LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have a 6.0L 2005 3/4 4x4 Chevy Silverado with Automatic transmission with 69,130 miles. I was coming home from a long trip this weekend and I was just coasting down a mountain pass and as the truck slowed down to between 35 and 40 about where it would downshift from Drive to 3rd the tranny started chattering like crazy. The closest I can tell you what it sounds like is....imagine you are racing to take off lug nuts with an impact wrench and pull the trigger before you get the socket on the nut. That damn grinding chattering sound. I kicked it to neutral and pulled over and couldn't find anything at all wrong. Fluid level was fine and is still farily new, no leaks, tranny temperature was fine, nothing hung up underneath, no snow or ice. Anyway I took off again and about 30 miles later I was slowing down for small town speed limit it did it again so I tapped the gas pedal and it stopped. As I was getting off the interstate the off ramp goes downhill so I let it coast down it and it did it again and a just a light tap of the gas pedal made it stop. It seemed to do it at about the same speed limit everytime downshifting from Drive to 3rd. I looked in my Chiltons and there are sensors for upshifting which I would think probably carry the signal for downshifting but I don't have a code reader to check them. I checked everything again today and took it out on the road. I ran it up and down hills let it coast just like when it happend before but I can't get it to duplicate the issue. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been into a couple OLDER tranny's but nothing since the early 80's models. Just thought i would check here before I break open the "rainy day jar" and take it to a tranny shop.

By the way, it upshifted fine going up through the speeds, kicked back when I was passing and upshifted like normal. Temperature stayed normal the entire time.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

lock up circuit in the torque converter is doing something its not supposed to be doing.

sounds like the lock up function is stuck and doesnt want to unlock when its supposed to. I bet the solenoid in the trans is failing.

A.j.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I was thinking the lock up converter also. Is this an Alison?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the replies. It's not the Allison but the 4L80-E model tranny. I've been driving all over in and out of town and it hasn't done it again. I have a couple days off next week and will be pulling the boat so I'll see what happens then if it doesn't do it before.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk