LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: truck dies out
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm 

hello. i need advice, i have a chevy luv 4wd with 60218 orig. miles, i just had the alternator and the regulator (original) replaced. i have a brand new battery all done today.
it has a new air filter, all hoses are new, it dies out on me if i take my foot off the gas, could it be fuel filter? the truck was sitting due to an alternator problem for over a year. i started it a few times, it starts up i can drive it but i would rather fix this problem, i have to get tags and a smog before they expire in july.

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If it sat idle for a while you could have moisture, or other gunk bulit up in the fuel tank. Flush it, put in fresh fuel and a bottle of Heet, and change fuel filter. Also check if there is one next to the firewall under the hood.

FIAA: Color Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

There is a solenoid on the carb. that controls fuel for idling. It has to have power when the key is on. Make sure it does.

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:13 pm 

79-LUV'r wrote:
If it sat idle for a while you could have moisture, or other gunk bulit up in the fuel tank. Flush it, put in fresh fuel and a bottle of Heet, and change fuel filter. Also check if there is one next to the firewall under the hood.

forgive i am a blonde female so i have to make sure i understand correctly, to flush the fuel tank i add a bottle of heet?,
i have the haynes book for my truck. i took it to auto zone because i know a guy (now ;) ) that works there. he has a buddy at goodyear shop that hooked me up in putting the alternator in. my mother in law bought the alternater at pep boys almost a year and a half ago. it never was changed over sat new in the box in the bag she left the store with.
it was a little different where it would hook up to the bracket. the hole had a bushing (the guy said) and so he took it out and put a new wire to reach. pep boys computer said this one would fit , it was a good alternator my friend at auto zone said. its made by bocsh better than they have he said. anyhow after he did the work (luckily for nothing) i put 10 in gas in it.
theres just the fuel filter under neath (from memory) the guy at goodyear said i need to drive it a bit to break in the new parts and it shouldnt die out on me. it before i had the alternantor problem this truck hummed and didnt skip a beat, started up first second and just hummed. then the gen light came on, battery was dying. and then it sat because i wasnt able to fix it myself out of fear of being stuck with a truck not running and management having it towed for not running. so i didnt tinker with it , i had to move it when they repaved out park streets where i live and it didnt want to stay running if i didnt press on the gas. so i didnt ever drive it in this condition except today to get it to auto zone a mile away.

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Last edited by mzpeekabooicu on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Filters don't clog because the truck sat for a year. The gas needs a bottle of Heet in it. After it has been running and you run the gas tank low and refill it, then put on a new filter. A clogged filter would let it idle but not rev up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

rondog wrote:
There is a solenoid on the carb. that controls fuel for idling. It has to have power when the key is on. Make sure it does.

Ron,
Could the newer probably higher voltage Alt have zapped the solenoid? You may be on to something, would be an easier check/fix thatn the fuel tank flush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 pm 

79-LUV'r wrote:
rondog wrote:

Ron,
Could the newer probably higher voltage Alt have zapped the solenoid? You may be on to something, would be an easier check/fix thatn the fuel tank flush.

i was thinking one thing better would zap other things too. i just know if it doesnt turn over with the key to call daddy. my dad always keeps his autos in perfect shape spending way more money than necessary ( ie borderline ripped off at shops) but daddy is in his well retired years and not an option. i will check the solenoid tommorrow, perhaps if its cheap its best to change that as well. you guys here are awsome. thanks. :) xoxoxo

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

It's probably not zapped. On mine there was no power going to the solenoid. I didn't look into why, I just ran a by pass wire and it works great.

Don't just go buy one. Test the one you have and see if it's working first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:04 am 

ok i checked my haynes book, dumb question, i dont see solenoid in the back of the book, is it called anything else? if this helps any when i barely barely press on the gas to have a low idle its wanting to "sputter" it wont idle on its own more than a second or two, before it creates an earthquake and dies. the engine had been steam cleaned prior to dad giving me the truck.
it has not leaked a drop of fluid, all fluids are ok. the oil was nice amber color so goodyear said it didnt need changed. ( i will soon because it has been sitting) but the fluid was full as well. how about spark plugs? could they also cause this?
i have some corrosion on battery cables i need to remove i think thats done with a wire brush and baking soda, am i right?

