LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:19 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Since I have been trying to learn and figure out as much as I can on california smog laws I figure I would ask this question about Engine swaps in california and keeping it legal.

Since I have sold my LUV I have been wanting to do a V8 S-10 project. From what I understand you can do it legally but there are some hoops to jump through. I would pick an 82 since from what I understand you have to have a newer engine in the older truck as part of keeping it legal. I dont know how the BAR or referee knows what the new motor came out of other than what you tell them and the limited amount of research they can do with what you show them. I can get a 350 out of a given number of vehicles how are or are they going to say it came out of a 83 or newer camaro or what ever. Which brings me to how do they figure out what smog equipment you must equip it with. If I use say a 97 vortec motor do I have to use a computer with it or can I use a emissions legal carb? If anyone has gone through this I would really like to figure out how this process works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

You will have to prove what the engine is if he can't determine it from the numbers stamped in the block. It's best to contact the local referee station and go and talk to him about what you want to do and what will be accepted. They usually will give you some direction to help put the project together.
Usually you must have all the smog equip that was on that vehicle. Newer engines are more favored into older chassis. They have some charrts that give year interchange, such as 76-80 cannot go into anything newer yet can go older. Truck to pass car is usually a no-no regardles of year.

Can't stress enough, talk to the referee that's going to make the call, and write down what he tells you for reference, don't count on your memory, there may be a lot of info given.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:55 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

When I get serious about it I will definatly talk to the referee I just want to hear some first hand info first and see if I really want to jump through the hoops.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:17 am 

i would listen to old rob but to the best of my understanding is.as long as its a chevy motor it dont matter what you put it in as long as its a gm product and as long as it passes smog emmisions who cares what year it is . after a fashion tho they can tell just by looking at your valve covers cus most new gm engines are vortex and the valve covers changed with 2 single studs down the middle insted of 4 on the corners .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

Don't trust anyone. Just go yourself to a smog referee and ask him. They are nice people, no reason to be scared of them, just tell them what you want and ask them what is needed to make it pass.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:29 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Its been a long time since I posted this topic and sice then decided to abandon the idea. I allready have a hot rodded 78 C 10 that I have to play the smog game with and I am tired of playing that game. I have decided to convert it back so it will pass the smog mans inspection and sell it once I get it done and buy something older that doesnt require me to have an extra motor in my garage taking up space or an extra set of heads, intake, and cam eating up shelf space. The idea of having another V-8 converted small truck is something I would really like to do again but I know eventually I will get bored with it and start building another 500 Hp small block and be back to having an extra smogger motor eating up my somewhat limited garage space and that is what I am now trying to avoid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

:oops: I should have looked at the date.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

LOL dont worry about it. What happened to all the people that used to be on here? I still have a topic or 2 that hasnt had any replies in probably 6+ months. I remember back a few years ago when you could ask a question and there would be several knowledgeable replies quick and everyone moved on to the next issue. Its really sad this used to be my favorite website.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It's a little slower than it used to be. Mostly all the info has been posted now days. You just need to search a little and find your answer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:59 pm 
da LUV masta

Good point Ron, I too tend to not reply when I know the answer is in the literature, as they say. But I bet there are still many people who still read it every day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

If I read something that I know the answer if it is posted or not under another thread I will answer. One because sometimes I know that I cant allways find answers in old posts and two there is more than one way to do something sometimes one person can describe a different way of doing what ever that can be easier or faster. Three I like to help people when ever I can because there has been and will be a time that I need help. Usually a lot of the time I ask for information it is something off the wall that isnt usually commonly discussed or doesnt come up in a search. People are also very opinionated and will only tell you that you are wrong because you dont do what they think is the right way to do something I have learned that asking the same question to more than one group of people will get you some good answers that you might not get if you only search from other peoples questions and problems. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

75 V8LUV wrote:
Its been a long time since I posted this topic and sice then decided to abandon the idea. I allready have a hot rodded 78 C 10 that I have to play the smog game with and I am tired of playing that game. I have decided to convert it back so it will pass the smog mans inspection and sell it once I get it done and buy something older that doesnt require me to have an extra motor in my garage taking up space or an extra set of heads, intake, and cam eating up shelf space. The idea of having another V-8 converted small truck is something I would really like to do again but I know eventually I will get bored with it and start building another 500 Hp small block and be back to having an extra smogger motor eating up my somewhat limited garage space and that is what I am now trying to avoid.

with the non smog trucks it is now 75 and older so you can build any 75 and back and no crap i got a 75 luv,73 4x4 monster blazer,75 2 wheel drive blazer,63 c-10 2 wheel drive and luv that there is no smog i still have a few trucks that need smog 93 4x4 sub,88 4x4 sub lol

86 1-ton 4x crewcab short bd 15"lift
75 k-5 2x
94 king cab

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

76 and older require smog, not 75

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The law does not exempt the earilier vehicles from being smog legal. The law only exempts 75 earlier vehicles from bi annual smog inspections. If you should get picked up at one of the drive by sensors, you may be contacted and required to have it inspected. There is also a federal law, which basically says you cannot modify any smog related components or equipment. Thats from 65 on.
There is always some wacko legislator (numskull) that is introducing bills to roll back the smog inspection exemption. Soooo be aware of this and be ready to let your local elected officals know of your feelings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:28 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

what is this drive by sensors your talking about old rob. havent hard about that one. and your saying that federal law says we cant mod our trucks engine if it has smog equipment on it.

