LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 pm 
da LUV masta

Hi all,

What is the deal with cold air intakes? I see them commonly on EFI Cars, sometimes on TBI cars, and almost never with carbureted cars. It is my understanding that the air going into a carburetor needs to be a little warm to help with atomization; but everybody knows that cold air is more dense and can give more power. So I have a stupid idea of putting a cold air intake on my LUV. I have the stock enclosed air cleaner right now. I noticed that the carb throat on my Hitachi is 3 3/32", which I think is close enough to the standard 3" cold air kits that I bet I could use universal parts from Pep Boys to connect a cold air line to the carb. Of course the conundrum is that Hicrappys almost always run bad anyway. Sometime I will get a Weber. But I sort of have a desire to screw around with what I have for a while.

My theory is that even with a "cold air" kit that it will be warmer than outside ambient by virtue of having to go through a tube that's in the engine compartment; also the carb itself gets plenty of heat from the intake manifold. I imagine it will run like crap till the engine warms up but maybe I can live with that.

What say you?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

it will help, but it wont be some massive swing of power. Some engines need the ability to get all the air they can get, buit i dont see it of any value on the stock motor.

9 times out of 10 its more a waste of money.

But there shouldnt be any issues with cold weather drivability if the tune is up to snuff. As for air heating up in the tube, shouldnt be more than +/- 1 or 2 degrees, unless you have the tube right on the exhaust or something.

the only issue you might run into, is a lean spot. just listin for knock and keep an eye on the plugs and you should be fine.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

definetley incrimental power increases based on how modified motor is. I had a mildly modified mopar and felt a pretty stout increase. i think it was a combination of a cooler denser air charge and alot less heat soak in the motor. i was able to moniter my intake air temp and it went from 190f to about =/-5f cooler then ambient temp.
ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm 
PITA Old Fart

In my '78 stepside Luv with a built up 1.9 G200z 4 banger out of an Isuzu Impulse I run a hood with a small scoop ducted right into my air cleaner for my weber in the summer. It doesn't make a huge difference - but it certainly is noticable. Most Luvs have round openings in the radiator support on each side of the radiator, so using some aluminum flex tubing (like the type that is used to vent a clothes dryer) to duct cold air into the opening in your air cleaner for your Hicrappy carb shouldn't be all that tough.

...just my $.02 worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 am 
Addicted to LUV

You meen like the stock setup on my 80 4X4 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 am 
da LUV masta

tj white wrote:

You meen like the stock setup on my 80 4X4 ?

So I've always suspected something like that was stock but never seen a picture of it. My '72 air cleaner angles backward even more, points the other way, and the opening is like 1.5" diameter and round. I've toyed with the idea of re-indexing the stock unit to point it more forward, and in the other direction, haven't done it. Maybe I could find some parts like TJs at the Pick-a-Part and adapt them--that would probably be the most cost effective solution. I think the key will be that 45 degree bit that attaches to the air cleaner.

So on Chevy small blocks the hot trick is to put the air cleaner lid on upside down, everybody's done it, including me on my other truck and it felt like even that helped. So theoretically it can't be a bad thing to have colder/more air going in; the question is how. I think I want to definitely delete the stock air cleaner, it's big and in the way of the idle mixture and idle speed screws, has a lot of mass to hold heat, etc. Would just be simpler to get rid of it, put in some kind of open element. I think that I will try that first, the plenums and such I would need for a true cold air are too expensive and don't fit the odd, probably metric Hitachi carb throat. I measure it at 3 3/16", it's probably like 81 mm OD.

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:03 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Factory cold air intake system have been done since the early sixtier. GM, Most notable is the Firebird T/A, Chrysler products came with them, as did ford, and even AMC.