LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LUV doesn't like oil?!?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 pm 

Hey guys!! I just recently picked up a 1980 LUV for $300. The truck ran decent except for the hard starting. A few vaccum lines replaced and problem solved. Just recently my stepson used my truck to go to the store but called me a few minutes later saying the truck bogged down shut off and would not start. I got to where he was at and took off the air filter cover and noticed oil all in and around the carb. I was able to get the truck to start again but the vaccum the goes from the air breather to the valve cover would gush out oil especially if I revved the motor. I pulled the hose off along with the oil cap and again the oil was spitting out of the valve cover where the oil cap belongs. I revved the motor and a huge gush of oil shot out?? I thought I may have a blown head gasket and just checked the radiator but found no oil there. I haven't really had a chance to look the truck over. The best sample I can give is it looked as if though you shook up a bottle of soda then opened the cap. This was a first for me. If anyone has any suggestions as what you might think it could be please chime in. Thanks!

94 Z28
01 Monte Carlo SS
54 Belair (under construction)
80 LUV (Work in progress)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
da LUV masta

PCV stopped up??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Any idea how many miles are on this eng.? They do have a lot of upper pressure when running. But I never had oil gush out. I wonder if it's sludged up and not able to drain down the pan fast enough?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 am 
Addicted to LUV

Broke or burnt piston.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:39 am 

tj white wrote:
Broke or burnt piston.

Ugh. Not sure how many miles on the engine. ODOM doesn't work. I was going the pvc rout thinking that maybe it was clogged and not releasing the pressure so it has to come out of somewhere. I didn't know a burnt piston would do that. Hmp! Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to dig deeper today if the weather permits (it's raining in AZ).

94 Z28
01 Monte Carlo SS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:57 pm 

Hey guys does anyone have any routing pics or diagram for the vaccum lines and/or pvc routing pics that I can use to install the proper hoses to the correct locations? Looks like the PVC valve hose is is disconnected altogether. Just for proper reference. Thanks.

94 Z28
01 Monte Carlo SS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:15 pm 
Luvtruck.com Wookie

The pcv system on these rigs really doesn't pull enough vacuum to account for all that oil....... i hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll need to tear it down see what broke. i could imagine a small hole in a piston, blown head gasket, cracked head or block, or burned out rings(though rings wouldn't be a sudden thing)maybe even a bad valve guide.

these trucks are notorious for going through head gaskets especially if they sat for a while. they have all sorts of symptoms, sometimes you'll get compression to the oil passages or water jacket, sometimes you'll get oil in the water or all of the above. if you're lucky this is the problem because it's the cheapest to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I would start with a leak down test, its cheap and no tear down needed to pin point a problem if there is one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:13 pm 

Are these izuzu engines unreliable? If so then why rebuild? I'm going to look for a v8 to swap. What's all needed for the swap? I know plenty of people here have done it so please chime in. Tips or suggestions?

94 Z28
01 Monte Carlo SS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:35 pm 
da LUV masta

Well on the Isuzu pup forums, they say that when the bomb drops all that will be left are cockroaches and Isuzu pickups.

Once I went through it and changed the fluids, filters, and tuned it up nice it's a really reliable little engine. I don't think there's a big reason to swap in a V8 as far as reliability is concerned. Just use the search function, I'm sure there are many detailed accounts on the swap. I believe it would be easier for your truck than a 72-75 truck because of the motor mounts.

Like Luvrv8 says a cylinder leak down test is damn simple and will tell you if you have a burnt valve/piston type problem. I would say a running $300 truck with a couple of problems is still a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Correctly built and maintained the G180 is a good engine. They are cheap to rebuild or you could even look for a G200 from a later model PUP. If you want a V-8 it is not too hard to do, I have a V-8 LUV and a V-6 LUV, My V-6 LUV is a blast to drive with a overdrive trans. Here is a link to a V-8 conversion.

http://www.luvtruck.com/pdf/engswap.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:43 pm 

Sounds like a plan. I'll check the truck out this weekend if it's not raining and do the leak down test. Either good news or bad new I'm keeping the truck so you guys will be hearing from me a lot. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

94 Z28
01 Monte Carlo SS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good choice on keeping the truck!! Good luck on whatever way to choose to go with the truck. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. There are ALOT of guys on here that know alot about the Luvs.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com