LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: rough price for a 327
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I took all my motor parts to the machine shop this morning. I was talking to my machinist about the 327 in my truck right now and he said he might be interested in taking it off my hands for some trade. I dont really want to keep it around but I dont really want to give it away either. What would the aprox value of a small journal 327 that has less than 200 miles on it since it was freshened up and recent rebuilt stock heads 1.94/1.50 valves. I would leave it complete from intake manifold to oil pan. The motor runs good and strong for what it is and has an eddy performer intake manifold.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:37 pm 

I would think at least 500 bucks, since that is the common going price for a useable used engine from many wreckers. But, I hafta say know I would not pay as much for a rebuilt engine from a do-it-yourselfer, as I wouldn't know if it had been done correctly, and in fact I'd be highly suspicious that it had NOT been done correctly since it had such low mileage and the guy wanted to get rd of it already. I would figure he'd screwed something up and knew it.

Just my 2c worth....

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Yeah I know what you mean. I have the motor in the truck running and can drive it. I figured before he comits to anything I could show him it runs and take him for a ride in it if he wanted to. If I was buying a used motor from anyone I wouldnt spend more than 100 bucks especially if I couldnt hear it run. Just turns out I was planning on building a bigger higher hp motor when I got the 327 with the truck from the wifes dad. If I had a use for it I would keep it because it is a good motor.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:00 pm 

Yeah, that's a good point, if the buyer can see, hear, and drive it running. Makes it easier to sell for sure!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

My son just got his 327 block bored 30 over and 2. steel cranks for 100 dollars. Not sure if it is the small or big journal. he didn't really say. We will put all after market stuff it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 pm 

I picked up my 327 small journal for $300.00 complete and heard it run before I bought it. Most I have seen go for more around $500.00 though. More if the block code is of a selected few. I am not an expert. :roll: