LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cool motor sounds...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:51 pm 
this space for rent

So yeah, i was letting my trooper idle the other day and got out to scrap the windows so i couls drive it into the shop. I just have to say, the 2.6L has an awsome sound to it :) . Its almost like a deisel whith the injector tick but not nearly as loud. Sorry just had to share :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

I finally got rid of the tick on my 2.3L when I adjusted the valves. The tick noise is the one thing that really kept me away from diesels. Never could grow to like that sound unless it was coming from something big, yellow, and had the letters CAT on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:26 am 
i would have to agree! i love the sound of my dads cat in his '01 kenworth with the two straight stacks, and i hate the sound my my dads friends straight piped cummins deisel in his dodge!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

My father in law shoe horned a CAT V8 into a late 70s Ford 4x4 pickup, and that thing sounds great. The only giveaway from outside the truck is you can see a lot of yellow peeking out the front fenderwells, that and the fact that you can fit a softball up the exhaust pipe. If you want to burn diesel in your rig, you might as well burn a lot of it, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:39 am 
heck yeah. my dads diesel is just a 6cyl. though. but it is one of those like 480 horse or whatever it was, upgraded to like 550 horse, with like 1800 ft/lbs of torque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Well im gonna be the ONLY guy on here, but i luv my Power Stroke in my Dually! I think these are just the best darned engines ever built! I have never had it fail on me and its got power to boot! Well with some upgrades though....chipped with an extra 80 hp, bigger down pipe (forget what size it was) and 5 inch inch exhaust all the way back. I just love the sound of that thing! Love to roll down the windows and put her to the floor, have the exhaust bounceing of passing building or curbs...or vehicles!! Especially when im pulling my 30 foot livestock trailer and im passing them new dodge hemi's......(you get an evil glare from those guys as you pass them) :lol: :lol: And with the bigger downpipe the you can really hear the turbo spool up!! I just love that engine..sorry guys just had to let my feelings go....... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:30 pm 
i think most people's bad impressions of diesel were from the '70s and '80s when gm thought it was a bright idea to take a 350 and crank up the compression. good gas engine, BAD choice for diesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:17 pm 
this space for rent

those things did royally suck.
And i must differ from the crowd here. Cats are all fine and good, but Mack diesles are just as cool. I mean a 700+ cubic inch inline six 8O
Thats the perfect combo for torque, diesel inline six 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:34 am 

My favorite is a Detroit Diesel 4-53T (turbo'd) with Jacobs brakes in a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup. Not exactly a factory option, granted, but really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:55 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Well i like all diesel engines! Most of them are good engines...(exception: Perkins)....... :lol: But one of the best diesel engine makers has to be Cummins. From there pickup truck sized diesels to there 425whp tractor engines (855 Cummins). They make an outstanding performer. Personally on our farm we own tractors with Cummins, John Deere, Caterpillar, and Perkins Diesels. The Cummins is by far the best bang for your buck. Tons of torque and power. Although they tend not to last as long as a Caterpillar, but still end up being better in the long run. Just a great all around engine. Just my two pennies... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:23 pm 
i am around trucks all the time, i mean semi's, log trucks,those big ones. my dad ha owned log trucks all of my life, and he is a cat junkie. i is a firm believer. they last forever, i have heard of over 1 million miles w/o a rebuid. i like the lookes of the cat the best too. the come-a-part is like a a big rectagular block under the hood, and the cat looks mre rounded, plus i dig the yellow. i love the sound of the jake coming down a hill, it is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:03 am 
this space for rent

I dont know, im sold on Macks. My dad works on big trucks concrete pumps that wiegh in at 75,000lbs, and thats a small one. In a vary harsh enviroment that a concret pump operats in the Macks realy shine. The Cats they have always have problems related to over heating whith them becouse of the high rpms while not moving for opperationg the hydrolic systems. There was one mack that came in that blew a radiator on the interstate, the operator kept running it. They got it into the shop and in the small amount of coolant left a temp reading of 260* was read. That truck is still in operation 5 years latter whith no problems. The opperator driving that truck that day was a die hard Cat guy, after that he swore that Macks had thier place right next to the Cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:53 pm 
The best cat can only purrrrr at night ......4- and a quarter cat being pushed downhill by 50,000 lb. with full jake brake....OOOOO watasound!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:27 pm 
OG Lifer

600 horse power. 1800 ft lbs of torque. At 2000 rpm. That is the shit I don't care who you are.

WATCH YOUR PIEHOLE!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:40 pm 
Cat is by far my favorite, Mack a close second, then Cummins. Had all three, by far the best one for longevity/power/cost/economy. The mack was just damn tough.