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

1 Follow the wires to the carb one is the choke the other is the idle solenoid 2 Check the points and dist. cap for adjustment and moisture. 3 Warm to hot water will clean the cables.4 Put some Heet like suggested before only use two bottles instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:00 am 

i am learning here so i thank you for patience.
i started it up just now, it wanted to idle high on its own, hey it stayed running for a second. , then it wanted to die out if i pressed on the gas and took my foot of the gas. i was keeping it at a low/ to low medium idle with foot on the gas revving it here and there. i drove around our trailer park block once. i noticed a weird smell so i opened the hood up and it had some white smoke from under the oblong tank where the oil is put in. i think thats the oil pan or maybe its called the crank case. it is very dirty under the hood spider webs and all, , my oil plug has a triangle chunk gone on the part that sits in the hole of the opening for some reason every time i go to auto zone and "get" one its always never in possession when i leave the store. (grr) the oblong tank has crud on it could that be the cause of the smoke as the oils heating up the case) i will wipe/ dust all i can under the hood . i dont want it to catch fire so i didnt go to auto zone yet. working on cars is all greek to me as i have to learn what and where and what "it " does every other item thats described in the sentence) is there anyone close to me i am in fontana calif near the speedway. (calif. speedway) i am afraid to even go a mile up the street after seeing that smoke, it was white not black.

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:05 am 

tj white wrote:
1 Follow the wires to the carb one is the choke the other is the idle solenoid 2 Check the points and dist. cap for adjustment and moisture. 3 Warm to hot water will clean the cables.4 Put some Heet like suggested before only use two bottles instead.

(will attempt steps 1,2,and 3 now)

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:28 pm 

:D
IT"S RUNNUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O IT was the idiling speed.

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 pm 

yeah baby, its a tad rough still but its not dying on me so i figure i will try a smog soon after i run it a bit more.i am so thrilled right now, i almost spent 40 for a diagnostic on it. i priced the carb and its over 300, whew! i did put new spark plugs in it, well the guy at auto zone did. the old ones looked in poor shape anyways, this totally made my day. :smt023

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you are wanting to stay with the stock carb, I still have the one I pulled from my 79 after putting in a Weber. Truck ran great while it was in.

Take way less than $300 for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 pm 

thanks i will have to see if it passes smog. its idling , i think its the screw adjustment on the idle thats not turned correctly, i was hoping to have a go at a smog this month but i have found evidence of tampering with my truck today. i cannot prove beyond a doubt who did it but i am 99.999999% positive i know who did.
since the truck has not left the front of the mobile home in over a year and a half it narrows down just where tampering took place, (location wise)
i have Controlled substance dealers next door, they are the same neighbors that backed into me drunk without a license last halloween night, i found the damage the next morning along with thier tire marks a foot away from my truck and thier paint on my truck and my smurf blue paint on their car.
i called my insurance co who said to notify chp of a hit and run, chp came out and saw the eveidence and confronted them with it, they took the info down, the mother took the fall even though it wasnt her driving, i over hear them arguing in their house "you said she wouldnt notice" all of a sudden they were all to happy to take care of any damage but i let the insurance company deal with it. then they confonted me saying i should have asked if they hit me!!!! dumb azzes , so since then we discovered what they are "making" in the house and then one of the household tries to plant sht* on my truck but i caught him so it didnt suceed, now i find my locking gas cap seal was trashed and there are pry marks of a screw driver in the tabs that hold the locking gas cap on. they didnt get it off that i know of it only was one pin not in place so it was at a slant on the gas tank. there was a little white residue on the cap but auto zone said that can be normal on a black cap, the cap is only 2 years old and when it went out of commission i had a about 1/2 tank of gas. when i took it to auto zone the first time it was sucking on empty, auto zone said heat from in the sun did NOT cause the damage, anyhow i will be down to the sheriffs on monday , it may get smogged and tagged later than i hoped but i think i need to put an alarm on it, right now it is parked in front , gas cap in view (just replaced today with a large face locking cap)and a cam corder with night vision on it.
like i said i cannot proove it but theese are the only neighbors out of 54 that have been harrassing us, grrr sorry long post but if my problem comes back carb we will talk. :) thanks for offering.

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:30 pm 

79-LUV'r wrote:
sweet!

your truck looks so sweet. awesome.
mine looks old now, but how it is is how its been for 27 years except the gas cap, and rear bumper, so it looks okay i guess. i get a lot of stares. :)
it has original interior and decals and paint job.
http://www.luvtruck.com/Gallery/Janets8 ... index.html

OUCH!
got luv bumps?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Saw the pics, that thing is perty :)

Very well kept.