels.

the bad is, they rattel more than the USA spec C223 diesel and there louder, you whould not want to run one with out a muff.

thats my wild idea :P and get 30~ mpg at 60/70 :P with 31/10.50/15 tires :P

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

PapaG wrote:
Saturn Sky Red Line Turbo 2.0 Turbo 4 Cyl makes 260HP 5sp transmission RWD. That would make a neat Luv setup.
Automatic or manual.

I keep telling my son to have OverHaulin take my 78 from me and put his Chevy Cobalt set up in it. He reminds me that his is front wheel drive. But the Saturn and Pontiac 2 seaters are rear wheel drive, and other than many electronics to deal with, will run very well.
His Cobalt SS is supercharged with a 5 spd manual, and had about 205 HP brand new. He has done all kinds of upgrades to it since.
But a turbo 4 banger,- trans, and rear end out of a Satern or Pontiac 2 seater, in a LUV would run real well I think. And they get killer mileage too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ron,

i think i have a new goal!
that does sound sweet. I tried getting my wife to get my 71 Bel-air on Overhaulin when i still had it. I can only imagine what it would have looked like after Foose got his hands on it.

this is what it looked like when i inherited it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah, im thinking that if i do end up doing a swap in the time to come, i will probably find myself a 2.8v6 and T5.

i'll have to find me a transfer case and custom make some shafts for the 'yota axles i plan to drop in.

THIS should be fun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:53 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I have often thought a 3.0 twin-turbo v-6 from a Nissan 300ZX would be a fun swap and crazy fast in a LUV, but there's the whole jap vs. U.S. engine thing I'm not sure i want to get in the middle of. I've got a 350 from a 69 P/U that was built with large valve heads and roller rockers that would be fun, but it is NOT an original idea! I also recently thought a 5.0 12-cylinder from a BMW 750 would be a different idea for a LUV, but WAY too hard to get it to fit properly! Any thoughts on other original engine ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well, i did have the idea of swapping in a custom built engine, but i think i will leave that idea for another project (hot rod)