&
Project-soon to be revived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Where does it say 75 and older, all of my info (and I am a smog tech) tells me 76 and older.
Here is what I have

AB2683 ends the 30 year rolling exemption. Amendments were added on the Senate Floor after passing through all committees. Here is what AB2683 does:
1. “Section 1. (a) It is the intent of the Legislature, in enacting the act adding this section, to ensure that vehicles , of the 1975 model-year and older are permanently exempted from the biennial compliance requirement of the motor vehicle inspection and maintenance (smog check) program.
2. 1976 and newer model vehicles are to remain in the smog check program forever.
3. Amendments added a link to Vehicle Code 5051 and placed additional requirements on 1976 and newer model vehicles as follows:
a. A 1976 or newer model vehicle will always require a smog check,
b. When a 1976 or newer model vehicle reaches 35 years old or older the owner of the vehicle can get a less stringent test as defined in number 4
4. To qualify for the less stringent test the requirements are:
a. The owner presents proof that the vehicle is insured as a collector vehicle
b. No parameters are specified in the bill for the collector insurance (example – mileage)
c. The vehicle must be at least 35 model years old
d. The vehicle must pass a tailpipe emissions test for that model year
e. The vehicle must pass a Gas Cap Check
f. The vehicle must pass a Fuel Leak Check
The Good News: For now all 1966-1975 vehicle owners can keep all of their highly modified vehicles exactly as is.
The Bad News: Vehicle Code 27156 still says the vehicle must retain its original emissions equipment in place. We are all vulnerable. I get regular email from South Coast Air Quality District of 1971-1980 vehicles being bought and crushed. As a result parts for 1971 to 1980 vehicles will become harder to find. This is State Funded Scrappage. Remote Sensing is in full operation (study mode) taking emissions readings on any vehicle that goes through it (including street rods, hot rods, rat rods, 50s vehicles and 60s classic vehicles). No vehicle is exempt from Remote Sensing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

#2 and 2-A both say 76 and newer will need a check. 75 and older will not need a check.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:51 pm 
da LUV masta

Well, my LUV didn't come with any of it's original smog parts, so hopefully I'm off the hook, the DMV registered it that way. :ebiggrin

I just laugh because I have to take my '82 fullsize in every damn year for a smog check, it's 8601 lb GVW which is classified as heavy duty. All this means is no EGR and no catalytic coverter. I still have A.I.R., PCV, thermostatic air cleaner, etc. The guy tells me, and I have the sheets to prove it, that it runs really clean, and is even cleaner than some of the new Hummers and Suburbans. Below average on HCs, NOx, and CO2. I was reading about PCV, that takes care of a majority of HCs which form smog, and A.I.R. helps too. If your car is in perfect (or at least really good) tune, which many especially street rodders make sure of, you don't need a lot of the smog stuff to get a clean tailpipe reading.

The thing is, the number of hobbyists with no smog equipment is minuscule compared with the number of piece of crap Toyota Camrys, Ford Aerostar Vans, Chevy Astro/GMC Safari vans, and other 80s wonders that are in Los Angeles. They do need pollution controls, and I don't think they're a bad idea. My father-in-law went to college here in Pasadena in the late 70s and he said they never saw the mountains until one day in Winter each year, and that his lungs would be burning after a football game. Smog is not good and I think if there are prudent things you can do to prevent it, such as make sure your daily driver is in good working order, then weekend cars should be fairly unregulated because they contribute basically nothing to the pollution problem, especially in places with a lot of trees (basically anywhere but LA).

Next in line please come up to the soap box.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:46 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Ya 75 is exempt but not 76. thats were they stoped, yet the "MAN" is still trying to change that but thanks to people working overtime like the good people at www.SEMA.org that have our backs and fight for our hobbie, nothing has gone as far as the "MAN" would like it to. I have hard of some older cars or trucks that are 75's that have to be smog, but i think its cuz they were form out of state, never found out for sure. but ether way 1975 is the golden year, to do what ever the heck you want to. if not ask the state reff in your area. I was going to do a 305 tpi swap from a 1986 camaro into a 1987 s10 and the reff said that he would pass it 8O . never did it cuz I traded for something else, but as long as all the smog stuff from that truck or car is in your truck and is the same year or newer then your truck and has the DLC conector and o2 sensors and so forth, it should not be a problem.

&
Project-soon to be revived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

I made a mistake in a couple of posts ststing 76 and older, I ment to say 76 and newer need smog.