LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:13 pm 

Rebuilt the li'l 231 Buick V6 in our '81 Camaro a while back. Lasted about 1,000 miles and then started knocking and spun a bearing (I guess, it started knocking and overheating). Somebody told me later that I should've replaced the rod bearing caps with new ones (I didn't). Now, I hafta say, I DID wonder at the time why, when I put the plastigauge in there to check the clearance on the crank that I got different readings every time I squished it! At the time, I just couldn't figure it out. Now I realize the rod caps musta been stretched all outta shape (I guess). I want to redo the bottom end in the thing, wondering what all I'll have to replace to do the job right this time?????

Any advice?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Did you remember to rebuild the Oil pump on the timing cover, as you know the Buick V6 has oiling problems - and 9 times out of 10 the pump is the exact cause for rod bearing failures.

The best cure is to get the pump spacer kit to increase the volume of oil and to do a good blueprint job on the pump. Clean and debur the oil passages as well as possible and pay close attention to timing cover fit as the oil flows thru sections of it.

The entire bottom end bearings should be replaced and the journals should be polished as well if there not scratched, ensure that all metal shavings are removed from oil passages and pan, and it would be worth the money for balancing - that will ease the stress up on the bearings and mostly the rods.

Might want to check camshaft bearings and journals as well.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am 

make sure you have your rods checked to make sure there not out of round if there slightly egg shaped it would spin your bearings