LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:04 am 
da LUV masta

tj white wrote:
:roll: JFYI the bottom of a hyd. or solid lifter is NOT flat, it has a crown in the middel of about 2thou. to make the lifter spin as it moves up and down and when it quits spinning it will flatten the lobe.

Sorry forgot that part I was just going from my memory of what the book said. So I looked it up and I quote David Vizzard

"Cost Savings on lifters. First we all know that lifters cost money. Along with this we're also told you must use new lifters on a new cam. At the risk of near-certain death by the hands of my friends in the cam industry, I have to say that's not quite true. I've used one set of lifters on as many as five different cams. The truth is, its possible to recondition lifters yourself. The innards of a hydraulic lifter don't really wear out. Usually they become noisy due to dirt, preventing them functioning as intended. Many lifters never get to this stage and all that wears is the lifter's face. I find it difficult to throw away a set of perfectly functional lifters that have worn only a couple thousandths off the face.

To restore them to usable condition, I rub them, in a figure-eight pattern, on 100 grit emery paper on a flat surface plate or a sheet of glass. About every half dozen of patterns I rotate the lifter a quarter turn. Whether we like it or not, this action generates spherical radius on the lifters face. To check how things are shaping up, use a steel straight edge or a quality machinist steel rule, or best yet a precision square. By holding the lifter up to the light you'll be able to see the form take shape The edges should be about .001-.0015-in. lower than the middle :oops: (my mistake) Do not chamfer the edges of the lifter and do not put too fine of a finish on the face as the coarser finish helps with rotation and break in."

wow lots of typing hope it was worth it!!!