LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

What intake manifolds are C.A.R.B. approved for pre 1987 small block chevys? I know the Edelbrock Performer is approved but I am looking to see what else is legal in CA preferably for a square bore carb.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:35 pm 
da LUV masta

I think how it works is that it has to be smog legal for the engine you are putting in. So if you put in an engine out of a 83 Chevy 3/4 Ton, it has to meet the 83 '3/4 Ton emissions, and parts have to be CARB approved for that year/model. Most of the mild Edelbrock (Performer, etc) intakes are (None of the high perf Victor intakes are, for example), you are right about that. And of course if your car/truck is '75 model year or older who cares, there's no smog anyhow. Am I right anybody else?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

My current project is a 78 C10. The way it sits right now I have to change motors for the smog test. I am trying to figure out some carb approved parts to throw together and make a motor run as stong as possible because 1 having 2 motors is using up garage space that can be used for other things.2 changing motors is a pain. 3 having a seperate set of heads, intake, carb, cam etc laying around is just like number one it takes up useful space. and usually the carb stuff is rated like my Edelbrock carb can be used on carbed vehicles up until 1980. My cam which I can not see it being C.A.R.B. approved (comp cams magnum 292 501) didnt come with a sticker but yet the comp cams web site says something like it is good up until 1993.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Actually there is no exemption from smog on 66 - current vehicles in California. What is currently in place is no inspection on 75 earlier vehicles. Legally they are suppose to meet thier applicable smog rules. However if you get picked out at a drive by sniffer, you will get a letter and required to bring it into compliance, which means a trip to the smog referee station. The other problem is if you P off a cop who knows the law and about cars etc. He can write you up, although very unlikely. The danger is the roadside sniffers, since they are putting them at the on ramps. A gasoline engine is it's dirtiest at idle and during accelleration. Performance cams are usually dirty at idle, however clean up as the rpm goes up. If they would put the sniffers as your running down the freeway then the performance cars will be clean, even cleaner than a lot of the detroit cars.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

What is the road side sniffer you are talking about? I have never seen anything like that up here in the sticks yet. I work for a company that mainly does traffic signal work be we do a lot of highway electrical work from street lights to water pollution testers etc but never heard of what you are talking about. I am going to try a set of Rhodes V-Max lifters with my cam and when ever I decide to get a legal intake manifold take my truck to a smog shop for a pre test and see if it will pass.

My truck is a 1978 heavy half ton it falls under the old set of rules right before they changed the GVW in 1979. Its also a federal truck so I am only required to have the thermostatic air breather hooked up and functional with the stove pipe and 1 vac line and a PCV valve. The tail pipe numbers are very lieniant for this truck. When I smogged it in august I had a 327 in it with a performer intake and my Doug Thorley headers which I am not sure if they are CARB legall or not but they were never questioned. I dont know what cam that motor had in it but it had a idle that wasnt real smoothe. The truck flew through the smog test with out problems and the pollution numbers were fairly low.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:54 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The sniffers are portable and not many around as of yet. They are concentraded in the high smog areas, such as LA, Riverside etc. I don't know if they are using them up state yet. Being portable they may have a few. It's not a big program right now, however every now and then some legislative idiot tries to make a name for themselfes and tries to get a bill thru to increase them.

If the truck does not have a factory Catalytic Converter, then they don't care about headers and E.O. numbers. If you have the header part number you can check and see if Dougs got one for them. One thing nice about the current smog test is that they don't check idle, they put them on rollers and check at 15 & 25 mph. You might still be in an area that they still use the stationary test and that would be idle and at rpm.
I believe that year HD truck came with a 350?

They have changed the numbers for passing thru the years as they believe a certain percentage should fail and they want to hit those numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:14 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

They only do the stationary test here as of now. My particular truck came with a 350 but I think they offered them from in line 6- 454 my factory air cleaner lid has the timing specs sticker on it and it list 305-454 and I think 2 inline 6 motors as well. what do you mean when you said if it doesnt have factory cats they dont check for EOs? Are you saying that I dont have to have CARB legal stuff?