LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 pm 

Truck runs perfect for normal driving to and from work local errands etc. but today I drove a hour and 15 minutes to my buddy's house and the truck wouldn't idle below 1500 rpms when I would come to a stop. I would tap the pedal to try and get it to kick down but no luck. If I turned the truck off waited a minute or two and turned it back on it would still idle at 1500 no matter what I did. But if I allowed it to cool down it would idle at 900 again like it is supposed to but on my way home it did it again every time I came to a stop wouldn't drop below 1500 rpms. What would be causing this do you guys think? Thanks

EDIT: It's the stock carb aswell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 pm 
da LUV masta

Sounds like when you set the idle first the engine wasn't hot and now you drove it a long way, it got hot, so it idles faster. Your description of your driving habits sounds like it may not even get fully warm on your trip to work or around town errands. These trucks are cold blooded and if you have a low temp thermostat then that exacerbates the problem. That's my $0.02. Do you have a manual choke or electric? Either way the choke (if it's working) should keep the idle up when it's cold if you reset the idle lower when it's hot. If you reset the idle lower when it's hot, then it won't idle when it's cold, then you have a problem with your choke. Also probably wouldn't hurt to take a can of Gumout to your carb. I swear my Hicrappy ran better after I sat there for 20 min shooting carb cleaner in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:55 am 
Luvtruck.com Wookie

i have this problem occasionally on my datsun. my choke has only one position(damn nissan) so i ended up drilling a few holes in my choke housing so i have settings for winter, summer and fall/spring.

go for the long drive, set the idle and head home. the next morning, set the choke gap to the right setting and make sure the high idle cam is set so the screw rests on the 2nd from largest step. the primary throttle plate should be open just under 1 mm. when set. this should cure the issue.

remember working on the stock carbys is a patience thing.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:27 pm 

Cool thanks guys I will go do all that stuff right now, Yea I'm not to fond of stock carbs waiting on my Tax return to come so I can buy a Weber and a header :ebiggrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm 

I took your guys advice and let the truck warm up for 20 minutes and then went and did my daily errands came home and adjusted carb and now when warm it will idle at 800 with a nice steady idle. While at it I also swapped out the old plugs for a set of new E3 plugs part E3.46 I had laying around and WOW! Those plugs do actually make a difference. I also swapped out my coil for a MSD blaster 2 I had laying in the garage and again another noticeable gain. Idles even better, seems to have a little more get up and go plus it starts ALOT easier as well. Thanks for all the help guys :ebiggrin