LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:10 am 

well ive had this 94 camaro six speed v8 for years now and it has ran great until a few months ago.. most of the time it still runs good but sometimes when you get on the gas it will start to shake a little and it sounds like its choking. and just doent want to go if your in a low gear it wants to die.. i have put new plugs wires cap and rotor fuel filter. now since i have paid for these repairs it still doesnt work correctly so i went a bought a new car. since i have gotten the car i have only drove the camaro a few times and it seemed to work just fine until yesterday it started doing it again
one person told me i have a burnt valve.. ouch that repair hurts my wallet bad... i can drive that car around town for a couple hours and it runs fine. or just a few minutes and its bad..
questions
if i had a burnt valve wouldnt it run bad all the time?
when the timings out of wack could it still run good somtimes?
my cooling fan doesnt work correctly so i have hard wired it the a switch. could it be something with my computer possibly?
could the fuel pump possibly be the problem? do they sometimes work right and sometime not work right??
i really dont know what else to do with this car. its been soo good to me for soo long i spent 400 dollars just to get the plugs replaced and cant keep putting money into dead ends please help if you can :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:25 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

First thing that comes to mind is the famous Opti-spark ingnition that was on the LT1s. Did you replace that with the wires and plugs? (Its the thing that is on the front on the motor that the plug wires plug into) Also when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

that wasnt replaced. though will be done monday now did the fuel filter when the plugs where replaced. thanks soo much for replying. id hate to have to get rid of the cool car

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Any reputable mechanic should be able to check the optispark and coil. The optispark is famous for failing when exposed to any moister...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Trash in the gas tank can stop up a fuel filter slowly or fast. If you have had to replace several filters you may need to have your tank cleaned. It is something you can do with a little help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:57 am 
da LUV masta

Run some fuel system cleaner through it if you think it's acting like it's running out of gas. Your injectors might be plugged up a bit...
But the all of a sudden no worky kinda does point to electrical.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 am 

nother vote for the opti-spark here. What you are describing is classic opti failure. Have you checked for codes? It will usually set off one or two. Lots of people bad mouth them with the likes of opti-crap, etc but I sold my '94 TA with 160k miles with only a cap change. I kind of like them for what they are.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 am 

no codes show up in the system i have been taken this car to machanics since that problem began and have made it no further than drianing my wallet. they are now saying either they dont know or that i have a burnt valve but that doesnt makes since to me as to why it runs good then bad. if its just that opti spark thats great.. again thank you all for helping me try to figure out this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I hope I don't offend, but it sounds like the mechanics you are taking it to don't know what they are doing.

I've had experience with that type before. They will be more than happy to charge you for major repairs that you don't need, while they hack away at the problem.

I had a '96 that had the same problem, but mine was fixed with new plug wires. Are you sure they changed the wires? They are a pain in the butt to change on those cars. Hopefully they didn't just tell you they changed them and didn't actually do it.

If the wires did get changed, then my vote is for the opti-spark as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:52 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I do agree with Ben...your signature states that you are a woman...Sad to say but I think this is a common occurence..(not saying this happened to you)..but my girlfriend has been subject to this more than once..........

They CAN and SHOULD be able to check and diagnose your ingnition accuratly...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:12 am 
da LUV masta

If the shop doesn't fix the problem the first time through the shop, they have to refund your money. Don't go back to the shop if you think they might have screwwed you, get in touch with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. They'll set things straight.
Well, at least this is how it works in CA. A local shop was shut down because it couldn't diagnose anything properly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

A burnt valve will not come and go. A burnt exhaust valve someone should be able to feel at the exhaust pipe . A burnt intake intake valve someone should be able to feel at the air intake. A compression test will confirm a burnt valve if you have one, exhaust or intake valve or enough carbon built up to work the same way.

Make sure you are using an ASE certified mechanic. Not a guarantee, but if they cheat people they will lose that certification. A compression should not cost more than 1 hour labor I feel. They should give you the results of the test. It will show the tests for all cylinders. If they squirt oil in the cylinders after the first test and the compression goes up it will not be a valve, more likely rings in a low reading in a cylinder.

Sorry if that is too much info, post the results after you have that done, if you do it. If someone has a compression tester at home they should know how to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:04 pm 

Thank you again to all who reply'd. gunna get it on a test monday. and yes i would agree that since im a young girl people have taken the advantage of my wallet which is quite small. hoping that these next fixes wont be too much. if it is the opti-spark thats 400 to have done its self. otherwise the for sale sign goes back in the window which i hate to do :(
wish these newer cars where built like they used to be...