LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I just picked up a 350 vortec engine today. The heads are 906 castings. Sorry if this gets to be a long post I have lots of questions because I know very little about the vortec stuff. I got the motor from a friend that doesnt know anything about vortec stuff either. I have heard lots of different answers on the max lift these heads can handle in stock configuration. I have heard .450, .470, .480, .500. Also did these heads come from the factory with exhaust valve rotators? Mine has none.

The block casting number is 10243880. From what I found at mortec this is a GM crate motor used from 95-00 and uses a zz4 roller cam. If the heads are limited to under a generous .500 lift and the cam is rated at .474/.510 lift would the heads have to be modified from GM to deal with this if they are the original heads and will the press in studs be an issue? Also the motor was left sitting in a shop with the intake manifold off for what looks like quite a while. The valley is pretty nasty with oily dust build up. I am planning on using the motor in a claimer class car so I need to keep and reuse everything I can. Is there a good safe way to clean up the lifters. The bottom end appears to be original and the compression test was good on all the cylinders but one that has an exhaust valve problem. Other than the one valve that isnt sealing properly and the scum in the valley it appears to be almost as clean as the day it was new. Sorry again for having such a long post I am new to the vortec style stuff and one piece main seal blocks.