LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:57 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

A tool supply shop in my area has a good deal on gas less welders. They are a wire feed welder that uses some sort of wire that dosent require gas to weld. Sounds like a good idea. Anybody ever use one? Need some advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i have used them b4..you use a special flux core wire..they seem to work well for thin sheet metal and exhaust pipes...just dont expect to be able to weld skyscrapers w/ it :lol:

both hobart and linclon have some that can be set up either way and they run off 110. this is what i want :D .....and a plasma cutter of course 8)

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject: welder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:24 pm 
I have a cheap 110 wire feed with the flux/core wire, but it also has the option of adding the argon if you want it. It is only good for thin guage metals. I wish i had the argon. Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:20 pm 
I have the same generic POC cheap 110 v wire feed that everyone sees on sale. I have done a lot of welding with is. All the main support areas like motor mounts and stuff i use electric stick- but crank the heat all the way up on the little guy and shell weld..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

we have a linclon 110 gas MIG at my guard unit....i LOVE that welder...have welded everythin from 18ga up to 3/8 w/ it

heres on for t=yas speaking of welders....my stick welder here at the house is aOLD forney.....has the plugs you gotta plug in the leads for diffrent amps :lol: ah what the hell it was free and it still works

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject: Welders
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

While not a professional welder ( I think I fit into the SUCK section), I have a Hobart 110V wire feed welder. I have used it to weld from 20 guage to 1/4 inch thick steel and do not use gas. As the other posts have stated, it is a wire (I use .035" diameter) with flux down the center. Once you get the wire feed and voltage set right, just drag it along and it will surprise you. I did use carbon dioxide gas for a while with solid wire and found the only difference was there was less splatter and cleaning required with the gas. Now I have put the cap back in the gas port on the back of the welder and just use flux core with great results. If you look at my project truck pics posted on this site (Hugh Acosta (Rick)), you can see some of the welding I have done to the motor mounts. Just clean them up real good with a wire wheel or in my case, a Sears 50lb sandblaster. Let me know if you want more information. Oh yea, one thing, I found out that Hobart isn't the best small portable one to get. The wire feed motors tend to crap out as mine has twice in the past year. Lincoln and another well known brand I can't think of right now, use heavy duty wire feed motors (got this from a Hobart dealer) are your best choice for our scale of welding.
Rick